Thread poster: Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 14:29
French to English
+ ...
Apr 9, 2013

Is it normal that one person can have two or more different profiles on Proz?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:29
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes and no Apr 9, 2013

Catharine Cellier-Smart wrote:
Is it normal that one person can have two or more different profiles on Proz?

According to site rule 7:

One profile is allowed per person. Creating a new profile to bypass restrictions or gain advantages is prohibited. (However, it is acceptable to have one profile for yourself and another profile for your registered business.)

Recently someone created a second profile so that he could post on the forum without leaving a trail in his main profile page. While I think that his desire is perfectly legitimate, my interpretation of the site rule is that it would be against site rules to do that.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:29
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
There is some sort of dual profile Apr 9, 2013

For example you can have a profile page and paid membership that represents yourself as well as your company. Your profile page will show an added statement such as "Subcontracts work for other language companies. Offers job opportunities for freelancers."

To have several different profiles under different user names is creepy and not very trustworthy - see Samuel's post. Why would you want to do that?

Catharine Cellier-Smart
Reunion
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I mean 2 personal profiles, not 1 personal + 1 business Apr 9, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:
To have several different profiles under different user names is creepy and not very trustworthy - see Samuel's post. Why would you want to do that?

@Nicole - personally I don't want to have two profiles, but I realised today that a Kudoz poster has two separate profiles, and while this doesn't seem normal to me, I couldn't find any reference on the site as to whether or not it was allowed.
I obviously didn't look hard enough - thanks to Samuel for the link to the site rule.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I see. Apr 9, 2013

Catharine Cellier-Smart wrote:

@Nicole - personally I don't want to have two profiles, but I realised today that a Kudoz poster has two separate profiles, and while this doesn't seem normal to me, I couldn't find any reference on the site as to whether or not it was allowed.
I obviously didn't look hard enough - thanks to Samuel for the link to the site rule.

I think you should report that to the ProZ.com staff.

Best regards,

Nicole

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The advantage of two profiles Apr 9, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:
To have several different profiles under different user names is creepy and not very trustworthy... Why would you want to do that?

Actually, I have more than one e-mail address, and that is not creepy.

I find it unfortunate if people don't use their real names on the forums or in KudoZ, because these are (as far as I'm concerned) places of personal interaction. But I would not have an objection if anyone had two or three profiles as long as they are honest about it. Having multiple profiles makes it possible to participate in different ways -- if you have only one profile, then your KudoZ questions and answers are linked to your forum posts, and you may not wish to have that. It might discourage you from asking stupid questions, because you know that you will be judged on the other platform if people see that you were asking stupid questions.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Not sure what several email adresses have to do with a profile page. Apr 9, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Most people maintain various addresses, one for business, one for personal contacts, plus maybe one "trash email" where semi-interesting advertising stuff such as software updates might be received. What does this have to do with a translator's profile?

I find it unfortunate if people don't use their real names on the forums or in KudoZ, because these are (as far as I'm concerned) places of personal interaction. But I would not have an objection if anyone had two or three profiles as long as they are honest about it. Having multiple profiles makes it possible to participate in different ways -- if you have only one profile, then your KudoZ questions and answers are linked to your forum posts, and you may not wish to have that. It might discourage you from asking stupid questions, because you know that you will be judged on the other platform if people see that you were asking stupid questions.

By coincidence I recently found out that a colleague who is renowned for his expressed USA-hatred had maintained a parallel profile under some phony user name. That parallel and anonymous profile had been banned, probably due to an overdose of hateful rants. The internet never forgets...

Catharine Cellier-Smart
Reunion
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One e-mail address per user account Apr 9, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

Most people maintain various addresses, one for business, one for personal contacts, plus maybe one "trash email" where semi-interesting advertising stuff such as software updates might be received. What does this have to do with a translator's profile?

I imagine that what Samuel means is that because all you need to create a Proz user account is an e-mail address, theoretically that makes it possible to have as many Kudoz accounts as you have e-mail addresses.

I presume creating or trying to create a second user account with the same e-mail address is not possible.

[Edited at 2013-04-09 09:47 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Nicole Apr 9, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

It has to do with it being creepy or not to have multiple identities that aren't connected to each other and with which the user can operate two separate cyber lives.

I would find it creepy if the same person used two profiles to post messages in the same thread in the forums in such a way that it appears like two separate people (it's called sockpuppetry), but if one person used two separate user names to separate his online exposure, I would not necessarily have a problem with it. For example, if he uses a name like AppleTrans when he posts in the forums but a name like ApricotTrans when he posts in KudoZ, to ensure that KudoZ users can't trace him to a forum post or vice versa, then I would not have any objection to that. What would be creepy is if he used a name like John Smith in the forums and then use a name like Mary Jane in the KudoZ posts -- now that would be creepy. When I see real-looking names in either KudoZ or the forums, I would like to think that these are the real names of these people.

By coincidence I recently found out that a colleague who is renowned for his expressed USA-hatred had maintained a parallel profile under some phony user name. That parallel and anonymous profile had been banned, probably due to an overdose of hateful rants.

Yes, and this borders on sockpuppetry, as far as I'm concerned. If you maintain two personalities (one pro-USA and one anti-USA) on the same forum, then you're not being real.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dual profiles

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »