Thread poster: Krystian Aparta
Krystian Aparta
Krystian Aparta  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:42
Polish to English
+ ...
Dec 12, 2012

Since I have a lot of text to put in the "About me" section, I would like to start with a list of links to subsections (e.g. Subtitling, Localization...). I can define the anchors fine (), but when I try to set up links to them, I get the following error message:

"Check possible broken links (missing <
... See more
Since I have a lot of text to put in the "About me" section, I would like to start with a list of links to subsections (e.g. Subtitling, Localization...). I can define the anchors fine (), but when I try to set up links to them, I get the following error message:

"Check possible broken links (missing http://, https://, ftp://) near the following texts: "

Can someone confirm that there is no way to add links to within the text itself?
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
ProZ.com profile: Creating a standout "About me" Dec 12, 2012

Hello Krystian,

You can define anchors in the "About me" section of your profile by using these standard HTML tags:

Code:

< a href ="#section_name">See section 1</a>

< a name ="section_name">Section 1</a>

Code:

< a href ="#section_name">See section 1</a>

< a name ="section_name">Section 1</a>

Just make sure you remove the spaces between < and a at the beginning of each formula.

Also, have in mind that the content in the "About me" section should be as short as possible. In general, clients won't have that much time available to go through a lot of information. So, it is recommended that you avoid adding information that already has a place somewhere else in your profile (credentials or past experience for instance).

Check this article on "ProZ.com profile: Creating a standout "About me"" for more tips:

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/3452/

And let me know if you need any help.

Lucia
Collapse

Krystian Aparta
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 13, 2012

Thanks for the quick reply! You're right, but I'll just start with the current longer version, and later try to streamline it with tabs etc. Thank you for the link to the article, too.

The reason I thought that the anchor links didn't work was that in the Preview, the page content didn't render beyond where I placed the anchor link (so the text stopped there), and I got the error message ("Check possible broken links (missing
... See more
Thanks for the quick reply! You're right, but I'll just start with the current longer version, and later try to streamline it with tabs etc. Thank you for the link to the article, too.

The reason I thought that the anchor links didn't work was that in the Preview, the page content didn't render beyond where I placed the anchor link (so the text stopped there), and I got the error message ("Check possible broken links (missing http://, https://, ftp://) near the following texts:"), which lead me to believe that the rest of the page would not be parsed and would not appear in my profile. I simply saved and even though it didn't display in the preview, the page rendered fine in the profile view, including the anchor links.
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Thank you for the details, Krystian Dec 13, 2012

I will ask developers to check the "Preview" function for the "About me" section then.

Happy translating!

Lucia

Krystian Aparta
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another point (preview vs profile) Dec 13, 2012

While you're at it, you may consider notifying them of another difference between what you see in the preview and what is then shown in your profile. Paragraph and line breaking tags (< p>< /p>/< br>) are interpreted correctly, but the system also adds a paragraph break where it "sees" a linefeed character in the text box in the profile updater.

So, this code:

< p>This is a line< /p>
< p>This is another line< /p>
< p>And yet anothe
... See more
While you're at it, you may consider notifying them of another difference between what you see in the preview and what is then shown in your profile. Paragraph and line breaking tags (< p>< /p>/< br>) are interpreted correctly, but the system also adds a paragraph break where it "sees" a linefeed character in the text box in the profile updater.

So, this code:

< p>This is a line< /p>
< p>This is another line< /p>
< p>And yet another line< /p>

...looks like this in the Preview:

This is a line
This is another line
And yet another line

...but looks like this in the About Me section after you've saved your changed in the Profile Updater:

This is a line

This is another line

And yet another line

I finally figured out that the parser interprets linefeed characters (line breaks) in the code as paragraph breaks, and wrote out all my code like this:

< p>This is a line< /p>< p>This is another line< /p>< p>And yet another line< /p>

After this change, it rendered correctly. I believe it's important to mention this somewhere in the tutorial, because otherwise, translators who are not shy of writing HTML may be surprised as to why this strange formatting is displayed, especially that these "extra" line breaks appear only in the About Me section in the saved profile, not in the Preview.

I can make this into another post, if necessary (it's off-topic, after all).
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
No need to make a different post, Krystian Dec 13, 2012

After all, this is a forum thread on improving the "About me" section of profiles in the "ProZ.com profile help" forum. So I'm sure many other site users will benefit from your comments.

I will add your notes on paragraph breaks to the site's internal record of possible future improvements. Thanks again!

Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to add anchor links to "About me"?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »