Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >
SCAM ALERT: Freelancers and agencies, please beware of a scammer impersonating real translators
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Mark Elliott Shapiro
Mark Elliott Shapiro  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:32
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Thank you so much for the information May 18, 2014

Thank you, Lucia, for this very important information.

Best,
Mark

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:32
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just reposting this in case anyone missed it... May 18, 2014

Maybe someone should contact the bank: http://www.islamicbank.ps/?TemplateId=contact&PageId=67&MenuId=6&Lang=1

Maria Janum wrote:

Hi ,

We like everyone have been plagued by these scams - typically 20 a day all with ripped off CV's and variants of the persons real name and hotmail or gmail.

We'd received an immaculate CV from Charles James - Charles if you're out there someone is ripping off your CV - claiming to be a FR>EN translator and using the email ([email protected])

So we thought we'd follow the rabbit down the hole so to speak and actually give the scammer a job.

We set up a fake email on behalf of a fictitious translation company and gave the scammer a small job with a fake PO that had the small print that stated that the translator guaranteed that he was who he said he was - with payment terms of 30 days.

After agreement on rates "Charles" duly returned the small job duly google translated.

We then upped the stakes by giving him a larger job of 32k words.
Charles requested upfront pay which we refused citing the fact that we'd been scammed before (ha ha).

After much to-ing and fro-ing we agreed that Charles would send screen prints of the translation to prove that it had been done.

2 weeks later the images of the translation were sent and Charles requested payment via PayPal.

The images were of a nonsense translation - quelle surprise!

We declined the request for a Paypal payment citing our standard payment terms and said we needed an actual bank account....

Finally we got it :

Account holder: kamel M M salama
Acount no. 834 4052547
Bank name: Palestine Islamic Bank
Bank adress: Gaza,Palestine
SWIFT/BIC code:PIBCPS22

I urge you all to take the same tack and waste as much time as possible of this idiot by assigning him jobs and not paying...

Update to follow

[Edited at 2014-05-18 15:07 GMT]

Mustafa Fadhel
Mustafa Fadhel
Local time: 11:32
Arabic to English
+ ...
Languagemet May 20, 2014

thank you for sharing and me myself been getting mails from Languagemet once they are asking for CV then to sign a subcontract with them then a test for job then a job and they don't pay then again all those kind of emails with different names
Khaled Mohammed
Hanaa Shammala
[email protected]
[email protected]>

I am still not sure but
... See more
thank you for sharing and me myself been getting mails from Languagemet once they are asking for CV then to sign a subcontract with them then a test for job then a job and they don't pay then again all those kind of emails with different names
Khaled Mohammed
Hanaa Shammala
[email protected]
[email protected]>

I am still not sure but will keep looking if they are scam or bulling or just not pro.

thanks
Collapse

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
Local time: 09:32
English to Polish
+ ...
Please don't look! May 21, 2014

This issue is already resolved.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Eija Teppo
Eija Teppo
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
They are out there again as Globalspeech! Mar 1, 2016

Here the emails:

​I will need the translation back before my EOB today. (​6:30 p.m. EST)

For now we would like to get you started with this small projects as we do get big projects for ​​Finnish language.

​Rate :0.08 $

-----------------------
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2016 1:37 AM
To: Eija C
Subject: Re: ​Finnish language

... See more
Here the emails:

​I will need the translation back before my EOB today. (​6:30 p.m. EST)

For now we would like to get you started with this small projects as we do get big projects for ​​Finnish language.

​Rate :0.08 $

-----------------------
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2016 1:37 AM
To: Eija C
Subject: Re: ​Finnish language

kindly, start working with a high quality and plz try to follow the po as hard as you can. we want to enlist this client in our list plz help me and yourself as well. You are my translator so do not let me down

Samanta Rowe | Global Speech

Project Manager

E-mail: [email protected]

Web: www.globalspeech.co

Adress: Sarphatistraat 614 1018 AV Amsterdam, Netherlands

The payment is via PayPal within 45 day upon the receipt of invoice on [email protected]

This email and any attachments transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify our mail manager at [email protected]

This e-mail and any attachments have been scanned for the presence of computer viruses. Multi Languages Ltd accepts no responsibility for computer viruses once this email has been transmitted.

IMPORTANT

"The information contained herein is confidential and private. It is solely intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action based upon the contents of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Arcadialanguages Services is neither liable for the proper, complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in the receipt"
Collapse

João Roque Dias
João Roque Dias
Portugal
Local time: 08:32
English to Portuguese
Shameless scammers Mar 1, 2016

Even being fully exposed here:
http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-notes.htm#n75

this gang from "Globalspeech" continues to use the address of a legitimate company in The Netherlands:
http://www.languagelab.nl/english/contact
... See more
Even being fully exposed here:
http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-notes.htm#n75

this gang from "Globalspeech" continues to use the address of a legitimate company in The Netherlands:
http://www.languagelab.nl/english/contact

Their website is now closed, and, of course, all their communication is done by Gmail.

[Edited at 2016-03-01 21:14 GMT]
Collapse

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Thank you, Lucia and all of you! Oct 13, 2016

I haven't had time to read all the contributions, but Lucia's initial post and the replies I have read are very valuable, and I am earmarking this topic to read through it entire.

The web is rather like the concourse of a railway or subway (underground) station, frequented by all sorts of people, good and bad. Over the years, I have had valuable advice from Lucia and the staff at Syracuse to help cope with the perils seeking to make inroads on this nevertheless valuable electronic h
... See more
I haven't had time to read all the contributions, but Lucia's initial post and the replies I have read are very valuable, and I am earmarking this topic to read through it entire.

The web is rather like the concourse of a railway or subway (underground) station, frequented by all sorts of people, good and bad. Over the years, I have had valuable advice from Lucia and the staff at Syracuse to help cope with the perils seeking to make inroads on this nevertheless valuable electronic highway.

My thanks again to you all!

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - Translator 41189)
Collapse

Adam Warren
France
Member (2005)
French to English
I think you should utter a qualified warning Oct 13, 2016

Jessica Noyes wrote:

Hello, All,
I received an e-mail, worded a little differently, from the same person who contacted Ana Lucia. It was cc'd (not blind copied) to 92 different translators, and I could see all their addresses. If I hit "Reply All," I could reach all of them.
So here's my question. Should I reply to the group and warn them about this probable scammer? Is it my civic duty to do this for my colleagues? My concern was that the scammer might target and harass me on line in any number of ways in retaliation. Or, perhaps, she is really not a scammer, just a careless PM from a bona fide company. Thoughts?

The letter Ana and you received is not phrased in the language of a professional linguist, but has the hallmarks of a scam. Furthermore, the presumed scammer betrayed eagerness to get hold of your C.V.! I emphasise that this is not a usual business practice, as agencies prefer to keep their principals separate from their providers. Something fishy there!

I think a brief, carefully-phrased warning to the 92 other colleagues would be showing solidarity, which is constructive for our profession. I am not clear how the writer is going to retaliate, if you take care to cross the relevant name off the list, and carefully inspect it before dispatching the warning e-mail. It may also be worth point-sampling the addresses to see if they are genuine linguists, and crossing off any improbable-looking addresses.

You should include such wordings as "I am acting in good faith" and "as I understand it...": the burden of proof is on the presumed scammer. And to avoid being besieged by abusive e-mails, you can put the scammer's address on the blacklist for your mailbox. In view of what I said earlier, it might be an idea to suggest that your colleagues do not send their C.V. to the scammer's address.

I can only exhort you to do this, not force your hand. It may well be doing your colleagues a good turn.

With my best wishes,

Adam Warren (Proz.com:IanDhu - Translator 41189)

Adam Warren
France
Member (2005)
French to English
A corollary - look for the out-of-the-ordinary detail Oct 13, 2016

I've gone through the posts in this topic, with great interest.

One thing that recurs is that something always "hallmarks" a scam: poor style, unbusinesslike approach or expressions, amateurishness, something out of the ordinary.

We should be on the lookout for such telling details. It will save us most if not all the trouble some ill-intentioned people are trying to spring on us.

Thank you all for a very constructive debate.

With kind regards,
... See more
I've gone through the posts in this topic, with great interest.

One thing that recurs is that something always "hallmarks" a scam: poor style, unbusinesslike approach or expressions, amateurishness, something out of the ordinary.

We should be on the lookout for such telling details. It will save us most if not all the trouble some ill-intentioned people are trying to spring on us.

Thank you all for a very constructive debate.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (Proz.com: IanDhu - Translator 41189)
Collapse

Adieu

Linguainfo Services
Linguainfo Services
India
Local time: 14:02
Armenian to English
+ ...
Beware Apr 20, 2017

Hi,
They are back again and Today approached us for new job,
Thank you proz team for your initiative against these fraudsters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Mohammed Salama wrote:
Hello,

Attached please find the Italian source text as well as a bilingual rtf file, a Trados compatible file and a
... See more
Hi,
They are back again and Today approached us for new job,
Thank you proz team for your initiative against these fraudsters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Mohammed Salama wrote:
Hello,

Attached please find the Italian source text as well as a bilingual rtf file, a Trados compatible file and a TM export for IT>EN.
Please let me know if you can take on this job and if a delivery by 26-4-2017 is managable.
What is your quote?

Thanks in advance!

SUBJECT
Translation + revision
File: ricorso 414 cpc | Italian/English (GB) - Translation document (pp 1-36)

LANGUAGES:
Italian/English (GB)

INFORMATION
Customer: Semperit Aktiengesellschaft Holding

DEADLINE
26-04-2017 15:00 GMT

7334 Word(s) Translation
1301 Word(s) Translation Repetitions

we can pay 0.03 USD per word.

R,
Salama

R,
Mohammed

[Edited at 2017-04-20 03:08 GMT]
Collapse

Tanya Vasileva
Tanya Vasileva  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 10:32
Member (2014)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
They are again in the market! Please, be careful! Aug 4, 2017

Hi,

I received this today:

Hello,

Are you available to translate this 4 files? If yes what is your deadline and price per no match?? PPTX has notes.
Thank you

Project Manager
A
... See more
Hi,

I received this today:

Hello,

Are you available to translate this 4 files? If yes what is your deadline and price per no match?? PPTX has notes.
Thank you

Project Manager
A dress: Sarphatistraat 614 1018 AV Amsterdam, Netherlands

The e-mail address, the company name, the website and the post address are rubbish! I did check this.
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:32
Japanese to English
+ ...
Scam alert Aug 5, 2017

Cherchez la Gaza!

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Contact Aug 5, 2017

Tanya Vasileva wrote:

Hi,

I received this today:

Hello,

Thank you

Project Manager
A dress: Sarphatistraat 614 1018 AV Amsterdam, Netherlands

The e-mail address, the company name, the website and the post address are rubbish! I did check this.

Since their contact details are fake, how are you supposed to contact them in order to... well, get scammed? O_o

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
By email, Mirko, by email Aug 5, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
Since their contact details are fake, how are you supposed to contact them in order to... well, get scammed? O_o

To get scammed, you don't need anything else, besides an email address.

Adieu

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SCAM ALERT: Freelancers and agencies, please beware of a scammer impersonating real translators

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »