Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What would count as a monolingual English credential?
Thread poster: JaneD
Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:48
Hebrew to English
I can't remember what category they were under but.... May 18, 2012

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Ty Kendall wrote:

I've seen ESOL examination certificates verified as translation credentials, which they most definitely are not.

I think you may be mixing two areas of the profile. The one called "translation education" should clearly not be used for monolingual certificates of any kind. However, the "credentials" can be linguistic or translation. See the FAQ: http://www.proz.com/faq/2455#2455

Seeing as how a monolingual credential cannot logically be translation-oriented, surely an exam. showing the required linguistic proficiency to teach the language is valid. That's how I see it, anyway.

You've raised a good point, Jane. Perhaps credentials need to be automatic for monolingual "pairs" that match native language(s). I know it doesn't necessarily follow, but if we are professional translators as we claim to be, surely we should be assumed to be proficient in our native language(s), shouldn't we?

Sheila

I definitely do remember seeing this:

XX language to English (ESOL Examinations)

...regardless of the little box they chose to list it under this was a clear attempt to convince people that they were qualified to translate INTO English because they had passed a few ESOL examinations.

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:48
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Does a University Degree count as an English monolingual credential? Nov 27, 2012

I had the same problem last week when I wanted to apply for a job that required an English monolingual credential. I am a native speaker of English.

Does my University Degree count for English monolingual? I also have a Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (CTEFL). Would this count as a monolingual credential?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I have a CTEFL Nov 27, 2012

Sarah McDowell wrote:
Does my University Degree count for English monolingual? I also have a Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (CTEFL). Would this count as a monolingual credential?

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who doesn't have an extremely good command of the English language shouldn't be teaching it, and shouldn't have a teaching qualification. Therefore, that teaching qualification should pass as a credential. But that's just MY interpretation.

As for the degree, I'm not sure. If it was a degree in English, I would think that would definitely qualify, but "any old" degree - I don't have the experience to be able to say, except that I have edited theses for students studying in English but not native in English, who clearly don't have a very good standard of written English.

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 06:48
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the prompt Nov 27, 2012

I had forgotten about this question, but it still annoys me so I thought I'd try adding my credentials to English to see what happened - now my profile says that I have English credentials from my two universities. Which seems reasonable to me - if a BA and an MA don't require a decent level of English then I don't know what does.

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Use of English Nov 27, 2012

Way back when I did my A' levels everyone at my school was also required to do an exam called "Use of English". I still have the certificate for it, it's issued by the University of Cambridge which was the board for the rest of our A' levels. Since I'd done an English A' level it seemed somewhat redundant but was deemed to be of use to those who had done science only A' levels, proof that they could string a coherent sentence together and write propa. Not sure what the equivalent is nowadays.

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Local time: 06:48
Swedish to English
References Nov 27, 2012

Much better with references.
Satisfied clients are more to be trusted than "credentials".

When is a kiss not a kiss?
When it's elliptical.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What would count as a monolingual English credential?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »