Joining segments when other segments are between segments that should not have been split
Thread poster: Michael Albers
Michael Albers
Michael Albers
Portugal
Local time: 05:30
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 22, 2018

Hi,

I'm new to OmegaT and also haven't looked at regular expressions for a couple of years.

I am working on a document (bank statement) that has the Dutch word 'rentedatum' written out on two lines. But on the first line, there are other segments also.

Is there a way to make sure that 'rente' and 'datum' are not split?

Example:
Rente Type description
datum

So, Rentedatum should be seen as one segment.

T
... See more
Hi,

I'm new to OmegaT and also haven't looked at regular expressions for a couple of years.

I am working on a document (bank statement) that has the Dutch word 'rentedatum' written out on two lines. But on the first line, there are other segments also.

Is there a way to make sure that 'rente' and 'datum' are not split?

Example:
Rente Type description
datum

So, Rentedatum should be seen as one segment.

Thanks.

Michael
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Michael Nov 22, 2018

Michael Albers wrote:
Rente <tab> Type <tab> description <linebreak>
datum <linebreak>

So, "Rentedatum" should be seen as one segment.

I know of no CAT tool that would be able to do that, no.

What you can try to do is to fix the source file so that the tabular information is presented in an actual table instead of just a bunch of floating tabs. Although, even then, if there is a line break between "rente" and "datum", OmegaT won't be able to merge them into a single segment.

[Edited at 2018-11-22 19:34 GMT]

Michael Albers
Michael Albers
Portugal
Local time: 05:30
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Nov 22, 2018

Thank you for your response.

I was afraid of that. I will look into fixing the source file. I've got a lot to learn about segmentation anyway.
But, I guess I better first deliver the translations to my client.

Regards,
Michael

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Joining segments when other segments are between segments that should not have been split

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »