Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Translation contest: "Celebrations", congratulations to the first round of winners!
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Nadira Mahgoun
Nadira Mahgoun
Canada
Local time: 21:00
French to Arabic
+ ...
le concours de traduction Dec 30, 2014

Moi aussi je pense la meme chose , et j'ajoute ma voix a celle de Martine Joulia.le concours est tres long.

i think the same thing and i second you Joulia .the contest is extremly long .

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Michal Fabian
Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:00
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
To sum up this contest in a few words: Dec 31, 2014

Don't nobody care no more.

ANDA PENA RO
ANDA PENA RO  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
French to Romanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Suggestions Jan 2, 2015

Happy New Year to all Proz.com Staff!

I would like to make some suggestions, as follows:

1. concerning Kudoz: The desagree peer comment is useless and even more than that, a little hurtful and aggressive, knowing that I spent time and energy trying to help the others. For me, a neutral peer comment is enough for saying that we desagree with a certain answer, in case we have not a better one to propose.

2 Concerning translation contests:

I thin
... See more
Happy New Year to all Proz.com Staff!

I would like to make some suggestions, as follows:

1. concerning Kudoz: The desagree peer comment is useless and even more than that, a little hurtful and aggressive, knowing that I spent time and energy trying to help the others. For me, a neutral peer comment is enough for saying that we desagree with a certain answer, in case we have not a better one to propose.

2 Concerning translation contests:

I think that tagging segments is a good idea, but it will be more usefull if the tags would be visible only for me, the concerned person, and not for everybody, at least until the winners are determined. In this way, maybe even the vote would be encouraged.

I apologize for my bad English. I don't translate into it.
Collapse

prozetka
prozetka  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:00
German to Finnish
+ ...
Yes, the process is too long Jan 4, 2015

Martine Joulia wrote:

Eleven month to complete the whole process! I don't know if I am the only one, but I think it is exaggerate!

You're not the only one, I feel that way too...

A suggestion for a new tight schedule, plus a change in rules:

1st phase: the texts to be translated are published.

Translation phase: translation contributions are returned. This could last, say, 2 months to allow time for people with diverse work situations.

Commenting phase: Comments are given. Duration: two weeks. If no comments arrive in this time, then there will be no comments...

Voting phase: Votes are given. Duration: two weeks. If no votes arrive in this time there is no reason to compete in that language pair, if people, even the contributors of translations, are so disinterested. If only one vote is received, this one vote will settle the contest...

And a change in rules: the translation contributors are allowed to vote also for their own output. Of course, in this case each contributor will regard her own product to be the best, most witty, most brilliant, most competent of the lot and will thus vote for her own to be the number one. But so what? Other voters would still define and reveal the correct order and even if only the contributors vote, the votes for the second best, third best would settle the order.

The present system actually means that every voter who has also returned a translation will, when voting, give 4 points to the best, 2 points for the second best, 1 point for the third and 0 points for her own. Thus by giving a vote, the contributor can only weaken her own position in the contest.

CAPZ
CAPZ
Nicaragua
Local time: 19:00
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
Me parece una propuesta inteligente... :) Totalmente de acuerdo. Jan 7, 2015

prozetka wrote:

Martine Joulia wrote:

Eleven month to complete the whole process! I don't know if I am the only one, but I think it is exaggerate!

You're not the only one, I feel that way too...

A suggestion for a new tight schedule, plus a change in rules:

1st phase: the texts to be translated are published.

Translation phase: translation contributions are returned. This could last, say, 2 months to allow time for people with diverse work situations.

Commenting phase: Comments are given. Duration: two weeks. If no comments arrive in this time, then there will be no comments...

Voting phase: Votes are given. Duration: two weeks. If no votes arrive in this time there is no reason to compete in that language pair, if people, even the contributors of translations, are so disinterested. If only one vote is received, this one vote will settle the contest...

And a change in rules: the translation contributors are allowed to vote also for their own output. Of course, in this case each contributor will regard her own product to be the best, most witty, most brilliant, most competent of the lot and will thus vote for her own to be the number one. But so what? Other voters would still define and reveal the correct order and even if only the contributors vote, the votes for the second best, third best would settle the order.

The present system actually means that every voter who has also returned a translation will, when voting, give 4 points to the best, 2 points for the second best, 1 point for the third and 0 points for her own. Thus by giving a vote, the contributor can only weaken her own position in the contest.

Nur Cholis
Nur Cholis  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:00
Member (2013)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
English to Indonesian Translation Contest Jan 13, 2015

Congratulations to all the winner!

I would like to complain about the contest. I am one of the 3 finalist (out of 17) and UNTIL now the winner has not been decided yet. I have emailed the Proz staffs and they answered "The winner(s) in this pair will soon be announced, if enough votes have been received." But since the deadline has passed, nobody can vote anymore. The voting phase for EN-ID was extended until 31 Dec 2014 and until now there's no final decision. Have a great day ever
... See more
Congratulations to all the winner!

I would like to complain about the contest. I am one of the 3 finalist (out of 17) and UNTIL now the winner has not been decided yet. I have emailed the Proz staffs and they answered "The winner(s) in this pair will soon be announced, if enough votes have been received." But since the deadline has passed, nobody can vote anymore. The voting phase for EN-ID was extended until 31 Dec 2014 and until now there's no final decision. Have a great day everyone! Thank you.

Regards,

Cholis
Collapse

acetran
acetran  Identity Verified
English to Hindi
+ ...
Congratulations! Jan 17, 2015

Congratulations to all the winners!

Alessandra Meregaglia
Alessandra Meregaglia  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:00
Member (2012)
English to Italian
+ ...
Is the contest totally finished actually? Jan 21, 2015

Hi everyone,

is this contest actually finished for ALL language pairs or are we still waiting for mooving (I hope ASAP) on the final round?

Thank you

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:00
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Too many entries, insufficient feedback Jan 21, 2015

Alessandra Meregaglia wrote:

Hi everyone,

is this contest actually finished for ALL language pairs or are we still waiting for mooving (I hope ASAP) on the final round?

Thank you

I'm sure Proz never expected to have so many submissions in so many language pairs, and so little input for evaluating them.

While some pairs actually could move forward, others have received so little feedback, that it would be unfair to choose a "winner" on such scanty evidence. Proz staff members cannot judge the translations on their own, they need input from members.

Such things happen:
http://www.oddee.com/item_98568.aspx

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
At least let us vote for the submitted translations Jan 21, 2015

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I'm sure Proz never expected to have so many submissions in so many language pairs, and so little input for evaluating them.

While some pairs actually could move forward, others have received so little feedback, that it would be unfair to choose a "winner" on such scanty evidence. Proz staff members cannot judge the translations on their own, they need input from members.

That is understandable. However, in some language combinations (e.g. my own, English to Danish), the message since New Year has been:

"The deadline for rating entries in this language pair has passed. Competition in this pair will soon move into the finals round."

In other words, the small number of submitted translations (12, I think) have not received a lot of comments, but the number is so small that the ProZ staff doesn't even need to determine which ones should go to the finals round. All they have to do is let the English > Danish translators get on with the judging. I'm sure we can manage to look at such a limited number of translations to sumbit our votes. Except, of course, if all formerly interested parties have lost all interest in this (last) year's contest, even forgotten that it ever took place, let alone what it was about...

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:00
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It's a manual process Jan 21, 2015

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

In other words, the small number of submitted translations (12, I think) have not received a lot of comments, but the number is so small that the ProZ staff doesn't even need to determine which ones should go to the finals round. All they have to do is let the English > Danish translators get on with the judging. I'm sure we can manage to look at such a limited number of translations to sumbit our votes. Except, of course, if all formerly interested parties have lost all interest in this (last) year's contest, even forgotten that it ever took place, let alone what it was about...

My take is that there is no "algorithm" or equation that determines, within ANY language pair, say, from A entries, B people who entered C likes + D dislikes, how to strike out the "sloppy" ones, how many (= E) should be left for voting, etc. etc.

Proz staff has been left with the Mission:Impossible task of one person setting somewhat subjective rules on how to move on, based on almost random variables.

What would be the criterion? Sorting them by (Likes - Dislikes)?
How would the cutting point be determined?

Quite frankly, this isn't fair.
First, I've seen many questionable likes and dislikes. Some were harshly challenged by authors, others were left unharmed.
Second, I've seen the very same "word choice" being liked in one submission, disliked in another, and ignored in yet another; can't be sure if by the same person.
Third, it is visible that the evaluators' acumen, patience, tolerance, whatever, tends to sway as they progress through a large number of different entries.

I don't see any viable solution.

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:00
Russian to English
+ ...
Now it's the end of July Jan 22, 2015

The contest has not closed in a lot of language pairs. Now today it says it will be open until the end of July.

I can't believe it - a whole year for just one contest! It is getting beyond ridiculous.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
July will not be the end! Jan 23, 2015

Sarah McDowell wrote:

The contest has not closed in a lot of language pairs. Now today it says it will be open until the end of July.

I can't believe it - a whole year for just one contest! It is getting beyond ridiculous.

Mind you, at least in one of my language pairs, it's the qualification round that is supposed to end in July, after which the contest is planned to enter the final round (which again will most probably not be finished within a reasonable amount of time, if at all).

Apart from that: How many voters are going to trickle in until July, now that so much time has already passed? Not many, I reckon. Earlier in this thread, someone else has hit the nail on the head: Don't nobody care no more.

I think it is time to call the whole thing off now - it's probably not getting any better.

Martine Joulia
Martine Joulia  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Is anyone on the line? Jan 23, 2015

It would be nice to get an answer... or at least a comment... Don't you think Jared ?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation contest: "Celebrations", congratulations to the first round of winners!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »