Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >
SCAM ALERT: Freelancers and agencies, please beware of a scammer impersonating real translators
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:24
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
"real"? May 29, 2013

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni wrote:

I received a new e mail from this scammer, his/her e mail is [email protected], I received other suspicious e mail from the same address, but maybe with a different name, but he/she always introduce himself as the PM of a real translation agency.

Well, I don't think that there is any reason for the PM of a legitimate agency to introduce himself/herself as the PM of a real translation agency. Seems like a "real" Freudian lapsus linguae.

[Edited at 2013-05-29 10:45 GMT]

Maxime Bujakov
Maxime Bujakov  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
I, as a dual-status outsourcer/s.p. receive such fake CVs daily Jun 1, 2013

Thank you for mentioning this.

I have been receiving scores of such CVs daily.
They are usually sent to 'undisclosed recepients'.
I even tried to reply couple of times but they don't even reply.
Thank you for explaining this scam (mt or outsource and never pay).

N.B. Outsourcers - it is always a good idea to call the candidate SP by phone or at least by skype before confirming the engagement.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Why not contacting the IP service provider PalTel? Jun 2, 2013

Dear colleagues,

I think we agree: Most, if not all of those scam attempts can be traced back to an IP number (or pool of IP numbers) coming from the Palestinian Territories, serviced by the Palestinian provider company PalTel (http://paltel.ps/en/home). I often check the "Visitors" button of my Proz page and nearly none of my regular visitors is coming from Palestine except one visitor labeled as
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I think we agree: Most, if not all of those scam attempts can be traced back to an IP number (or pool of IP numbers) coming from the Palestinian Territories, serviced by the Palestinian provider company PalTel (http://paltel.ps/en/home). I often check the "Visitors" button of my Proz page and nearly none of my regular visitors is coming from Palestine except one visitor labeled as "Not logged in". When clicking the IP number, the associated IP tracer "Melissa Data" shows the above mentioned service provider. I suspect this visitor (not the provider!) to be the source of the scam mailings by looking for Proz members and members of other translator boards who offer their CV in an unprotected way (CV readable by all visitors). This also applies to direct scam attempts by those persons in the past called "Georg" and others, who is/are pretending to offer those "book jobs with 1000 pages" etc. or who answer my replies to the scammed Freemail adress. Beside: Sometimes those answers are formatted from right to left, a clear indication that it comes from a computer normally prepared for text inputs in Arabic.
My idea now would be to contact Paltel to have them looking after their client with that IP number. I think the most Palestinian companies work under very difficult conditions for some reasons and they are interested not to be abused for crime acts. And as far as I estimate the conditions in that Country, the ways to cancel those activities can be very short...So why not contacting PalTel about this subject? Maybe together with the assistance of the administration of Proz.com? At least it would also help our Palestinian colleagues to keep their good reputation!

Best regards,

Matthias
Collapse

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Just received a similar email from "Hema Basel" ([email protected]) Jun 5, 2013

I've just received an email from some "Hema Basel" with [email protected] email address. In addition, I recently had a visitor to my profile coming from Palestinian territories; the visitor's IP address was 188.161.11.217 at Palestine Telecommunications Company. Here's the content of the email:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Freelancer Rus
... See more
I've just received an email from some "Hema Basel" with [email protected] email address. In addition, I recently had a visitor to my profile coming from Palestinian territories; the visitor's IP address was 188.161.11.217 at Palestine Telecommunications Company. Here's the content of the email:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Freelancer Russian translators needed.

Dear freelancer,

I’m a project manager and I am looking for freelancer translators who can translate English to Russian and vice versa. Freelancers must have the following qualifications.

1- Can finish the project within the agreed upon period

2- Have an experience of at least one year.

We are searching for the best to collaborate with us now and in the future. If you are interested please send your CV and cover letter .

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Hema Basel

Looks like the same scam.

[Edited at 2013-06-05 09:20 GMT]
Collapse

Marlon Marti (X)
Marlon Marti (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Same email here Jun 7, 2013

looks like the "Translation Secret" scam

---

Freelancer German translators needed.

Dear freelancer,

I am a project manager and I am looking for freelancer translators who can translate English to German and vice versa. Freelancers must have the following qualifications.

We are searching for the best
... See more
looks like the "Translation Secret" scam

---

Dear freelancer,

I am a project manager and I am looking for freelancer translators who can translate English to German and vice versa. Freelancers must have the following qualifications.

We are searching for the best to collaborate with us now and in the future. If you are interested please send your CV and cover letter .

Regards,
Hema

---
Collapse

Sabine DAHL (X)
Sabine DAHL (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Same e-mail received on June 7 Jun 7, 2013

I received the same e-mail from [email protected] today.

Dear freelancer,

2- Have
... See more
I received the same e-mail from [email protected] today.

Dear freelancer,

Regards,
Hema
Collapse

Hannah Gunasingh
Hannah Gunasingh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:54
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Same here! Jun 8, 2013

I too received the same email from the same "Hema Basel". I got suspicious and checked if this company exists. Probably scam.

Hannah
================
Artem Vakhitov wrote:

Freelancer Russian translators needed.

Dear freelancer,

I’m a project manager and I am looking for freelancer translators who can translate English to Russian and vice versa. Freelancers must have the following qualifications.

Regards,
Hema Basel

Looks like the same scam.

[Edited at 2013-06-05 09:20 GMT]

Carlos Irady Heiss
Carlos Irady Heiss  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to German
+ ...
Just received the same scam! Jun 8, 2013

I too have been the target of this scammer "Hema Basel". I agree with Matthias Brombach; this kind of activities should be pursued.

Romio Pradhan
Romio Pradhan  Identity Verified
India
Member (2015)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Hema : Her way of contact :) Jun 8, 2013

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Romio,

I am pleased to hear from you.

First of all, I want to tell you about my company, its name: Translation Secrets
and our website is: http://translationsecrets.com .
You can find what information you need and if it is not enough do not hesitate to ask.

If you are inter
... See more
------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Romio,

I am pleased to hear from you.

First of all, I want to tell you about my company, its name: Translation Secrets
and our website is: http://translationsecrets.com .
You can find what information you need and if it is not enough do not hesitate to ask.

If you are interested to make a mutual collaboration, My Company have an agreement (Attached).

Please read it carefully and if you accept, sign it and resend it with your cover letter.

Regards,

Basel
-----------------------
Here is his/her Agreement

Authorization and Agreement

Can you give us permission, authorization and agreement in order for us to send your CV to our clients?
If yes, we will remove your contact details to avoid direct contacts with clients. In this case, we will use a free email, in which we will include your CV in order to receive projects and therefore we will reply on your behalf.

We can also email your certificates if needed to clients on your behalf. We will give you the projects and in cases when you are not available, we will give the projects to other translators.

If you agree, you will be considered as a close team member and consequently you will be eligible for any developmental plan. This is part of group work based on mutual cooperation because the translation market is full of competition.

Please let me know so that we start work. If you agree, sign this authorization and agreement document.

Your name

Your signature

--------------------------------------------------

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 2:25 AM, wrote:

Dear Madam/ Sir,
I will be doing as per instruction and will furnish the info Asap. Can I have a little detail about your company.
Best Regards
Romio Pradhan
Indian Language i18n and 10n expert
Sent from My Blackberry® @ Tata Docomo
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 01:47:49 -0700
Subject:

Freelancer Indian translators needed.

Dear freelancer,

I’m a project manager and I am looking for freelancer translators who can translate English to Hindi and vice versa. Freelancers must have the following qualifications.

We are searching for the best to collaborate with us now and in the future. If you are interested please send your CV and cover letter.

Regards,
Basel
Collapse

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:24
Member (2009)
French to English
Another contact name for Translation Secrets Jun 9, 2013

I have received this same email message from "Hema Basel" as mentioned above and "salah khafaja." Make sure to note the pattern of the email as well as the names.

Marlon Marti (X)
Marlon Marti (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
new translation secret scam agency? Jun 12, 2013

I have received an email similar to the ones received by translation secret and various gmail accounts related to this "company"

This one is quite similar to the previous one I received which have been identified as scam. I am not saying that this is 100% scam but please be cautious. I could not find any infos about scams related to this company name, but the style of the page and email is very similar to the translation secret scam.
... See more
I have received an email similar to the ones received by translation secret and various gmail accounts related to this "company"

This one is quite similar to the previous one I received which have been identified as scam. I am not saying that this is 100% scam but please be cautious. I could not find any infos about scams related to this company name, but the style of the page and email is very similar to the translation secret scam.

mail from: [email protected]
-------

Hi Translators,

I have a file of 3740 words, can you make for delivery not later than 19 hours after proofreading and layout similar to the original as possible.
Thanks,

Samer

-----
Collapse

languagesbureau
languagesbureau  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Thanks! Jun 14, 2013

Thanks for the information

Alexandre Tissot
Alexandre Tissot  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Thank you for the information! Jun 18, 2013

Hello,

I also received an e-mail from Hema.

Best regards,

Alexandre

Andre Damasceno
Andre Damasceno  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:24
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My turn Jun 29, 2013

See the absurd message I've just received:

Hello,
I have about 5000 words here and the rate is 0.02 USD
Hope to hear from asap.

Regards,

Hema Basel

Colucci
Colucci
Italy
Italian to Portuguese
+ ...
Translation Secrets - Pay attention on then. Jul 7, 2013

I would like to thank all of you for these informations.

I received the following mail yesterday, 06.07.13:

"Dear freelancer,

I am a project manager in a translation secrets company, I am interested to work with you and I am looking for excellent freelancer translators who can translate Italian > Portuguese and vice versa. Freelancers must have the following qualifications.

... See more
I would like to thank all of you for these informations.

I received the following mail yesterday, 06.07.13:

"Dear freelancer,

I am a project manager in a translation secrets company, I am interested to work with you and I am looking for excellent freelancer translators who can translate Italian > Portuguese and vice versa. Freelancers must have the following qualifications.

We are searching for the best to collaborate with us now and in the future. If you are interested please send your CV and cover letter to email [email protected]
you can get more information about my company from link http://www.translationsecrets.com/

Looking forward to hearing from you"

I sent them my resume and, after that, they reply me asking me to firm an authorization file that i, obviously, didn't firm it. Here are the document they ask me to firm:

"Authorization and Agreement

Can you give us permission, authorization and agreement in order for us to send your CV to our clients?
If yes, we will remove your contact details to avoid direct contacts with clients. In this case, we will use a free email, in which we will include your CV in order to receive projects and therefore we will reply on your behalf.

We can also email your certificates if needed to clients on your behalf. We will give you the projects and in cases when you are not available, we will give the projects to other translators.

If you agree, you will be considered as a close team member and consequently you will be eligible for any developmental plan. This is part of group work based on mutual cooperation because the translation market is full of competition.

Please let me know so that we start work. If you agree, sign this authorization and agreement document.

Your name

Your signature"

I have also to thank you all for creating this post to alert people about it.

My best regards for all of you.

Luiz Colucci
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SCAM ALERT: Freelancers and agencies, please beware of a scammer impersonating real translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »