Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sitting on the beaches, looking at the peaches Apr 14, 2021

Well, it was a Stranglers song, but never mind ... looks rather cold to pay for, Matthias! But I know all about that. I bet the Germans drive their cars onto the beaches, too, like we did. That's my memories of Northern Ireland beaches, just like the North Sea beaches, but northerlier and colder, rows of cars with everyone picnicking from the eats in the boot. Even the ice cream van went onto the beach. Still, as my parents used to say, "Come on, son, dive in, don't just stand there dipping your... See more
Well, it was a Stranglers song, but never mind ... looks rather cold to pay for, Matthias! But I know all about that. I bet the Germans drive their cars onto the beaches, too, like we did. That's my memories of Northern Ireland beaches, just like the North Sea beaches, but northerlier and colder, rows of cars with everyone picnicking from the eats in the boot. Even the ice cream van went onto the beach. Still, as my parents used to say, "Come on, son, dive in, don't just stand there dipping your toes in it - remember, if it's cold outside the sea, it's much warmer in it, lad." Except it wasn't. It was bloody freezing in there too.

I've never paid for a dyke, though, and I don't intend to start now, but I found a few years ago that we pay to take cars on the beaches in NI now. They're smart, though. You don't know it until you drive down there, and I say down there because we used to go to the Downhill beach, which really was called Downhill because you go down a really steep hill to get there, but you can't back up because you're in a kind of an alley leading on to the beach, and you have a dozen cars behind you, and you can't go forward either, turn around the ticket hut and leave, because you have to enter and pay to do that, so you pay for a cold beach and a cold sea with overpriced ice cream, which is cold, too, of course, well, that's the point. I mean, why do you think I live here? Not that it doesn't rain in Bilbao. It just doesn't rain 365 days a year, and 366 in leap years.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
No cars! Verboten! Apr 14, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:I bet the Germans drive their cars onto the beaches, too, like we did.

... and of course you have to wear your mask there this summer, even when you are the only guest. Needless to say, that Querdenker protestors are excempted from any rules and even don't have to pay or take their litter with them back home or into the bins, accompanied by occasional changing of motor oil when the tide is high enough.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
Querdenker and the amended (i.e stricter) Infektionsschutzgesetz Apr 14, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Mervyn Henderson wrote:I bet the Germans drive their cars onto the beaches, too, like we did.

... and of course you have to wear your mask there this summer, even when you are the only guest. Needless to say, that Querdenker protestors are excempted from any rules and even don't have to pay or take their litter with them back home or into the bins, accompanied by occasional changing of motor oil when the tide is high enough.

You really don't like the Querdenker, do you? When the police start breaking into your apartment because they think you've broken the corona rules, you might realise that we were right all along. By the way, what do you think about the amendments to the Infektionsschutzgesetz? They're an authoritarian's wet dream, aren't they?!

[Edited at 2021-04-14 14:05 GMT]

Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 15:17
English to Chinese
+ ...
An authoritarian's wet dream! How utterly horrible! Apr 15, 2021

I feel for you, Gerard. I really do. It appears that the West is indeed as unlivable as I've always been told since I was a kid! Gerard, please heed my advice. Go and live in my country.

[Edited at 2021-04-15 19:14 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
Please explain Apr 15, 2021

Zibow Retailleau wrote:

I feel for you, Gerard. I really do. It appears that the West is indeed as unlivable as I've always been told since I was a kid! Gerard, please heed my advice. Go and live in my country. We have a different kind of dream there.

Not sure I understand what you're saying. The fact is, Western countries are becoming more authoritarian since the advent of covid-19. Are you denying this reality?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
When they kick in your front door, how you gonna come ... Apr 15, 2021

... with your hands on your head, or on the trigger of a gun?

As The Clash sang ...

I think GB's going to come with the Querdenkers. Maybe in more ways than one.

[Edited at 2021-04-15 17:26 GMT]

Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
Querdenker Apr 15, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... with your hands on your head, or on the trigger of a gun?

As The Clash sang ...

I think GB's going to come with the Querdenkers. Maybe in more ways than one.

[Edited at 2021-04-15 17:26 GMT]

Do you know much about the Querdenker, Mervyn? Hard to see how you could, living as you do in Spain.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The Quer Fellow Apr 15, 2021

With apologies to Brendan Behan. Well, he's long dead, so apologies to his descendants ...

It's a scary picture you paint there, Gerard. Men, women and children creeping fearfully down the Strasse as the Neue und Bessere Gestapo goose-step about.

Maybe you and the Van Daan family should think about retreating into a concealed space at the back of the house and sit around there in the dark for the next two or three years, sharing boxes and boxes of pea sausage and tapio
... See more
With apologies to Brendan Behan. Well, he's long dead, so apologies to his descendants ...

It's a scary picture you paint there, Gerard. Men, women and children creeping fearfully down the Strasse as the Neue und Bessere Gestapo goose-step about.

Maybe you and the Van Daan family should think about retreating into a concealed space at the back of the house and sit around there in the dark for the next two or three years, sharing boxes and boxes of pea sausage and tapioca, not daring to speak until it's safe to come out.

They'll never find you, don't worry. And you could write a little diary to while away the time. Put down all those thoughts of yours on paper. You could sell it afterwards, too. A nice little earner, right? "Man in a Cupboard", you could call it. But Achtung! - there might not be anyone to publish it when you finally come out. No, because everybody'll be dead, because the Querdenkers told them Don't worry, be happy.
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
Blindness and cowardice Apr 15, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Maybe you and the Van Daan family should think about retreating into a concealed space at the back of the house and sit around there in the dark for the next two or three years, sharing boxes and boxes of pea sausage and tapioca, not daring to speak until it's safe to come out.

They'll never find you, don't worry. And you could write a little diary to while away the time. Put down all those thoughts of yours on paper. You could sell it afterwards, too. A nice little earner, right? "Man in a Cupboard", you could call it. But Achtung! - there might not be anyone to publish it when you finally come out. No, because everybody'll be dead, because the Querdenkers told them Don't worry, be happy.

That's it, keep your eyes closed as the world is becoming ever more authoritarian and our freedoms are being taken away from us. But of course it's always easier to go with the flow and do what you're told by those in authority, isn't it?

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I like Querdenker! Apr 15, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:
You really don't like the Querdenker, do you?

In view of the fact that I cannot be the only German who reads (but also participates) in this thread, but none of the other Germans openly dares to contradict you here in the public (because of career reasons or because they are afraid of being put by you on your list for later purposes), I hereby openly declare that I am the only Querdenker in this thread, and you, "Gerard", belong to the usual often sun glassed trolls who normally shouldn't worth of an answer at all. A Querdenker who bears a fake name because he's afraid of the consequences to utter those queer thoughts (like "the German police will start breaking into my apartment because they just think I've broken the corona rules") isn't a true Querdenker or even a "resistance fighter", but just a greasy reactionist who is frustrated about the little life he has to lead as a bored in-house translator. I did only answer you so fiercely in the past because you put a bad reputation on my country that it does not deserve. I had so many fights and trouble in the past years because I resisted a lot of sick and evil "common sense" in so many parts of this society, that I just can't believe that even among translators these attitudes exist, among people, who should have some analytic thinking skills. You don' think lateral, you are only an opportunist, who finally has found some friends, some false friends. That's all about you.

Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
@Matthias Apr 16, 2021

I'm not a Landsfrau of yours but, nevertheless, I'm proud to be your colleague.

You're a credit to your Country, and a great Country it is too. It's not easy to lose two wars, and then going on to win the peace, and that's only thanks to people like you, people with a big heart, a bright brain, a clear conscience.

Matthias Brombach
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
More Querdenken Apr 16, 2021

Whereas I hate the Germans. Who cares whether the trains are on time?

And I especially hate Thomas Mann. And the grammar. And the sausages and the beer.

And those stupid ****ing ümläüts.

Maybe I should get a job there?

Zibow Retailleau
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Gerard Barry
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Thank you ... Apr 16, 2021

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

I'm not a Landsfrau of yours but, nevertheless, I'm proud to be your colleague.

You're a credit to your Country, and a great Country it is too. It's not easy to lose two wars, and then going on to win the peace, and that's only thanks to people like you, people with a big heart, a bright brain, a clear conscience.

... for your kind words, much appreciated. I often read between the lines what still comes into the mind of people from abroad, when they think of Germany, as if this country (or any country) is a constant fact that never changes in its features and attitudes. You mentioned the wars (which I didn' fight or caused, by the way), others would think of the wall, and I just live here and try to have a different approach to all aspects of German life and history. Generally I am totally satisfied of living in a liberal-minded country that allows so much freedom, even freedom for ultra left or ultra right opinions. Sometimes I love to play with the stereotypes about Germany by myself, but often I feel annoyed by the attitudes of people who should know it better, but deliberately spread fake news and old-fashioned hostile attitudes that are not or no longer true. People like our Querdenker and his comrades are trying to turn the clock back to something we can see in the political situations of Hungary, Poland or Turkey today. That's what all these new ultra right powers here in Germany are aiming for, too. To use the name "Querdenker" is a clever linguistic trick, which will finally fail.

Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Christel Zipfel
Robert Rietvelt

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Perhaps in Bavaria ... Apr 16, 2021

Chris S wrote:

Whereas I hate the Germans. Who cares whether the trains are on time?

And I especially hate Thomas Mann. And the grammar. And the sausages and the beer.

And those stupid ****ing ümläüts.

Maybe I should get a job there?

.. as an inhouse-translator, surrounded by incompetent and bored colleagues? In the evenings you can then test your new Nazi uniform on your balcony you ordered from Amazon and then look like Marilyn Manson.

Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I like Chinese, really! Apr 16, 2021

Zibow Retailleau wrote:

I feel for you, Gerard. I really do. It appears that the West is indeed as unlivable as I've always been told since I was a kid! Gerard, please heed my advice. Go and live in my country.

The Chinese will survive us all without any doubt! Why have all the trouble with marching with the Querdenkers perhaps for years anyway, when your dream has already come true in one single big country:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DqvweTYTI0

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »