How to change punctuation in a heading style in Word?
Thread poster: cranium
cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
Apr 17, 2018

My French source document has a heading style, "Note 1 :". Can someone please help me figure out how to change the punctuation within the style? I would like to get rid of the space between the number and the colon. Thanks so much.

This is the info in the style box (found nothing in "Format" either): Police :12 pt, Couleur de police : Bleu foncé, Retrait : Gauche : 1,25 cm Suspendu : 1,52 cm, Niveau 4, Hiérarchisation + Niveau : 4 + Style de numérotation : 1, 2, 3, … + Comme
... See more
My French source document has a heading style, "Note 1 :". Can someone please help me figure out how to change the punctuation within the style? I would like to get rid of the space between the number and the colon. Thanks so much.

This is the info in the style box (found nothing in "Format" either): Police :12 pt, Couleur de police : Bleu foncé, Retrait : Gauche : 1,25 cm Suspendu : 1,52 cm, Niveau 4, Hiérarchisation + Niveau : 4 + Style de numérotation : 1, 2, 3, … + Commencer à : 1 + Alignement : Gauche + Alignement : 1,25 cm + Retrait : 2,78 cm, Style : Lié, Masquer jusqu'à utilisation, Afficher dans la galerie Styles, Priorité : 10

Sur base de : Titre 3
Style suivant : Normal

I also tried right clicking on the style, but I could only find a way to change the numbering, not the punctuation. Thank you!
Collapse

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:12
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Language Apr 17, 2018

Try changing the language from French to English. This should work!
Kind regards,
Irene

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't work Apr 17, 2018

ibz wrote:

Try changing the language from French to English. This should work!
Kind regards,
Irene

Thanks. The language has already been changed to UK English - the space-colon punctuation remains. Search and replace didn't work, either.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Just wondering ... Apr 17, 2018

Why is the info in the style box in French? If you mark the whole text and change the language to English: What happens then?

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is a rereading job Apr 17, 2018

ibz wrote:

Why is the info in the style box in French? If you mark the whole text and change the language to English: What happens then?

The translator must have typed the translation directly in the source text, and then changed the language. The document is set to English throughout but that has had no effect on this heading style.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
WHERE has the language been changed? Apr 17, 2018

If you simply selected "All" and changed the language of the DOCUMENT, it won't necessarily change the language in any styles where the language attribute had originally been specifically set; so you'll need to go in and change the language setting by modifying that specific style — and any others that may be presenting you the same problem.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Edit the header Apr 17, 2018

If I understand that you want to ged rid of the space, I don't understand why you do not just edit the header by doubleclicking on it?

Or I'm missing something?

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Heading style, not header Apr 18, 2018

Adrien Esparron wrote:

If I understand that you want to ged rid of the space, I don't understand why you do not just edit the header by doubleclicking on it?

Or I'm missing something?

Styles are preset types of formatting. They are in the "Styles gallery", the fourth box from the left at the top of the Word document. You apply different styles to headings to generate a table of contents. I am not talking about a header.

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Throughout the document Apr 18, 2018

Tony M wrote:

If you simply selected "All" and changed the language of the DOCUMENT, it won't necessarily change the language in any styles where the language attribute had originally been specifically set

Exactly.

so you'll need to go in and change the language setting by modifying that specific style — and any others that may be presenting you the same problem.

Yes, Tony, hence my question! How do I modify the punctuation? In my case, the heading is "Note 1 :", and the style appears in the style gallery as "Note 1 :". PS I just double-checked, and English is also applied to the styles ("Language" in the drop-down menu at the bottom of the "Modify style" box.)

Double-clicking and right-clicking on the heading didn't work, and in the "Edit" tab of "Manage styles", if I click on "Modify style" it shows the style description I pasted into my first post.

I'm going to see whether my problem has something to do with the numbering, not the style.

[Edited at 2018-04-18 06:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-04-18 06:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-04-18 06:12 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Check 'Titre 3' style Apr 18, 2018

As it stands, the attributes you quote for your heading style do not include any language parameter; but it says it is based on 'Titre 3'; so you may need to check the language parameter for the 'Titre 3' style

I've had a lot of language issues like this — for example, I use "smart quotes", and my default text entry language is FR; but when I am translating, and hence entering text in EN, typing quotes normally is fine, but if I try to use 'search & replace all' ro replace existin
... See more
As it stands, the attributes you quote for your heading style do not include any language parameter; but it says it is based on 'Titre 3'; so you may need to check the language parameter for the 'Titre 3' style

I've had a lot of language issues like this — for example, I use "smart quotes", and my default text entry language is FR; but when I am translating, and hence entering text in EN, typing quotes normally is fine, but if I try to use 'search & replace all' ro replace existing quotes in the document with smart ones, it stubbornly insists on replacing EN smart quotes with FR ones — despite the fact that there is no longer anywhere a FR language attribute set in the document! Go figure... It's a pain, as it means I then have to laboriously search and replace them all manually using the respective AltNum codes
Collapse

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Edit the heading and create a new style based on? Apr 18, 2018

cranium wrote:

Styles are preset types of formatting. They are in the "Styles gallery", the fourth box from the left at the top of the Word document. You apply different styles to headings to generate a table of contents. I am not talking about a header.

So, edit the heading, select it and right click to open the context menu. Select Créer un style based on the original one. Apply it to this document:

Styles

You can then replace the old one with the new one for this document. The TOC will not be damaged.

I’m not sure its a language question.

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will try that Apr 18, 2018

Thanks Will update if I find something that works.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Should be straightforward via the style menus Apr 18, 2018

cranium wrote:

Double-clicking and right-clicking on the heading didn't work, and in the "Edit" tab of "Manage styles", if I click on "Modify style" it shows the style description I pasted into my first post.

I've got no English Word, sorry. In my German Word 2016 you should click - in the window where the above mentioned style descriptions are shown - the button in the lowermost left corner ("Format"?). Then choose "numbering?". Then choose the relevant style picture and click the "Define new number format?" button near the bottom of the window. Then you can delete the space in the box that looks like "1. ".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change punctuation in a heading style in Word?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »