Thread poster: Gül Kaya
Gül Kaya
Gül Kaya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:05
Turkish to English
+ ...
Jun 6, 2013

The Skype button on my profile page is showing offline even though I'm online. When I click on it it says something like "you can't start a conversation with yourself or add yourself to your contacts" or something similar. There's probably something very basic that I'm doing wrong but I don't know what it is. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:05
English to Polish
+ ...
Not sure but Jun 6, 2013

I'm not sure if this is the cause of your problem, but Skype has changed its API, and now it is no longer the old rectangular button but rather a square blue icon, which comes with a large script.

Gül Kaya
United Kingdom
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
skype icon Jun 6, 2013

Thanks Łukasz, but it's the normal Skype icon like a sideways oval but it's showing as offline.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:05
German to English
+ ...
Just remove the old one and Jun 6, 2013

add a fresh one - see if that helps.

Gül Kaya
United Kingdom
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorted Jun 6, 2013

Found the answer on Proz FAQs. Stealing blatantly from Douglas Adams, you can just about find the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything there!

Agnes Lenkey
Agnes Lenkey  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Share solution please Jun 7, 2013

Hi Gül,

I have the same problem, went to the FAQs you mentioned but didn't find the solution. Could you please share how did you resolve this issue?

Thank you very much in advance,

Agnes

Gül Kaya
United Kingdom
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Check a box Jun 7, 2013

Agnes Lenkey wrote:

Hi Gül,

I have the same problem, went to the FAQs you mentioned but didn't find the solution. Could you please share how did you resolve this issue?

Agnes

Just go to Profiles Contact information How do I add Skype to my profile page?

You have to go to your Skype account - Tools - Options - Privacy - and check the "Allow my online status to be shown on the web" box.

Gül Kaya
United Kingdom
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Checka box in Skype account Jun 7, 2013

Agnes Lenkey wrote:

Hi Gül,

Agnes

Just go to Profiles Contact information How do I add Skype to my profile page?

You have to go to your Skype account - Tools - Options - Privacy - and check the "Allow my online status to be shown on the web" box.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Skype button

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »