How can I have a "monolingual" credential verified?
Thread poster: Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 04:32
Member (2011)
English to German
Jan 20, 2012

I have tried to get my German diploma for my education as a foreign language secretary at a commercial college in Hamburg, Germany verified for the language pairs English/German and German/English through ProZ, but only received the following message:

"Please report these credentials as monolingual unless you have documentation to provide otherwise."

I asked ProZ what "monolingual" means, but have only now discovered the following from them in the e-mail:

"
... See more
I have tried to get my German diploma for my education as a foreign language secretary at a commercial college in Hamburg, Germany verified for the language pairs English/German and German/English through ProZ, but only received the following message:

"Please report these credentials as monolingual unless you have documentation to provide otherwise."

I asked ProZ what "monolingual" means, but have only now discovered the following from them in the e-mail:

"Please do not reply to this email message, your reply will not be read. Thank you, ProZ.com Support Team"

Great. Nobody will read my question and I will therefore not receive an answer!

[Edited at 2012-01-20 04:40 GMT] (I changed "an" into "a")

[Edited at 2012-01-20 04:41 GMT]
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Support Request? Jan 20, 2012

Did you initially submit a support request about the credential verification? I believe that is the normal procedure.
See:
http://www.proz.com/faq/2461#2461

If you did, go back to that support request, and submit a Reply. If it is closed and you cannot submit a reply, submit a new one, and refer to the URL or the Support Ticket ID of the previous inquiry.

If you ha
... See more
Did you initially submit a support request about the credential verification? I believe that is the normal procedure.
See:
http://www.proz.com/faq/2461#2461

If you did, go back to that support request, and submit a Reply. If it is closed and you cannot submit a reply, submit a new one, and refer to the URL or the Support Ticket ID of the previous inquiry.

If you have not submitted a Support Request yet about this verification issue at all, then please do so, as that is the most effective way to communicate with staff.

Katalin

[Edited at 2012-01-20 05:38 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 10:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Possibly Jan 20, 2012

Marina Steinbach wrote:

I asked ProZ what "monolingual" means...

They probably just mean that is is a German qualification, issued in Germany and not "officially" recognised elsewhere, or by some putative multilingual authority.

Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:32
Greek to English
In memoriam
Proz standard Jan 20, 2012

I tried to get my credentials verified by submitting my certification in Greek from the Hellenic Ministry for Education. I too was told that it can only be accepted as verification of credentials in monolingual Greek, so I had to report monolingual Greek among my language pairs in order to use it!

I haven't seen any of my other certificates or diplomas for about a quarter of a century, and I can't be bothered getting replacements, so I guess people will just have to trust me when I
... See more
I tried to get my credentials verified by submitting my certification in Greek from the Hellenic Ministry for Education. I too was told that it can only be accepted as verification of credentials in monolingual Greek, so I had to report monolingual Greek among my language pairs in order to use it!

I haven't seen any of my other certificates or diplomas for about a quarter of a century, and I can't be bothered getting replacements, so I guess people will just have to trust me when I say that I can speak English.
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
How credentials are verified for language pairs Mar 5, 2012

Hello all,

Please note that for a credential to be verified for a language pair, the original certificate must clearly state that a course has been taken in translation for that language pair, or else, it must be clear that the issuing institution provides translation education.

If your credential --or the academic transcript associated with it-- does not mention any translation training in English>German and German>English, but it only mentions English and German as tw
... See more
Hello all,

Please note that for a credential to be verified for a language pair, the original certificate must clearly state that a course has been taken in translation for that language pair, or else, it must be clear that the issuing institution provides translation education.

If your credential --or the academic transcript associated with it-- does not mention any translation training in English>German and German>English, but it only mentions English and German as two different subjects taken, or even only one of them, then the credential will be verified for that language only (monolingual).

Hope this clarifies.

Lucia
Collapse

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for getting involved in this matter anyway, Lucia. Mar 6, 2012

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hello Lucia,

The institution that issued my credential provides translation education and still exists in Hamburg, Germany. You can find the SFS College here: http://www.sfs-hamburg.de/

I have written to SFS for proof that I was trained in translation and asked for a course description sheet or syllabi. They have answered that a syllabus no longer exists from those years when I studied to become a foreign language secretary, but that a teacher, who still works at their college has confirmed that translation was part of my education, however not enough to be acknowledged as a ‘state certified translator’.

Therefore, they advised me to contact the American Translators Association for a professional certification. That’s what I am thinking about doing now. This would mean at least USD 600.00 for the two language pairs English/German and German/English.

So I’m thinking: Why not invest those USD 600.00 into an education where I can get at least an associate degree instead of only a stamp like the one from ATA.

And so I go on thinking: Oh my, I’m 48 years old now and have over 20 years of working experience, and the sun is shining, the beach is so enjoyable, do I really want to start studying again?

Thanks for getting involved in this matter anyway, Lucia. I think that I will just live with the fact that my credentials will not be verified by ProZ.

Have a nice day,

Marina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I have a "monolingual" credential verified?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »