Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:59
German to English
Personally, I'm impressed. Oct 17, 2020

The only reason I wrote my caps-and-exclamation-mark post was to try to get Tom riled up about the God in my reply's title after watching him get riled up again about people saying pleasant but meaningless things to each other.

And it didn't work. Tom defused my sarcastic outrage and tossed it back in my lap like he was James Bond. Not only that, Molly then poured all kinds of oil on the fire with an extremely saviory post - a post so right in general terms that even I could not get
... See more
The only reason I wrote my caps-and-exclamation-mark post was to try to get Tom riled up about the God in my reply's title after watching him get riled up again about people saying pleasant but meaningless things to each other.

And it didn't work. Tom defused my sarcastic outrage and tossed it back in my lap like he was James Bond. Not only that, Molly then poured all kinds of oil on the fire with an extremely saviory post - a post so right in general terms that even I could not get worked up about the particulars of how she got there. And again, Tom did not reply and I saw the error of my ways.

It's like therapy, but it's free and it actually seems to be working. Thanks Tom. Thanks everyone.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I think I know what’s going on Oct 17, 2020

Thomas T. Frost almost wrote:
Tom-in-some-thin-ginger-nanny

I realise this could be read in two ways, but my money is on Tom having had an unfortunate encounter with a hungry goat.

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
And the winner is ... Oct 17, 2020

... actually, it's a dead heat. There was a very large number of votes for Exy, countered by the exact same very large number of votes against, so it looks like expressisverbis/Sandra has the casting vote. What will she do? ...

Meanwhile, reports are coming in of an unusual fracas yesterday outside a London pub. Police were called to the scene and a man was cautioned after causing an affray, arguing vociferously with the landlord about the pub grub menu outside. He was demanding tha
... See more
... actually, it's a dead heat. There was a very large number of votes for Exy, countered by the exact same very large number of votes against, so it looks like expressisverbis/Sandra has the casting vote. What will she do? ...

Meanwhile, reports are coming in of an unusual fracas yesterday outside a London pub. Police were called to the scene and a man was cautioned after causing an affray, arguing vociferously with the landlord about the pub grub menu outside. He was demanding that "Liver and onion's", "Sheppards pie" and "Stake and kidney puding" be rectified immediately, particularly since children could see these "unspeakable aberrations" as they walked past, and what was the country coming to. When the landlord refused, he then asked for a piece of chalk to do it himself. Again the landlord refused, whereupon the man asked him why he couldn't just leave him alone. He would not give his name to police, and would only confirm residence "in London".
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:59
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
That reminds me of a notice Oct 17, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Meanwhile, reports are coming in of an unusual fracas yesterday outside a London pub. Police were called to the scene and a man was cautioned after causing an affray, arguing vociferously with the landlord about the pub grub menu outside. He was demanding that "Liver and onion's", "Sheppards pie" and "Stake and kidney puding" be rectified immediately, particularly since children could see these "unspeakable aberrations" as they walked past, and what was the country coming to. When the landlord refused, he then asked for a piece of chalk to do it himself. Again the landlord refused, whereupon the man asked him why he couldn't just leave him alone. He would not give his name to police, and would only confirm residence "in London".

That reminds me of a notice seen attached to some railings in London: it read

BICYCLES LEFT ATTACHED TO THESE RAILINGS WILL BE "REMOVED"

I haven't had a chance, yet, to go down there and watch the fun of the simulated removal of the bicycles. There must be so many of them by now that the railings must be barely visible.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
MMm Oct 17, 2020

Michael Wetzel wrote:

....Molly then poured all kinds of oil on the fire with an extremely saviory post

Is that tasty (salty, not sweet) or does it have something to do with Jesus? Please clarify. And BTW there are various kinds of oil which, if poured on a fire, would put the fire out or, indeed, put out the fire. So you need to be more specific about your oils there, boyo.

[Edited at 2020-10-17 13:25 GMT]

Michael Wetzel

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
MollyRose Oct 17, 2020

You don't see MollyRose on the forums much, and much less so for the sake of frivolity, but when you do she always has something positive and instructive to say without the continuous judgment most of us unfortunately indulge in here - in jest or otherwise - so I'd bet 110% the oils are meant to put out a fire rather than stoke it up.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Michael Wetzel

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bikes Oct 17, 2020

Glad to see you're pitching in with the spirit of your thread, Tom. I'd love to have clocked the notice - that kind of thing gets me through the day.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Majestic Café, a friendly old couple, and me Oct 17, 2020

This morning, I took the train, and I went to my sweet hometown.
Few people were walking in the streets, but I still managed to see and meet some foreigners in one of the best-known streets of the city, Santa Catarina's street.
A couple was outside the “Majestic Café” and I was right next-door withdrawing money from an ATM.
The man, an old but genuinely nice gentleman, with a very rosy face and blue eyes full of joy, asked me:
- "Good morning! We must wait to enter,
... See more
This morning, I took the train, and I went to my sweet hometown.
Few people were walking in the streets, but I still managed to see and meet some foreigners in one of the best-known streets of the city, Santa Catarina's street.
A couple was outside the “Majestic Café” and I was right next-door withdrawing money from an ATM.
The man, an old but genuinely nice gentleman, with a very rosy face and blue eyes full of joy, asked me:
- "Good morning! We must wait to enter, don't we?"
I answered:
- "Good morning, Sir. Yes, you must wait, but it should not take long."
I finished my ATM operation and while this couple were waiting, they started talking to me. The conversation was… guess what: the pandemic! I learned this couple were British, and they were living here.
They said the first time they came, the beauty of this place fascinated them. It was love at first sight.
In the meantime, time had come for them to enter and this lovely couple ended this short conversation with the following:
- "It was a pleasure talking to you. We hope to meet you again, soon, but without Corona! No alcohol to rub our hands, and no masks to cover our feelings.
Have a nice day, Exy!"
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
Michael Wetzel

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Have a nice day Oct 17, 2020

It looks like it's Exy, then!

expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
He's back again .... Oct 17, 2020

... on the same level as usual. Thread could be closed, schönen Abend noch!

expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
And of course ... Oct 17, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

When the virus will go away, I vote for a meeting with all the members with toasts and beers (alcohol-free),

... with pea soup!

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Matthias Oct 17, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

When the virus will go away, I vote for a meeting with all the members with toasts and beers (alcohol-free),

... with pea soup!

I'm so sorry. Of course, pea soup will be included in the menu!

Matthias Brombach

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Thanks ... Oct 17, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

... with pea soup!

I'm so sorry. Of course, pea soup will be included in the menu!

... I will then call you only by that name you would like to hear (no public proz poll necessary).

expressisverbis

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Pea soup discontinued Oct 17, 2020

Erbswurst was discontinued in 2019, so it will be a bit of a challenge to try it.

http://www.mreinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9878
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erbswurst

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It is not completely retired Oct 17, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Erbswurst was discontinued in 2019, so it will be a bit of a challenge to try it.

http://www.mreinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9878
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erbswurst

"Erbswurst" is not retired yet. We even engraved the famous pea soup on Portuguese tiles!
http://garfadasonline.blogspot.com/2013/06/um-painel-de-azulejos-knorr.html
I will bring it!

Thomas T. Frost

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »