Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Being accused of using MT for delivering 5k+ words in less than 24 hours - is it too fast?
Thread poster: Frank Feng
John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:13
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
5,000 words a day Sep 14, 2017

Absolutely it's possible for a professional translator to translate 5,000 words a day. Of course, very few people could keep it up for more than a day or two without frying their brain. But for short bursts it's certainly possible. The important thing is to maintain quality standards, use spell check and carefully proofread.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:13
French to English
Agree Sep 15, 2017

John Fossey wrote:

Absolutely it's possible for a professional translator to translate 5,000 words a day. Of course, very few people could keep it up for more than a day or two without frying their brain. But for short bursts it's certainly possible. The important thing is to maintain quality standards, use spell check and carefully proofread.

Yes, I agree entirely, with the possibility but also over a limited time span only if quality is to be maintained.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Complaints? Sep 15, 2017

Did your customer have any complaints about the translation's quality such as typos, wrong word choice, style, etc.?

If not, then he should be happy to have found such a fast and accurate translator.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Some customers even insist on such speed Sep 16, 2017

Some customers set deadlines that mean really fast working over night. At the beginning of my career I was asked to translate 25 pages of text into my native, in 24 hours. I did it and delivered one hour in advance. but the next day I was too tired to do anything.
Nowadays I give such offers only a glance and delete the post at once.
Don't we all use MT these days? What's the problem?

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not everybody is equally talented Sep 16, 2017

There are people who can solve Rubik's cube well under 10 seconds.

There are people who can play piano well over 10 strokes per second.

And then there are people who can impeccably translate 5k words, or even more, or even MUCH more, in a normal working day.

Those who find it weird should just get over it and move on.

[Edited at 2017-09-16 20:25 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
of course it's possible Sep 16, 2017

When I worked as a PM, one of my best translators would typically do 5,000 words a day. He did complicated technical, legal and financial stuff and proofreading his work was a total breeze.
He even had time to do pro bono stuff with the local translator's association

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:13
Chinese to English
Give a little sample Sep 18, 2017

You could always give a little sample - say run one title through Google Translate, and show it next to your translation. Even though they can't read it, they'll be able to see that it's different. Throw in a couple of words explaining why your translation is different (Google got this term wrong, it should be XX; Google used this sentence order, but this is more natural for Chinese slides; etc.) so that they can see you know what you're talking about.
All of which is a bit absurd, of cour
... See more
You could always give a little sample - say run one title through Google Translate, and show it next to your translation. Even though they can't read it, they'll be able to see that it's different. Throw in a couple of words explaining why your translation is different (Google got this term wrong, it should be XX; Google used this sentence order, but this is more natural for Chinese slides; etc.) so that they can see you know what you're talking about.
All of which is a bit absurd, of course, but still, it's nice to see an agency standing up for real human quality. While it's a hassle, it seems like one of those little annoyances we can live with.
Collapse

Alexandra Bourne
Alexandra Bourne  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
From the "client's perspective", I can see why they say "it's too fast" Sep 18, 2017

Hi,

I have worked on the side of the "client" for most of my time in this business as project manager. Usually we use 2000 words to 2500 words as the standard rate for translation for non technical content. Technical content is usually 1000 to 1500 words per day.
So based on this, I can see why they think you may have used MT.
Since you delivered so quickly, they may also have the impression that, even if you did not use MT, that you rushed through the project, and thus
... See more
Hi,

I have worked on the side of the "client" for most of my time in this business as project manager. Usually we use 2000 words to 2500 words as the standard rate for translation for non technical content. Technical content is usually 1000 to 1500 words per day.
So based on this, I can see why they think you may have used MT.
Since you delivered so quickly, they may also have the impression that, even if you did not use MT, that you rushed through the project, and thus the quality is "suspect".

Alexandra
Collapse

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
... Sep 20, 2017

Alexandra Bourne wrote:

Usually we use 2000 words to 2500 words as the standard rate for translation for non technical content. Technical content is usually 1000 to 1500 words per day.

So, if somebody was (hypothetically) able to translate 10k words of technical content in a day, e should pretend to take at least a week, or even a couple of weeks, to play it safe?

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Why not? Sep 20, 2017

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Alexandra Bourne wrote:

Usually we use 2000 words to 2500 words as the standard rate for translation for non technical content. Technical content is usually 1000 to 1500 words per day.

So, if somebody was (hypothetically) able to translate 10k words of technical content in a day, e should pretend to take at least a week, or even a couple of weeks, to play it safe?

Previously, you wrote there are exceptional individuals who are able to accomplish feats others cannot, which is precisely why those feats are not considered "the norm". In this specific case, what would be the harm in finishing a translation early and then delivering it by the deadline?

That would be the best and easiest way to avoid the issue the OP mentioned.

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Normalization Sep 20, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

(...) what would be the harm in finishing a translation early and then delivering it by the deadline?

The harm would be validating an attitude where:

fast = hurried = bad

slow = careful = good

And the harm would be restraining yourself because you seem "too good to be true", normalizing yourself just because nobody likes freaks, especially highly productive freaks who make everybody else look bad in comparison, as confirmed by Frank's client.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
No restraints Sep 20, 2017

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

(...) what would be the harm in finishing a translation early and then delivering it by the deadline?

The harm would be validating an attitude where:

fast = hurried = bad

slow = careful = good

And the harm would be restraining yourself because you seem "too good to be true", normalizing yourself just because nobody likes freaks, especially highly productive freaks who make everybody else look bad in comparison, as confirmed by Frank's client.

How exactly would you be "restraining yourself"? You have a 10k assignment with a 5 days deadline, you complete it in one day but deliver it on the 5th day. In the meanwhile, you can do another 40k. Who is restraining you from doing what?

As for your "too good to be true", that's inevitable. Your analogies were about someone "who can solve Rubik's cube well under 10 seconds", or "who can play piano well over 10 strokes per second". Well, in those instances their feats are self-evident. In translation, it is not (and even hiring a proofreader is no guarantee). The "average" translation speed is around 2.5k per day, so it's only natural that much higher speeds could raise an eyebrow or two, especially (if you've never worked with that client before and) in a market where MT scams abound. I'm not saying it is "right" or "wrong", just that it's understandable, even from a merely statistical point of view.

As you yourself wrote: "Those who find it weird should just get over it and move on"

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Being accused of using MT for delivering 5k+ words in less than 24 hours - is it too fast?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »