Unsupported file format when trying to upload mxliff files to my Memsource 1+ Freelance account
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 23:13
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 3, 2018

I tried to create a new job in my Freelance account and then upload the mxliff files I had downloaded from my customer's Memsource account but received this error message:

Unsupported file format

I don't understand; I mean, mxliff is the standard file format for Memsource, shouldn't it just be to add my mxliff files to a job I create in my own 1+ Freelance account? I have already created a Memsource TM (I have imported the customer's mxliff files into this my own Memsou
... See more
I tried to create a new job in my Freelance account and then upload the mxliff files I had downloaded from my customer's Memsource account but received this error message:

Unsupported file format

I don't understand; I mean, mxliff is the standard file format for Memsource, shouldn't it just be to add my mxliff files to a job I create in my own 1+ Freelance account? I have already created a Memsource TM (I have imported the customer's mxliff files into this my own Memsource TM).

And also, when I tried to connect to this my own TM in my 1+ Freelance account from my Memsource Desktop Editor it says "You are not authorized to access this job", even though this is my own account and I'm trying to connect from my own Memsource Desktop Editor. Do I have to give myself authorization somewhere in my 1+ Freelance account?

So there are two issues now:

1. How do I create a job in my own 1+ Freelance account, upload mxliff files to this job, and add my own Memsource TM that I created already in my 1+ Freelance account?

2. How do I connect to this my own TM in my 1+ Freelance account from my Memsource Desktop Editor so I don't get the error "You are not authorized to access this job"?
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:13
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I'm not sure what you mean by "uploading mxliff files to your job" Mar 3, 2018

When you're finished with a job in the desktop program Memsource Editor, you click: Document > Upload to Server, which uploads the stuff in the mxliff you are working on locally to the Memsource cloud. Do you mean that you are translating the mxliff file in a different CAT tool?

Michael

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The same mxliff files as the original from my customer; no other CAT tool used than Memsource Mar 3, 2018

I signed up for a free trial of 1+ Freelance account at Memsource, so what I first did was to pre-translate the mxliff files in my customer's Memsource Web Editor account, then downloaded these pre-translated files and opened in Memsource Desktop Editor. I also created a new TM in my 1+ Freelance account and imported these pre-translated mxliff files there to populate the TM. All worked well so far.

So now I have pre-translated files in Memsource Desktop Editor and a populated TM in
... See more
I signed up for a free trial of 1+ Freelance account at Memsource, so what I first did was to pre-translate the mxliff files in my customer's Memsource Web Editor account, then downloaded these pre-translated files and opened in Memsource Desktop Editor. I also created a new TM in my 1+ Freelance account and imported these pre-translated mxliff files there to populate the TM. All worked well so far.

So now I have pre-translated files in Memsource Desktop Editor and a populated TM in my 1+ Freelance account.

I know what you mean with uploading to the server once finished, I usually do this when I complete a job for my customer, after I've run a QA in Desktop Editor. Perhaps I need to upload the mxliff files to my own 1+ Freelance account first. But how since it says I'm not authorized to access the job when I try to connect/log in?
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perhaps I must be logged into my Freelance account when connecting from Memsource Desktop Mar 3, 2018

Maybe I must be logged into my Freelance account when connecting from Memsource Desktop for it to work.

[Edited at 2018-03-03 16:39 GMT]

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 06:13
Chinese to English
+ ...
Use the account provided by the customer Mar 4, 2018

You need to sign into your client's server using their account.

Vaclav Balacek
Vaclav Balacek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
MXLIFF Mar 6, 2018

Dear Fredrik,
We were in touch through Memsource support desk on Saturday.
Did my advice help?

To sum in up:
MXLIFF file is a bilingual file that you download from your job in Memsource, but it can only be uploaded back to the same project. MXLIFF is designed to be downloaded from your project and opened in the desktop Memsource Editor, if you do not wish to translate in the Web Editor.

Regarding your questions:

1. How do I create a job in
... See more
Dear Fredrik,
We were in touch through Memsource support desk on Saturday.
Did my advice help?

To sum in up:
MXLIFF file is a bilingual file that you download from your job in Memsource, but it can only be uploaded back to the same project. MXLIFF is designed to be downloaded from your project and opened in the desktop Memsource Editor, if you do not wish to translate in the Web Editor.

Regarding your questions:

1. How do I create a job in my own Freelance account, upload mxliff files to this job, and add my own Memsource TM that I created already in my Freelance account?

This is how to create a translation project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=587ba8o0GRI

2. How do I connect to this my own TM in my Freelance account from my Memsource Desktop Editor?

You do this in your project, which you access via cloud.memsource.com, not in the Editor.

In general, you should work in your client's account when working their assignments, whether as a linguist user, or from your own account, via the concept of project sharing.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Unsupported file format when trying to upload mxliff files to my Memsource 1+ Freelance account

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »