Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >
SCAM ALERT: Freelancers and agencies, please beware of a scammer impersonating real translators
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Metin Cihan
Metin Cihan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 05:54
English to Turkish
If it's me Aug 8, 2012

I will say fikibok or cukubik. These are our secret passwords. ok?

Henny Willis
Henny Willis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:54
English to Indonesian
+ ...
uh oh Aug 8, 2012

Uh oh, I don't like this at all.
Thanks for the info, Lucia!

Christina McGown
Christina McGown  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
thanks Aug 8, 2012

Thanks for the warning!

Claudia Pérez Snead
Claudia Pérez Snead  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks, it's a pity! Aug 9, 2012

Thanks for the info Lucia! This really is a pity because for those of us who are legit, really want to work and are looking for opportunities, things like these limit our opportunities of getting new costumers. I always send my CV as a PDF ( I have never been comfortable with the fact that it is so easy to alter your information from a Word file) but I also use my gmail account to quote or ask for opportunities.. I guess there is not much we can do other than to try and show as much as we can th... See more
Thanks for the info Lucia! This really is a pity because for those of us who are legit, really want to work and are looking for opportunities, things like these limit our opportunities of getting new costumers. I always send my CV as a PDF ( I have never been comfortable with the fact that it is so easy to alter your information from a Word file) but I also use my gmail account to quote or ask for opportunities.. I guess there is not much we can do other than to try and show as much as we can that we are trustworthy/professional and do our research before accepting job offers from new clients. I also ask on sites like LinkedIn for references etc..Collapse

Charlotte_Tie
Charlotte_Tie  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks! Aug 9, 2012

Really helpful! Scam exists everywhere. It's really frustrated to receive none for your hard work. Be cautious!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you! Aug 9, 2012

This is valuable information. Thank you for posting it here, Lucia. It cannot be posted often enough.

Best,
Thayenga

dkfmmuc
dkfmmuc  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Just some suggestions for tiny security measures by translators Aug 9, 2012

Thank you for the warning about the scammer!

Just would like to make some suggestions for avoiding being victim of such transactions:

1.) My strategy is a risk reduction by reducing the exposure of my personal and confidential information. In most cases - e.g. for smaller projects - I only send some certificates of language education as well as the link to the positive feedback of other customers on proz.com as well as a PDF with customer feedback of another platform.
... See more
Thank you for the warning about the scammer!

Just would like to make some suggestions for avoiding being victim of such transactions:

1.) My strategy is a risk reduction by reducing the exposure of my personal and confidential information. In most cases - e.g. for smaller projects - I only send some certificates of language education as well as the link to the positive feedback of other customers on proz.com as well as a PDF with customer feedback of another platform.

IMHO a customer who is too curious is often a risk or a "late-payer". Imagine you go to a doctor, visit a lawyer or even let repair the gas heating of your house. In all these cases of a real confidential transaction noone would have the idea to ask the doctor to show his CV!

So my strategy is to reduce risk exposure by keeping things confidential. Surely I didn´t win all projects I wanted but I was also victim of one scammer who sharpened my awareness.

Further security measures:
2.) Invite the customer to visit your profile. You can then go to your profile -> view profile -> visitors and then at least the city and area of the customer. I also know that this is not exactly in respect of locating the IP address exactly. But it´s enough for clarifying a fake request which e.g. states it is in Hamburg when the IP address leads to Stockholm.

Therefore this is a great security feature of your profile

3.) On the other hand with most E-Mail programs you can click on the details of the E-Mail and will find the IP-address within the header. So proceed to an IP lookup.

4.) In any case of doubt send a letter by NORMAL post to the stated address and request the down payment of 1 Euro (for a domestic customer) by wire transfer or PAYPAL. So you have a clear trace to the customer. Most scammers you will never hear of again if you request the transfer of 1 Euro.

Hope this helps and thank you Lucia for your hint

[Edited at 2012-08-09 08:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-08-09 08:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-08-09 09:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-08-09 09:59 GMT]
Collapse

LingCom
LingCom
Argentina
Local time: 23:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for the update but... Aug 9, 2012

Hi Lucia

Thanks a lot for all the information and for calling our attention on this issue. However, I would like to know which other measures PROZ is taking regarding this.

I've been receiving EACH DAY since many months ago these fake emails. My assistant, also a translator and member of PROZ, and another friend/colleague are also suffering the same. Luckily, we realize that they are all scams and erase them immediately, but it's exhausting to be removing these message
... See more
Hi Lucia

Thanks a lot for all the information and for calling our attention on this issue. However, I would like to know which other measures PROZ is taking regarding this.

I've been receiving EACH DAY since many months ago these fake emails. My assistant, also a translator and member of PROZ, and another friend/colleague are also suffering the same. Luckily, we realize that they are all scams and erase them immediately, but it's exhausting to be removing these messages every day. I have replied many times asking "where did you find out about our company" but no answer, obviously.
For instance, today I received 5 of these CV's.

If this is coming from PROZ site, the company shall give us a PROMPT solution to this, apart from the articles about scam.

Some of the measures that may be taken, in my opinion, are the following:

- Users can only upload PDF documents or
- User can upload any format but PROZ will show them as an image, without the possibility of downloading them or printing them--- This one will be the safest.
_ Only Proz PAID users (with verified identity) are able to download CVs with their profile password

These ideas cannot be difficult to implement in a site like PROZ and would prevent these frauds.

Regards,
Paula

[Editado a las 2012-08-09 14:13 GMT]
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
ProZ.com already provides its members with the tools they need to manage risks Aug 9, 2012

Hello Paula,

Please note that the information these scammers are using (mainly CVs and company email addresses) can be taken from anywhere, not just ProZ.com. If, for instance, a company has a website, and that website provides a contact email address, they will certainly take that email address to send CVs. The same applies to translators' CVs. Many translators at ProZ.com have uploaded their CVs to their ProZ.com profiles without specifying any visibility permission, but also to p
... See more
Hello Paula,

Please note that the information these scammers are using (mainly CVs and company email addresses) can be taken from anywhere, not just ProZ.com. If, for instance, a company has a website, and that website provides a contact email address, they will certainly take that email address to send CVs. The same applies to translators' CVs. Many translators at ProZ.com have uploaded their CVs to their ProZ.com profiles without specifying any visibility permission, but also to profiles in other websites.

To prevent this sort of scam, ProZ.com provides its members with different visibility options. In the case of CV files, freelancers can choose to show them to everyone, logged-in users, paying members or even to no-one (to be used in filters), and upload them in different file formats, http://www.proz.com/settings/personalization#cv . For company email addresses, the job posting form at ProZ.com allows companies to post jobs without disclosing their email address (you can still receive job quotes via ProZ.com). And ProZ.com profiles do not show email addresses unless the profile owner decides to show them in the "About me" section for example.

So, as you can see, at ProZ.com at least, measures are already available (and have been available for years now). It's up to each site user to familiarize themselves with the different options available and to set their preferences. ProZ.com does not have control over the information its members share outside the site.

Hope this explains.

Lucia
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Each of us must take responsibility Aug 9, 2012

LingCom wrote:

If this is coming from PROZ site, the company shall give us a PROMPT solution to this, apart from the articles about scam.

Some of the measures that may be taken, in my opinion, are the following:

- Users can only upload PDF documents or
- User can upload any format but PROZ will show them as an image, without the possibility of downloading them or printing them--- This one will be the safest.
_ Only Proz PAID users (with verified identity) are able to download CVs with their profile password

These ideas cannot be difficult to implement in a site like PROZ and would prevent these frauds.

I don't entirely agree.

I think it is down to each one of us to decide what security measures are best for us, I don't think it is up to ProZ.com to 'nanny' us to quite the extent you suggest.

Although I myself originally chose to upload a PDF CV, I don't see it is up to the site to decide for us what we can or cannot upload; it is conceivable that not everyone has ready access to a DOC > PDF convertor, or may not have the time or skill to deal with it. What would be useful in my view would be an option at the time of uploading to convert whatever is uploaded to a non-editable PDF (as in you second suggestion).

After all, don't let's forget that it is easy-peasy to simply copy-and-paste text out of even a PDF document — and that's of course what a lot of these scammers are doing.

However, making them non-downloadable would for me be a retrograde step — I used to make great use of the ProZ.com system in order to encourage enquirers to go and visit my profile in order to download my CV; I would be very reluctant to lose that facility.

As for limiting downloading to paid-up proZ.com members, I don't see the advantage of that, since the very people who might want to see my CV may well be external non-members who have come looking for a translator. Again, maybe this could be provided as an option for those who wish it (just like our profile e-mail options) — but I would be reluctant to see it made obligatory.

I would like to suggest two features that would be useful to me personally:

1) An option somewhere to upload a file and have it converted to a non-editable image file; I do not have software loaded to do this, and as it is something I need very, very rarely, I would not be prepared to go out and buy, or even install for free, yet another application that I'd then have to learn how to use. Could something like this be integrated into the upload process?

2) In order to be able to communicate with non-ProZ enquirers without revealing my e-mail address (until I am sure they are bona fide), I would like a way to be able to reply to someone who is not a registered user sending me an e-mail via my profile page, without having to do so from my 'proper' e-mail address. At the moment, this is not possible unless the sender is a ProZ.com user (in which case of course I could reply via their profile page)

Do let's remember, though, that a lot of these CVs are floating around out there, not because someone has gone to the trouble of downloading them from our profile pages, but because there are colleagues who are gullible enough to send out their CVs to all and sundry without first checking the enquirer's bona fide. So it seems to me that this role of education and information is the most important thing ProZ.com needs to be doing right now — and we can all of us help spread the word.

Frankly, I get over 100 e-mails a day, at least 90% of which have to be binned for one reason or another; I don't waste my emotional energy worrying about it, I just click away and get on with it. The "There ought to be a law against it!" attitude always seems to me to be a waste of time and energy.

Andonova (X)
Andonova (X)
Local time: 04:54
Bulgarian to Greek
+ ...
Thank you! Aug 10, 2012

Thank you!

Ben Kohn
Ben Kohn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sura Ralph stole my CV Aug 14, 2012

I have been a victim of this kind of scam. Someone calling herself Sura Ralph has stolen my CV. She just changed the name and email on it and also (inexplicably) left my phone numbers and company name and website.

As a result I have had several translations agencies from all over the world (France, Portugal, UK, Australia) phoning me or sending me emails through my company email address (which they have taken off the website) looking for Sura Ralph.

Does anyone know i
... See more
I have been a victim of this kind of scam. Someone calling herself Sura Ralph has stolen my CV. She just changed the name and email on it and also (inexplicably) left my phone numbers and company name and website.

As a result I have had several translations agencies from all over the world (France, Portugal, UK, Australia) phoning me or sending me emails through my company email address (which they have taken off the website) looking for Sura Ralph.

Does anyone know if there is a blacklist to which I can add this scammer's "name"?

What concerns me most is the potential damage she can cause my company's image and name.
Collapse

Timote Suladze
Timote Suladze  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:54
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Thank you for this information! Aug 14, 2012

Idea Translations
Idea Translations
United States
Local time: 22:54
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
We have just been deceived by Sura Ralph!! Aug 15, 2012

Hi everyone!

Unfortunately, just looking in google for this person Sura Ralph, who was performing a translation job for us, I found this information provided by Ben Kohn... and I realized we had been deceived!! In fact, the CV Sura sent had Ben's name replaced on the first page but not on the second page!! So you see the name "Sura Ralph" on the first page, but the name "Benjamin Kohn" on the second page... if you are not paying extra attention it is possible you do not even notice.
... See more
Hi everyone!

Unfortunately, just looking in google for this person Sura Ralph, who was performing a translation job for us, I found this information provided by Ben Kohn... and I realized we had been deceived!! In fact, the CV Sura sent had Ben's name replaced on the first page but not on the second page!! So you see the name "Sura Ralph" on the first page, but the name "Benjamin Kohn" on the second page... if you are not paying extra attention it is possible you do not even notice...

I cannot believe how a person can be doing this... please beware of him/her and alert your colleagues!!!!

Ben, if you wish I can send you the CV we received, in case you need any kind of proof, just send us a private message if we can help you.

Best,

Maricel
Collapse

Wieland Haselbauer
Wieland Haselbauer  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Identity of scammers impersonating real translators Aug 16, 2012

Hello folks,
I must admit I joined your club. Someone scams using my identity. Exactly the same way as described here. The problem is not that he may snatch away jobs from me (often I have more than enough) but that he pretends to write in my name and delivers a very poor Machine translated quality under my name.

I work regularly for agencies (more than 150 in total), and several of them inquired why I spam them every week with the same message although we already have a busin
... See more
Hello folks,
I must admit I joined your club. Someone scams using my identity. Exactly the same way as described here. The problem is not that he may snatch away jobs from me (often I have more than enough) but that he pretends to write in my name and delivers a very poor Machine translated quality under my name.

I work regularly for agencies (more than 150 in total), and several of them inquired why I spam them every week with the same message although we already have a business relation for years.

a few colleagues send me the IP in header lines of the spam mail, which is 37.75.214.130

This belongs to the Address: inetnum

Search result:

inetnum: 37.75.212.0 - 37.75.215.255
netname: PS-ORANGE-PALESTINE
descr: Orange Palestine Group Co. for Technological Investment Joint Stock Private Company
mnt-by: Orange-MNTNER

If you got such mail, check which IP they come from. Maybe it helps to identify the originator.

Best regards
Wieland Haselbauer
Real email address : [email protected]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SCAM ALERT: Freelancers and agencies, please beware of a scammer impersonating real translators

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »