Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jan 18, 2018

Hello everyone

I got an invite to join a new translator's directory called Translatorspot. Quite a few of my colleagues appear to have joined already. What are your thought about it?

One or two things are fishy:
* The site is in English but there are a few obvious language errors and design errors. For example: If you have 5 years' experience, it shows up as "5 year".
* There are two membership categories (translators and agencies), and both are "100% fre
... See more
Hello everyone

I got an invite to join a new translator's directory called Translatorspot. Quite a few of my colleagues appear to have joined already. What are your thought about it?

One or two things are fishy:
* The site is in English but there are a few obvious language errors and design errors. For example: If you have 5 years' experience, it shows up as "5 year".
* There are two membership categories (translators and agencies), and both are "100% free", but the terms and conditions have a whole section on payments.

Of course, they say "thousands of visitors" etc, but that is just marketing talk and I do not consider it suspect, even for a brand new web site.

Samuel
Collapse

Cuong Pham

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
Again the same trick? Jan 18, 2018

I'm waiting for the outraged Proz members starting appearing here and claiming they never registered despite having their profiles there.... or am I paranoid?
I see there for example João Roque Dias, who sometimes comes here.... if you read it João, can you confirm you really registered?
Just curious, I'm not there.

It reminds me too much of that other directory that somehow got the data of paying Proz members and made them profiles without their knowledge, with made u
... See more
I'm waiting for the outraged Proz members starting appearing here and claiming they never registered despite having their profiles there.... or am I paranoid?
I see there for example João Roque Dias, who sometimes comes here.... if you read it João, can you confirm you really registered?
Just curious, I'm not there.

It reminds me too much of that other directory that somehow got the data of paying Proz members and made them profiles without their knowledge, with made up rates and a Contact button which would connect the potential customer with who knows whom.... don't remember the name but it was a huge thread and if I remember correctly, that website was taken down by the owner.
So.... another reincarnation of the same "business model"?
Collapse

Cuong Pham

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:03
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
A telling fact Jan 18, 2018

If you search for French to English translators worldwide, you get page after page after page. If you restrict the search to the UK you get three - translators, not pages! In the US there are five. It just seems odd to me that there are so few translators registered who are based in a couple of the countries where the target language is spoken. There are only a couple based in France, too. The likely scenario is that most of these translators live in African countries where they speak French and... See more
If you search for French to English translators worldwide, you get page after page after page. If you restrict the search to the UK you get three - translators, not pages! In the US there are five. It just seems odd to me that there are so few translators registered who are based in a couple of the countries where the target language is spoken. There are only a couple based in France, too. The likely scenario is that most of these translators live in African countries where they speak French and some English. Maybe they've only just got round to publicising the site in other countries?Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Jan 21, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:
* There are two membership categories (translators and agencies), and both are "100% free", but the terms and conditions have a whole section on payments.

I asked Lukas K. (= Keller) about the payment section and their reply was predictable but is actually non-suspicious as well:

I'm sorry for this confusion. The terms and conditions are already written for future ideas.
Maybe TranslatorSpot will once cost something for translation companies.

But don't worry, it's really free for you and as I wrote in the terms and conditions:

"12. Before expiry of the contract term, the customer shall receive an invoice for renewing the contract. If the payment is not made, the contractual relationship shall be terminated. The access authorisation to the customer profile on the website shall expire and the customer’s advertisement shall be deleted."

So if you would not renew the contract or don't pay the invoice, your profile would automatically be deleted.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translatorspot

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »