Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >
SCAM ALERT: Freelancers and agencies, please beware of a scammer impersonating real translators
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Jessica Lucio (X)
Jessica Lucio (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 12:13
English to German
+ ...
Just received an email from Hema Basel, too. Aug 16, 2013

Thank you very much for sharing.

I just received an email from Hema Basel and thought it was weird because I never had any contact with this person before and I couldn't remember applying for an agency with this name.

"Dear all,
I have 2 files not at all about the quality of this first translation I need to be proofread in 5 hours.
Let me know about your rate ? Hope to hear from you asap.
Regards"

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:13
English to Spanish
No software is necessary to use somebody else's CV in PDF Aug 16, 2013

Stefania Greci wrote:

Timothy Wood wrote:

It's never a good idea to offer your cv for download or even send it to a client in an editable format. Use PDFs. They are very easy to make, straight from Word.

pdfs are not 100% safe either

Unfortunately, I don't think this would help either as there are free software on the internet that can "crack" pdf files.

No software is necessary at all. The scammer can simply read the information on your CV, type it, modify it (if he/she wants to), format it the same way as the original or in any way he/she wants, and use it any way he/she wants.

Moreover, not even the freelancer's CV is necessary. If a scammer wants to use a freelancer's name, he/she does not even need the freelancer's CV. All they need is some of the freelancer's basic professional information and they can make up a fake CV. Having the freelancer's CV only puts more information about the freelancer at the scammer's disposal, but it is not necessary for his/her fraudulent activities.

There is no safety anymore.

Maria Nerdrum
Maria Nerdrum  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:13
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Received email and CV (Pdf), which is possibly a scam! Sep 7, 2013

I have received an email today and not for the first time either from this person.

I am a Freelance Translator and listed as such. In other words; I am not an agency providing other Translators with work. I am also a Scandinavian/English Translator, who therefore clearly do not provide or offer translations in German.

I just feel really sorry for the person here, who I believe has had their CV stolen, and would like this person to know about this possible scam. I shoul
... See more
I have received an email today and not for the first time either from this person.

I am a Freelance Translator and listed as such. In other words; I am not an agency providing other Translators with work. I am also a Scandinavian/English Translator, who therefore clearly do not provide or offer translations in German.

I just feel really sorry for the person here, who I believe has had their CV stolen, and would like this person to know about this possible scam. I should also say that I receive a lot of scam mails from agencies including Languagemet.

I have not included the Pdf CV in case it is genuine, but looking at it it makes me also think it is fake. The mail address used is: [email protected]

Here is the email:

"Dear: sir/madame,

I am a native speaker of German.
My minimum rate is 0.08 Euro per source word.
But I prefer to work at 0.08 Euro per source word.
I charge for my services at least 30 Euro per hour.
And my minimum charge per document is 30 Euro.
I have obtained an official translator / linguist degree.

I have been working as a translator since 2001.
I provide the following services: Translation, Project Management, Market Research, Teaching (Language Courses).
By today, I have translated more than 1,000,000 words.
I use the following tools: Wordfast, MemoQ.
I am best in the following fields: Business / Commerce (General), Computer Hardware, Computer Software, Engineering (General), Machinery & Tools, Travel & Tourism, Hospitality, Hotel, Catering.
I am not a sworn translator.

I am available for work Full week, including weekends.
I can provide you with references on request.
The following keywords are related to my services: Travel, Hospitality, Hotel, Tourism, Guides, Menus, Restaurant, IT, Software, Hotel software, Resrevation software, manuals, documentation, installation, configuration, setup guides, technical translations

In 2001, I gained a Masters degree in Translation Studies from the University of Mainz, Germany and have been in the language service industry ever since. I have over 10 years experience in managing translation projects and translating for a variety of businesses and industries into German and English. I am also a member of the German Federal Association of Interpreters and Translators (BDU e.V.).
My main areas of expertise are technical translations (such as manuals, installation guides, product descriptions etc.) for consumer electronics and IT businesses, as well as travel, tourism and hospitality translation (such as websites, travel documents, guides and newsletters).
I take pride in providing high-quality translations always delivered on time. To me, quality is more than accuracy; it is translating both skillfully, creatively and target-group oriented and making texts sound as well written in the target language as they do in English.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you need more information or have any questions.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Hanna Abel

Contact details

I live in Dortmdunf

Germany"

[Edited at 2013-09-07 12:33 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
This CV is stolen Sep 7, 2013

from http://www.translationdirectory.com/translators/english_german/nicole_stoeber.php

Maria Nerdrum
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Stolen CV Sep 7, 2013

Natalie

Many thanks for the link.

The link you gave is that for the genuine person? Do you know if she is aware of this scam?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Maria... Sep 7, 2013

Maria Nerdrum wrote:
The link you gave is that for the genuine person? Do you know if she is aware of this scam?

... I have found this 5 min. ago... I don't know this person. But from what I see on the Internet, she is a genuine person, she has her own translation agency, is present in various directories of translators, is listed at white pages, etc.

Maria Nerdrum
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Stolen CV Sep 7, 2013

Natalie,

Many thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.

I have contacted the genuine lady and made her aware of her CV being stolen and that I have posted the information in regards to it here as well.

Hopefully it can now be stopped!

nstoeber
nstoeber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Real person indeed Sep 7, 2013

Dear Maria and Natalie,

thank you so much for your efforts and for letting me know this is going on. I wasn't aware at all and am quite in shock. Someone's obviously taken my CV. Do you know more about this Hanna Abel? I've taken all information off that site you mentioned and I'd like it to be taken out of this forum if this is possible please. At least the Email with my CV that wasn't written by me.

Maria, I so appreciate you telling me this is going on. Please get in
... See more
Dear Maria and Natalie,

thank you so much for your efforts and for letting me know this is going on. I wasn't aware at all and am quite in shock. Someone's obviously taken my CV. Do you know more about this Hanna Abel? I've taken all information off that site you mentioned and I'd like it to be taken out of this forum if this is possible please. At least the Email with my CV that wasn't written by me.

Maria, I so appreciate you telling me this is going on. Please get in touch with me at [email protected] or let me know how I can contact you.

Thank you

Nicole Stoeber

[Edited at 2013-09-07 20:32 GMT]
Collapse

Zina Asama..
Zina Asama..  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Arabic
+ ...
just posted on proz.com LinkedIn page Sep 7, 2013

I have just had contact of an alleged scammer named on proz.com. Actually the post is on proz.com LinkedIn page. how is that possible?
Could one of proz.com site editors check on it.
They have asked for the C.V and a permission to use it. I did send them the CV but didn't send them the permission. Their profile and e-mail was suspicious so I googled them and found your post and comments here.

Am I in trouble now...
See more
I have just had contact of an alleged scammer named on proz.com. Actually the post is on proz.com LinkedIn page. how is that possible?
Could one of proz.com site editors check on it.
They have asked for the C.V and a permission to use it. I did send them the CV but didn't send them the permission. Their profile and e-mail was suspicious so I googled them and found your post and comments here.

Am I in trouble now??
Collapse

Maria Nerdrum
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Real Person Indeed Sep 8, 2013

Hello nstoeber,

I have just written you an email in reply to your mail to me privately.

I will let you know if I find out more about Hanna Abel and anyone else using your CV. So far I know nothing really.

Natalie here was the real star in finding you. My work was insignificant really.

I have written a rather stroppy mail in return now to this Hanna Abel and told the person that we all know about this scam. I said they are reported and that we k
... See more
Hello nstoeber,

I have just written you an email in reply to your mail to me privately.

I will let you know if I find out more about Hanna Abel and anyone else using your CV. So far I know nothing really.

Natalie here was the real star in finding you. My work was insignificant really.

I have written a rather stroppy mail in return now to this Hanna Abel and told the person that we all know about this scam. I said they are reported and that we know where they are. This normally gives no result by the way. I say "they" as it is always a team behind it it seams.

I have not disclosed your CV to anyone other than yourself. I did not want to do it in case it was genuine. I attached it in my mail to you.

Now that I have found you it will not be given to anyone else either. Rest assure that it has been safe with me.

The email received by me will have been received by many others also and I think it is a good idea that is stays in this forum so that we all can spot it next time it comes along.

No, that is so not fun and yes, it feels degrading, but it is helpful in spotting these scams unfortunately.

I would personally be happy to see all these example fraud mails so that I can know for sure what I have got in my mail box, but by all means have it deleted and what ever you decide to do I will support you and everyone else here as well.

I will keep posting fraud mails when they come along to me as I think exposure is the only way forward for us.

I really hope you can manage to stop the fraud with your CV nstoeber. I keep my fingers crossed for you and rest assure that i will not stop here when I believe that someone has been used and/or scammed.

I am only glad I could do something useful today and for someone who also deserves it!
Collapse

Vincent Zhou
Vincent Zhou  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
Someone stole my CV Sep 12, 2013

That is a lazy guy who stole my CV but simply removed my contact and added his email accounts: [email protected] and [email protected]

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
on LinkedIn Sep 12, 2013

There was a thread on LinkedIn on him, but I don't remember in which group forum. There is a profile of Vincent Zhou, EN-ZHS Freelance Translator, without a picture, is that you?

Vincent Zhou
Vincent Zhou  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
It is me. Sep 12, 2013

Ekaterina Kroumova wrote:

There was a thread on LinkedIn on him, but I don't remember in which group forum. There is a profile of Vincent Zhou, EN-ZHS Freelance Translator, without a picture, is that you?

Thank you for your information. It is me, but same picture is there:-)

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Christine Nicholson
Christine Nicholson
Australia
Local time: 22:13
Swedish to English
+ ...
I have someone pretending to be me as well. Sep 24, 2013

I have had this happen to me too.

I have received questions through translation sites, from agencies wanting to confirm that [email protected] is my real email.
IT IS NOT!
They have received emails from that address, with text, details, resume information etc, that I have written.
I have of course NEVER allowed them to do this and I have no idea who they are or from where they got
... See more
I have had this happen to me too.

I have received questions through translation sites, from agencies wanting to confirm that [email protected] is my real email.
IT IS NOT!
They have received emails from that address, with text, details, resume information etc, that I have written.
I have of course NEVER allowed them to do this and I have no idea who they are or from where they got my details.

Of course, being on the internet open up for this, it's a part of the risk, and I am not sure what can be done.

thanks,
Christine
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SCAM ALERT: Freelancers and agencies, please beware of a scammer impersonating real translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »