Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:37
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Поехали! Apr 12, 2021

Some of you may already know how much I love Russia and all things Russian (well, most of them).

Today is the 60th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's spaceflight. I'd like to remember him with this short footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGMvpP2gGy8

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder
Liviu-Lee Roth
Matthias Brombach

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Go, Yuri, go Apr 12, 2021

Blasting off into history, myth and legend. Sad to do all that, and then get killed only a few years later in what you'd think would be a more manageable and safer kind of aircraft.

[Edited at 2021-04-12 18:04 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Brave lad Apr 12, 2021

I used to have a 1969 Lancia Fulvia Coupe. Lovely little car to look at. But basically something I could have made myself out of Meccano, and it broke down constantly.

So it's always struck me as highly implausible that we were able to put someone on the Moon the very same year said car was built.

So was Mr Gagarin's flight also faked?

Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Lateral thinking? Apr 12, 2021

Chris S wrote:

I used to have a 1969 Lancia Fulvia Coupe. Lovely little car to look at. But basically something I could have made myself out of Meccano, and it broke down constantly.

So it's always struck me as highly implausible that we were able to put someone on the Moon the very same year said car was built.

So was Mr Gagarin's flight also faked?

Don't get sucked in, Chris!

Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Bus ride to space Apr 13, 2021

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

Some of you may already know how much I love Russia and all things Russian (well, most of them).

Today is the 60th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's spaceflight. I'd like to remember him with this short footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGMvpP2gGy8

Thank you, Persio, and I really was impressed by the video, how comfortable they made it for Yuri to fly (as can be seen in 0:18). Although the seats are not cushioned, but that was the common Soviet-style in those times, wasn't it?

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Cushy job Apr 13, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Thank you, Persio, and I really was impressed by the video, how comfortable they made it for Yuri to fly (as can be seen in 0:18). Although the seats are not cushioned, but that was the common Soviet-style in those times, wasn't it?

Funny that you mentioned the cushion, Matthias. This one's from Wikipedia:

In 1955, Gagarin was accepted to the First Chkalovsky Higher Air Force Pilots School in Orenburg. He initially began training on the Yak-18 already familiar to him and later graduated to training on the MiG-15 in February 1956. Gagarin twice struggled to land the two-seater trainer aircraft, and risked dismissal from pilot training. However, the commander of the regiment decided to give him another chance at landing. Gagarin's flight instructor gave him a cushion to sit on, which improved his view from the cockpit, and he landed successfully. Having completed his evaluation in a trainer aircraft, Gagarin began flying solo in 1957.

I have to say that I'm rather jealous of the young officer frenching Yuri at 0:40.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I'm not ... Apr 13, 2021

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

I have to say that I'm rather jealous of the young officer frenching Yuri at 0:40.

... because it is a mouth-to-mouth respiration only because they forgot to equip his bus with oxygen supply devices you need when in space.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
More Querdenken Apr 13, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Which totally proves my point. They hadn't even dreamt of something as advanced as the Lada Riva at that time.

I wish I could still get the real truth, RIP Sunday Sport: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Sport

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Yes, and unfortunately you were quicker ... Apr 13, 2021

Chris S wrote: Which totally proves my point. They hadn't even dreamt of something as advanced as the Lada Riva at that time.

I wish I could still get the real truth, RIP Sunday Sport: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Sport

... than our standard Querdenker, for whom we laid the bait here.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
"I have to say that I'm rather jealous of the young officer frenching Yuri at 0:40" Apr 13, 2021

I love this one, PLF!

I was going to say that this must be the first time I've ever heard "French" used as a verb. I then realised there was another verbal possibility, but I simply can't elaborate here.

P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Mervyn Apr 13, 2021

When did you ever worry about things like that?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 21:37
English to Chinese
+ ...
French as a verb Apr 13, 2021

I once read a recipe which said 'If the beans are large French them.' I was wondering if that was a fetish but further research told me that it meant to cut them diagonally.

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Andy Watkinson

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Chris @Zibow Apr 13, 2021

You're absolutely right there, Chris. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible, probably in WestEnders 3.

Sounds like rather daring advice to me, Zibow, except it would appear to be a bit of a mouthful.

See, Chris? I'm getting back on track already ...

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
You'd be surprised Apr 13, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I was going to say that this must be the first time I've ever heard "French" used as a verb. I then realised there was another verbal possibility, but I simply can't elaborate here.

It's quite common, that why I use it whenever the occasion arises. What is the other one? Smooching? Tonguing? Darting passionately?

Zibow Retailleau

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
AFAIK ... Apr 13, 2021

... it's "French kissing". Some of the older boys at school told me about it. One of them even said he'd give me a demonstration, but I ran away and hid.

Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »