Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2
Автор темы: Samuel Murray

Xiaoju (AJ) Zhang  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 19:33
Член ProZ.com c Jan 2021
английский => китайский
+ ...
I got the exactly same email today. I should've followed my gut and checked the forum! Jan 13

Pujing Pan wrote:

Hi All,

I am probably the most recent victim (well not quite a victim since I have not lost anything yet). Just received 'Linda's' response:

Thanks so much for your response,...I agreed with your price quote and i am willing to pay for your service..This project is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so that you will know you have my job with you in the meantime. Once again the Payment option is Bank Draft , The payment will be received first and cleared by your bank before you send the document ..Kindly get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.

1. Full Name to be written on the Check

2. Full Physical Address:

3. Mobile Number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Once again payment will be received and cleared by your bank before you send the document.

What I don't understand is with the seemly non-critical info of mine, what damage could they possibly do to me?

thanks to all,
Pujing

greentree333
США
Local time: 08:33
китайский => английский
+ ...
Same guy but I refused to translate for him. Jan 14

Ana Raffo wrote:

Natalie wrote:

yugoslavia wrote:
Can you please tell me if you have the IP Address of the scammer?
I posted the IP Address in this forum. Is he located in North Carolina or Tennessee?

IPs used by scammers are spoofed and have nothing to do with the real location. Forum users are asked to provide IPs only with the purpose of blocking them (which makes the scammers' life a bit more difficult but does not prevent them from changing their IP and continue scamming users).

You need to learn main things about scams in order to be able to discern scammers from genuine outsourcers.

Hi there,

Replying to "yugoslavia," here is the name and address and telephone number of the guy as it appeared on his e-mails. No idea about his IP address:

Nicolai Røysland
4704 Burton Avenue
Memphis, TN 38104
Phone Number: ‪(423) 788-6032‬

Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:33
немецкий => английский
+ ...
my turn Jan 15

The e-mail was immediately suspicious because the person wrote as a lay person, with a message:

"Hello please, I have a document to translate from French to English. Let me know if you're interested and available to handle it."

Lay people don't write that way. I won't describe how they do write, in order to not give scammers tips. I asked them to send the document, and it was the one mentioned here, along with the desire to pay by cashier's cheque. I told them it wa
... See more
The e-mail was immediately suspicious because the person wrote as a lay person, with a message:

"Hello please, I have a document to translate from French to English. Let me know if you're interested and available to handle it."

Lay people don't write that way. I won't describe how they do write, in order to not give scammers tips. I asked them to send the document, and it was the one mentioned here, along with the desire to pay by cashier's cheque. I told them it was a scam and not to contact me again.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Debbie Fung-A-Wing
США
английский => голландский
+ ...
went silent when I asked for background info Jan 15

Mine was for English into Dutch. Got suspicious when he accepted my rate without any objections. He was going to pay by check but why did he need my bank name?
Haven't heard a thing since I asked for his background info...
Glad I checked here! Thanks all for reporting.

[Edited at 2021-01-15 21:53 GMT]

Adam Dickinson  Identity Verified
Канада
Член ProZ.com c 2016
испанский => английский
+ ...
Same here Jan 21

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

Lay people don't write that way. I won't describe how they do write, in order to not give scammers tips.

Well, we can conclude that this scammer, at least, doesn't read these forums. I just received an email with the same wording that followed directly into this scam with a request for payment via certified cheque.

The scammer now appears to be using the name Mica Kang.

Adieu  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:33
английский => русский
+ ...
Remote scammers aren't bothered by discovery Jan 22

Adam Dickinson wrote:

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

Lay people don't write that way. I won't describe how they do write, in order to not give scammers tips.

Well, we can conclude that this scammer, at least, doesn't read these forums. I just received an email with the same wording that followed directly into this scam with a request for payment via certified cheque.

The scammer now appears to be using the name Mica Kang.

Even well-known scripts are used widely, notoriery just means they need to spam/call more people to get one to bite.

Remember that, in much of the world, small time scams on rich country foreign individuals abroad are either treated as lowest priority ever, essentially decriminalized entirely, or even NEVER ACTUALLY WERE IN THE CRIMINAL CODE TO BEGIN WITH.

They don't fear discovery. They aren't even annoyed by it.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2021
One central location to store and manage multilingual terminology.

By providing access to all those involved in applying terminology (such as engineers, marketers, translators, and terminologists), our terminology management solution ensures consistent and high-quality content from source through to translation.

More info »
SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Поиск термина
  • Заказы
  • Форумы
  • Multiple search