Anyone have experience with Rev Translation Services?
Thread poster: Alisa Newman
Alisa Newman
Alisa Newman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:11
Member (2020)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 11, 2020

I would appreciate any thoughts other translators may have on this.
I signed up to be a freelance provider with Rev Translation Services. I did a quick internet search and they seem to be legit with no scam reports. However, I just received an email from them saying they have sent me a check for more than $2000 that I need to pick up from a UPS location. It is ostensibly so that I can buy a new computer and software package. I cannot believe that a company I have never worked for woul
... See more
I would appreciate any thoughts other translators may have on this.
I signed up to be a freelance provider with Rev Translation Services. I did a quick internet search and they seem to be legit with no scam reports. However, I just received an email from them saying they have sent me a check for more than $2000 that I need to pick up from a UPS location. It is ostensibly so that I can buy a new computer and software package. I cannot believe that a company I have never worked for would send me a check like this. Has anyone else on this forum worked with them before?

Thank you!!!!!
Collapse

Lian Pang
Lian Pang  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:11
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
SCAM!! Sep 11, 2020

Don't go!

Rev is legit but rev doesn't provide translation service anymore. Maybe subtitling translation but the payment is peanuts, lower than sweatshop rate.
And they never send checks.

There is no free lunch in this world.
It's 100% scam

Jessica Noyes
Yolanda Broad

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
SCAM! Sep 11, 2020

HI Alisa,
They're legit but there is a scammer using their name. It has already been reported. Check if their email address ends in @rev.com

EDIT here is the link to the report: https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/344780-surprisingly_fancy_scam_"globallink_rev_translation".html

[Edited at 2020-09-11 14:43 GMT]

writeaway
Jessica Noyes
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Yolanda Broad

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Don't deposit the check Sep 11, 2020

This is a scam. You might double-check the email address. Many scamsters will simulate a legitimate address, but with a gmail or similar suffix.

Alisa Newman
Alisa Newman  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2020)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much! Sep 11, 2020

I am so grateful to all of you. I checked and the email address ends in proton.com, which I'm told is an encrypted address often used by scammers.
This is frustrating because I did try to do due diligence and look them up before. I have reported this to the ATA.

Elena Feriani

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:11
German to English
+ ...
link to what looks like the same thing Sep 12, 2020

By chance there was a thread just above yours when i checked, involving the same name and similar story but with more info.

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/344780-surprisingly_fancy_scam_"globallink_rev_translation".html

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 04:11
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
rev.com Sep 12, 2020

Thanks for raising the issue, Alisa.

Rev.com is legit, I did 2 subtitling job with them few years ago. They paid via PayPal. No project since then in my language pair. I don't know how they're doing now.

Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Rev Sep 13, 2020

It's been two years that I stopped doing anything for Rev, I believe. Tasks were for subtitling and the rate was decent and sometimes good (minimum 8$ per video minute, could go up to 15$). Deadlines were seriously tight, however. Then, all of a sudden, they decide to cut the rates HARD, making the minimum at 3$ per video minute, which is the second lowest I have ever seen. Also, the tight deadlines be"came a bit tighter. Their reason was that it would be a good thing because it would "raise pro... See more
It's been two years that I stopped doing anything for Rev, I believe. Tasks were for subtitling and the rate was decent and sometimes good (minimum 8$ per video minute, could go up to 15$). Deadlines were seriously tight, however. Then, all of a sudden, they decide to cut the rates HARD, making the minimum at 3$ per video minute, which is the second lowest I have ever seen. Also, the tight deadlines be"came a bit tighter. Their reason was that it would be a good thing because it would "raise productivity for translators". Since then, every task proposed never went beyond 3$ per video minute, so I stopped translating for them and, frankly, I hope every translator will stop translating for them. Maybe this is why I see them quite often in the job directory.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone have experience with Rev Translation Services?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »