Thread poster: Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:47
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Sep 6, 2013

Shouldn't these have been filtered out a long time ago (in 2009, if I remember well)? That is really annoying! A whole page of visitors and some more entries on my profile are just only search robots!

See also this thread:

<
... See more
Shouldn't these have been filtered out a long time ago (in 2009, if I remember well)? That is really annoying! A whole page of visitors and some more entries on my profile are just only search robots!

See also this thread:

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/143984-the_visitors_tab_of_your_profile_and_search_engine_robots.html

(nothing has changed since then!)

[Bearbeitet am 2013-09-07 10:51 GMT]
Collapse

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:47
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Same here Sep 7, 2013

It happened a couple of times in the last week or so. I was quite surprised by it.

I am also surprised that nobody from the staff hasn't replied to your post yet...

Ciao Christel! Un abbraccio

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 18:47
Chinese to English
+ ...
A simple solution Sep 8, 2013

If you can hide individual visitors, I don't know why you shouldn't be allowed to hide an IP range. Simply hiding the addresses 66.249.xxx.xxx would make it much cleaner.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:47
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Not that simple Sep 9, 2013

Lincoln Hui wrote:

If you can hide individual visitors, I don't know why you shouldn't be allowed to hide an IP range. Simply hiding the addresses 66.249.xxx.xxx would make it much cleaner.

Hiding a certain IP address starting with 66.249.xxx.xxx wouldn't do any good, since if the last digit differs from the one you hid, they will show up when a crawler visits your profile. You'll have to go over the same procedure 100,000 times in order not to see the IP address starting with 66.249.xxx.xxx, or 100,000,000 times to hide the last 9 digits from a 66 IP.

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Forum post moved Sep 9, 2013

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

I am also surprised that nobody from the staff hasn't replied to your post yet...

Ciao Christel! Un abbraccio

Ciao, texjax:-) Glad to see you!

I have tried at least another time, as far as I remember, to open a proz related technical discussion; also in that case, my post has been moved to another forum where it vanished in the Nirwana and I never got any reply, neither from other translators who obviously didn't even see it (and neither did I) nor from the staff.

It is not my intention to discuss in any way the mod's decision to move a post, but why move a subject that could potentially concern quite a lot of people to a forum that is subscribed and hence read only by a minority of proz users/members? The mod who I called assured me anyway that the staff would have a look into my post... I am still waiting.

I reopened some months ago a (very) old forum on this same subject, there has been some reaction from other people but none from the staff, once again.

@Yasutomo, thank you! This is exactly the problem! You cannot hide hundreds of crawlers by only one click! If this were the case, we would not even bother to discuss here for years and try to get a solution which only the staff can put in place.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 18:47
Chinese to English
+ ...
I said Sep 9, 2013

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Hiding a certain IP address starting with 66.249.xxx.xxx wouldn't do any good, since if the last digit differs from the one you hid, they will show up when a crawler visits your profile. You'll have to go over the same procedure 100,000 times in order not to see the IP address starting with 66.249.xxx.xxx, or 100,000,000 times to hide the last 9 digits from a 66 IP.

I clearly said an IP range. When people say 66.249.xxx.xxx it usually means all IP addresses starting with 66.249. What I am saying is that this should be something that can be easily implemented.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Not able to do so Sep 9, 2013

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

I clearly said an IP range. When people say 66.249.xxx.xxx it usually means all IP addresses starting with 66.249. What I am saying is that this should be something that can be easily implemented.

AFAIK, hiding an individual visitor is possible, but not an IP range, especially with one-click.
I guess that's why Christel re-started this topic.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
@Christel Sep 9, 2013

It's very annoying, and especially creepy, when you get a crawler's visit in one-minute increments from IP addresses starting with 66.249.xxx.xxxx with different last one or two digits.

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You would have thought that, yes... Sep 9, 2013

Lincoln Hui wrote:

What I am saying is that this should be something that can be easily implemented.

But the fact is that since several years the problem has not been solved.

Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
This issue has been prioritized Sep 10, 2013

Hello all,

Thanks for your feedback on this issue.

The suggestion to be able to mark a range of IP addresses as crawler visits, and to manually add a specific IP address as a crawler, has been prioritized. Development work to implement these improvements is scheduled to take place as soon as possible.

My apologies for the delay in resolving this.

Best regards,

Maria

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What should I say? Sep 10, 2013

I am speechless. This issue has existed for at least 4 years, and no solution has been ever found, although the problem was well known by the staff. So, if you "prioritize" it now, how many years will it still take to be solved?

Anyway, thank you for your attention, and thanks to everybody that has participated so far. And please pay attention to the crawlers' visits on your profile and rant if nothing changes soon!:-)

Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Improvements made to Visitors tab Sep 19, 2013

Hello all,

Some updates have been made to the Visitors tab feature. A summary of those improvements can be found here: http://www.proz.com/post/2199845#2199845

Thanks for your patience, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Maria

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Changes made to visitors tab are great! Sep 20, 2013

Thank you so much for making this happen. I especially like being able to filter out a whole subset of numbers.
I hope you publish the info on this on a banner or something so that people who had abandoned all hope and given up reading the thread will realize that this problem is now solved!

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What a relief! Sep 24, 2013

My visitors' tab looks quite different now!

I second the hope of Jessica - announce the new filter somewhere else!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Today I had 25 entries of crawlers again

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »