Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >
SCAM ALERT: Freelancers and agencies, please beware of a scammer impersonating real translators
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
How can I block these fake emails? Oct 8, 2013

I can't see anything in the six million messages above saying how to stop these emails coming in.

Yes I can just delete them, but every email coming in disturbs my work and I'm getting upwards of 20 of these a day, so I would be grateful for any suggestions!

Neither Outlook nor Norton appear to block specific IP addresses.

[Edited at 2013-10-08 14:20 GMT]

José Sousa
José Sousa
Portugal
Local time: 07:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same here :( Oct 9, 2013

Unfortunately I have also been a target for this kind 'agencies'. After some time I realized my CV was kept untouched, except for the email. They have created a new one and sent to my references. Those agencies working with me for so many years moved and started to work with this Asian companies. Some of them realized it was a scam, other took some time to understand. I still get a lot of email from them. They give your real email address to other alias. I receive daily email of new people askin... See more
Unfortunately I have also been a target for this kind 'agencies'. After some time I realized my CV was kept untouched, except for the email. They have created a new one and sent to my references. Those agencies working with me for so many years moved and started to work with this Asian companies. Some of them realized it was a scam, other took some time to understand. I still get a lot of email from them. They give your real email address to other alias. I receive daily email of new people asking for tests. Some test are over 3k words. That is, they split a project into smaller ones, ask for tests and have the whole file translated. While I was stupid to accept their very low fees and before I could understand this was a scam, I invoiced 10321 USD that were never paid.

Once in a while I try to reach them, but there is never a reply!

For a while I worked for them because I needed the money, even for such a low rate, now I understand I lost time, money and a lot of my credibility as my name is know connected to poor quality translation.
Collapse

Heather McCrae
Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:49
German to English
scams in Germany Oct 31, 2013

please read this article as well (in German):

http://www.aticom.de/de/Aktuelles/Aktuelle_Meldungen.cfm

very important!

Marlene Curtis
Marlene Curtis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It has happened Again Nov 11, 2013

If you receive an email with the address [email protected] (please, see file:///C:/Users/Marlene/Downloads/Powerful%20translation%20(%20EnglishPortuguese%20)%20skills%20between%20your%20hands%20(2).htm) on my behalf, just dismiss it, the sende... See more
If you receive an email with the address [email protected] (please, see file:///C:/Users/Marlene/Downloads/Powerful%20translation%20(%20EnglishPortuguese%20)%20skills%20between%20your%20hands%20(2).htm) on my behalf, just dismiss it, the sender is a scammer and the email is a fake; he or she stole my CV and, from time to time (and I am not sure how often) offers translation services in my name.

A translation company's project manager who knows me well has just received one of these emails (the third time) and has just notified me.

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about it but to spread the word.

Marlene Curtis
Collapse

Lorraine Dubuc
Lorraine Dubuc  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
Very helpful Nov 11, 2013

Thank you so much!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quotes hidden post.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Duplicate of http://www.proz.com/post/2255771#2255771
julie08065
julie08065
United States
Member (2009)
Russian to English
+ ...
"SCAM ALERT: Freelancers and agencies, please beware of a scammer impersonating real translators Jan 24, 2014

"SCAM ALERT: Freelancers and agencies, please beware of a scammer impersonating real translators 17:23

Hello all:

Early this week an ongoing scam using the impersonation of real translators and the emulation of their emails as a point of contact was reported. Someone was using my real name and my resume to get a job as a translator. They used the below listed emails for communication and PayPal payment. Please be aware! Thank you, Galit Aviv.

russian.hebre
... See more
"SCAM ALERT: Freelancers and agencies, please beware of a scammer impersonating real translators 17:23

Hello all:

Early this week an ongoing scam using the impersonation of real translators and the emulation of their emails as a point of contact was reported. Someone was using my real name and my resume to get a job as a translator. They used the below listed emails for communication and PayPal payment. Please be aware! Thank you, Galit Aviv.

russian.hebrew.translator at gmail.com
languagepower1 at gmail.com
localization.world.team at gmail.com
translation.world.monitor atgmail.com
Collapse

Anne Pinaglia
Anne Pinaglia
Netherlands
Italian to English
+ ...
I would also like to be able to block them Feb 4, 2014

I get so many of these emails every day and it is disrupting. I have tried to contact as many people as possible from the modified CVs (sometimes the scammers don't bother to change phone numbers or the translator is on Proz) but most original people are impossible to find, if they even existed in the first place. I have the main IPs where I have received mail from: 209.85.223.182, 209.85.214.46, 209.85.214.169 and I have looked around on how to report spam originating from IP addresses... nothi... See more
I get so many of these emails every day and it is disrupting. I have tried to contact as many people as possible from the modified CVs (sometimes the scammers don't bother to change phone numbers or the translator is on Proz) but most original people are impossible to find, if they even existed in the first place. I have the main IPs where I have received mail from: 209.85.223.182, 209.85.214.46, 209.85.214.169 and I have looked around on how to report spam originating from IP addresses... nothing. Does anyone have any info on how to help stop this?

Anne

P.S. Interestingly enough, I only started receiving these emails once I put my company on the Blue Board here on Proz.

(edited to include the above note)

[Edited at 2014-02-04 11:26 GMT]
Collapse

julie08065
julie08065
United States
Member (2009)
Russian to English
+ ...
Somebody is pretending being me Feb 4, 2014

Early this week an ongoing scam using the impersonation of real translators and the emulation of their emails as a point of contact was reported. Someone was using my real name and my resume to get a job as a translator. They used the below listed emails for communication and PayPal payment. Please be aware!

russian.hebrew.translator at gmail.com
languagepower1 at gmail.com
localization.world.team at gmail.com
translation.world.monitor atgmail.com

Thomas Keresturi
Thomas Keresturi  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
Beware of scammers pretending to me me! Feb 6, 2014

Somebody pretending to be me has been sending emails to Proz agencies and freelancers under my name and using my CV.

PLEASE BEWARE OF THE FAKE EMAIL ADDRESSES:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Agencies should be very careful and ALWAYS check the profile of any freelance translator contacting them for R
... See more
Somebody pretending to be me has been sending emails to Proz agencies and freelancers under my name and using my CV.

PLEASE BEWARE OF THE FAKE EMAIL ADDRESSES:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Agencies should be very careful and ALWAYS check the profile of any freelance translator contacting them for REAL information and especially the CORRECT email address.

Thanks you for your time.

Thomas Keresturi
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:49
German to English
+ ...
They won't help Feb 6, 2014

Anne and Paolo Boidi wrote: ... I have the main IPs where I have received mail from: 209.85.223.182, 209.85.214.46, 209.85.214.169 and I have looked around on how to report spam originating from IP addresses.

Those IP addresses all belong to Google in California. I suppose the emails were all sent from a gmail account, so that is not helpful (unless Google is willing to cooperate and, for example, supply a real, non-gmail, address for the sender).
(I used http://en.utrace.de to find where the IP addresses are located.)

Part of the defence against this (but not very useful once it has happened) is to minimise the amount of information in the CV available from your Proz profile. See this thread on a similar subject that I started a few weeks ago:
http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/259561-bad_translator_impersonates_a_good_one.html

Oliver

Maria Janum
Maria Janum
Local time: 08:49
English to Danish
+ ...
Taking on the scammers Feb 27, 2014

Hi ,

We like everyone have been plagued by these scams - typically 20 a day all with ripped off CV's and variants of the persons real name and hotmail or gmail.

We'd received an immaculate CV from Charles James - Charles if you're out there someone is ripping off your CV - claiming to be a FR>EN translator and using the email ([email protected])

So we thought we'd follow the rabbit down the hole so to speak and actually give the scammer a
... See more
Hi ,

We like everyone have been plagued by these scams - typically 20 a day all with ripped off CV's and variants of the persons real name and hotmail or gmail.

We'd received an immaculate CV from Charles James - Charles if you're out there someone is ripping off your CV - claiming to be a FR>EN translator and using the email ([email protected])

So we thought we'd follow the rabbit down the hole so to speak and actually give the scammer a job.

We set up a fake email on behalf of a fictitious translation company and gave the scammer a small job with a fake PO that had the small print that stated that the translator guaranteed that he was who he said he was - with payment terms of 30 days.

After agreement on rates "Charles" duly returned the small job duly google translated.

We then upped the stakes by giving him a larger job of 32k words.
Charles requested upfront pay which we refused citing the fact that we'd been scammed before (ha ha).

After much to-ing and fro-ing we agreed that Charles would send screen prints of the translation to prove that it had been done.

2 weeks later the images of the translation were sent and Charles requested payment via PayPal.

The images were of a nonsense translation - quelle surprise!

We declined the request for a Paypal payment citing our standard payment terms and said we needed an actual bank account....

Finally we got it :

Account holder: kamel M M salama
Acount no. 834 4052547
Bank name: Palestine Islamic Bank
Bank adress: Gaza,Palestine
SWIFT/BIC code:PIBCPS22

I urge you all to take the same tack and waste as much time as possible of this idiot by assigning him jobs and not paying...

Update to follow
Collapse

Tammi L. Coles (X)
Tammi L. Coles (X)
German to English
Why you should use your own domain name Mar 5, 2014

I have been filtering @Hotmail.com addresses because of this nonsense, but one real person got caught in the trap. Oops.

I wrote to her with the recommendation that she register a domain. For the cost of about two cups of coffee or a movie ticket, you can have your own domain address that you can use *with* Hotmail or GMail on the backend. An annual cost of 10€ is worth the investment in your personal brand, I say.

Steps:
1. Register a domain name (Google "regi
... See more
I have been filtering @Hotmail.com addresses because of this nonsense, but one real person got caught in the trap. Oops.

I wrote to her with the recommendation that she register a domain. For the cost of about two cups of coffee or a movie ticket, you can have your own domain address that you can use *with* Hotmail or GMail on the backend. An annual cost of 10€ is worth the investment in your personal brand, I say.

Steps:
1. Register a domain name (Google "register personal domain name" if you need assistance.)
2. Follow the domain registrars instructions for setting up one of the included email addresses.
3. Forward mail to your preferred free Hotmail, Yahoo, or GMail address.
4. Set your preferred email to send as the paid address.

It's explained well here: http://www.problogger.net/archives/2012/02/13/how-to-set-up-an-email-account-that-uses-your-domain-name/. Do NOT use GoDaddy, despite the article's recommendation; google NoDaddy for reasons.

While this will not stop someone from using your Proz.com CV or spoofing your email address, it will at least get it past those, like me, who are ignoring/filtering/trashing most of the free email addresses these days.

On a different note, this >

So we thought we'd follow the rabbit down the hole so to speak and actually give the scammer a job.

Glad that someone else is willing to play with them for a bit. I look forward to the update.
Collapse

swisstell
swisstell
Italy
German to English
+ ...
Thanks, looks familiar indeed Mar 28, 2014

see my posting "a crook is trying to usurp my CV" etc. of today.

[Edited at 2014-03-28 16:08 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SCAM ALERT: Freelancers and agencies, please beware of a scammer impersonating real translators

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »