Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 16:12
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
All times should be shown in your time zone Nov 28, 2008

d_williams wrote:
It's very good that we can now set our time zone settings etc., but does it only affect the time displayed at the top of the pages, or also correct the times given for when a question was posted, for example? I previously thought this must be governed by where the ProZ server is, but it never correlated with reality (according to my system clock etc.).

Hi d_williams,

All times on the site should be shown in your time zone now (unless explicitly specified otherwise).

Best regards,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for suggestions, ttagir Nov 28, 2008

Hi ttagir,

Thanks for the ideas. It is tricky to make time zone distinctions clear without being too verbose. Your suggestions to try using different colors and to clarify the difference between users' different time zones are helpful and have given me food for thought. Thank you!

Best regards,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Will show users' local time in more places on the site Nov 28, 2008

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

I think putting this under the photo (next to Country or under) would be more useful.

Because now the only way seeing somebody's time we should visit his/her page, but if you put it under the photo we can see it in Forum posts, in KudoZ and also in directories (of course with some modifications)

Hi M. Ali,

Good idea, thank you. I will add users' local time to more places on the site, as you suggest.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Now showing forum posters' local times Nov 28, 2008

Forum posters' local times (and the difference between that and your own local time) are now shown on the left side of each post. Is this style of presentation useful?

Thanks,

Jason

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
I don't know others' opinion but.. Nov 28, 2008

Jason Grimes wrote:

Forum posters' local times (and the difference between that and your own local time) are now shown on the left side of each post. Is this style of presentation useful?

Thanks,

Jason

I like it. Excellent work.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:12
German to English
+ ...
I just noticed this tonight Nov 28, 2008

Very, very nice people. Thank you for continuing to improve the usability of this site all the time.

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Local time: 21:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
great idea Nov 29, 2008

Jason Grimes wrote:

I think it's great, Jason. Thanks!

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Added local time and time difference to KudoZ, profiles, directories Dec 1, 2008

Display of local time and time difference has been added to KudoZ, profiles, and the directories, using the same format as these forum posts. Thanks for the helpful feedback!

Best regards,

Jason

Kristina Kolic
Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Great improvement Dec 1, 2008

Thank you, Jason, for this great improvement, which will make networking and contacts much easier for both translators and outsourcers.

psicutrinius
psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Local time gone astray? Jan 7, 2009

As of right now, I see local time here (Western Europe, Spain) to be GMT+0, whereas it is GMT+1. I don't know why or when, but the fact is that this is wrong...

[Editado a las 2009-01-07 03:59 GMT]

Alexandra Staneva
Alexandra Staneva  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 22:12
Member (2008)
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
wrong time Jan 7, 2009

The same with me! It seems there is a bug in showing time - all countries show GMT+0000,

I hope you will fix it soon since this feature is very helpful.

Happy New Year!

Alexandra

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 17:12
SITE STAFF
Thanks for reporting this Jan 7, 2009

Hello psicutrinius and Alexandra,

I appreciate your reporting this matter. Our developers are aware of the issue and are currently working to resolve it. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for your patience while this is fixed.

Best regards,

Jared

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Time zone glitch should be fixed now Jan 7, 2009

The time zone glitch should be fixed now. Please let me know if it still isn't working for you. Thanks for reporting the problem.

Best regards,

Jason

psicutrinius
psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Problem solved.. Jan 10, 2009

Has taken a while until I noticed it, but solved it is.

Thanks, Jason

Harry Hermawan
Harry Hermawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 03:12
English to Indonesian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
WIT - West Indonesia Time (WIT) vs Waktu Indonesia Timur (WIT) Feb 4, 2009

The first time I saw WIT, I thought it was Waktu Indonesia Timur abbreviated WIT in Indonesia. For most Indonesians, as far as I know and understand, this is the case. So I tried to change the feature to Waktu Indonesia Barat (WIB) then I realized it was not so.

So, WIT is a translation of West Indonesia Time at ProZ.com.

Suggestion: if the target is the world GMT (+7), GMT (+8), GMT (+9) or UTC instead of GMT, would be appropriate, but for Indonesian audience please l
... See more
The first time I saw WIT, I thought it was Waktu Indonesia Timur abbreviated WIT in Indonesia. For most Indonesians, as far as I know and understand, this is the case. So I tried to change the feature to Waktu Indonesia Barat (WIB) then I realized it was not so.

So, WIT is a translation of West Indonesia Time at ProZ.com.

Suggestion: if the target is the world GMT (+7), GMT (+8), GMT (+9) or UTC instead of GMT, would be appropriate, but for Indonesian audience please leave as is.
Reference: http://time.kim.lipi.go.id/

Waktu Indonesia Barat (WIB)
Reference: http://www.world-time-zones.org/zones/waktu-indonesia-barat-west-indonesia-standard-time.htm

Waktu Indonesia Tengah (WITA)
Reference: http://www.world-time-zones.org/zones/waktu-indonesia-tengah-central-indonesia-standard-time.htm

Waktu Indonesia Timur (WIT)
Reference: http://www.world-time-zones.org/zones/waktu-indonesia-timur-east-indonesia-standard-time.htm

Cheers,
Harry
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing time zone and date/time localization

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »