Importing PowerPoints with many images into MemoQ so that the images can be translated?
Thread poster: FreelanceBass
FreelanceBass
FreelanceBass
United States
Local time: 01:34
Japanese to English
Dec 15, 2018

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I was wondering if there is any method for importing PowerPoints which feature many images into MemoQ, so that they can be directly translated in said program.

Is there some sort of workaround for this (like TransPDF for PDFs), or do I have to translate this sort of document in PowerPoint? It obviously would be great to work in MemoQ, but the project consists almost entirely of images so I'm not sure if this is possible...
... See more
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I was wondering if there is any method for importing PowerPoints which feature many images into MemoQ, so that they can be directly translated in said program.

Is there some sort of workaround for this (like TransPDF for PDFs), or do I have to translate this sort of document in PowerPoint? It obviously would be great to work in MemoQ, but the project consists almost entirely of images so I'm not sure if this is possible...

Thanks in advance!

- FLB
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Save as Dec 16, 2018

Besides numerous on-line converters (mind the NDA), there's an option in PowerPoint to export (Save as...) a file as RTF, HTML, GIF, JPG, PDF and others--but double check the formatting and some possibly lost 'interactive' elements

Anthony Veretyuk
Anthony Veretyuk
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:34
English to Russian
+ ...
PowerPoint in MemoQ Dec 20, 2018

Hello.
If your PowerPoint document's images have added text (that can be edited), then you are able to import this document in MemoQ, translate it and export the result in the same form: PowerPoint document with images with added text.
But if the text on the images in your document is not editable then there is a problem. In order to translate it with MemoQ I use a simple trick: I draw a rectangular ontop the required text. I make its borders colorless and use the same colour as the
... See more
Hello.
If your PowerPoint document's images have added text (that can be edited), then you are able to import this document in MemoQ, translate it and export the result in the same form: PowerPoint document with images with added text.
But if the text on the images in your document is not editable then there is a problem. In order to translate it with MemoQ I use a simple trick: I draw a rectangular ontop the required text. I make its borders colorless and use the same colour as the background (if you cannot add it through the colour menu you always can cut a prt of background and use it as a pattern). Then you will have a picture with editable text that may be imported and translated in MemoQ.
I use another variation of this trick when it is not required to place the translation ontop the source text. I draw a small rectangular and put a number in it (if you have several segments to translate) and then type the source in the comments area. Then you can as usual import and translate it in MemoQ.
The question is: are you able to edit the text or not. If you are - then it is OK. If you aren't - then you have to change the text into editable one and then enjoy working in MemoQ.

Good luck.
Collapse

FreelanceBass
FreelanceBass
United States
Local time: 01:34
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
It's uneditable. Dec 21, 2018

Thanks for the help! The text is unfortunately uneditable, and the deadline is a bit tight so I don't think I have time to figure out how to employ CJIoHuKu's method. I would need some sort of tutorial to do this - I'm sure there is one somewhere out there but at the moment I need to be concentrating on active translation.

So unless there's a quicker fix for this, I'm assuming that I'm stuck doing things the old-fashioned way. I beg of you to correct me if I'm wrong, though<
... See more
Thanks for the help! The text is unfortunately uneditable, and the deadline is a bit tight so I don't think I have time to figure out how to employ CJIoHuKu's method. I would need some sort of tutorial to do this - I'm sure there is one somewhere out there but at the moment I need to be concentrating on active translation.

So unless there's a quicker fix for this, I'm assuming that I'm stuck doing things the old-fashioned way. I beg of you to correct me if I'm wrong, though
Collapse

VIP9N
VIP9N
Local time: 08:34
Russian to English
+ ...
No other way than OCR Dec 21, 2018

Hi FreelanceBass,

It does not matter which container your images use – PowerPoint or PDF, Word or a pure JPG/PNG/TIFF and so on. If it is a picture, it is a picture, and machine does not “know” whether it has a text or a nice landscape on it. For machine, they all are just the same - sets of pixels.

Therefore, there is no miracle or “any magic” methods other than to OCR these images (which in your case are placed in PPTX). And then to do a big deal of typ
... See more
Hi FreelanceBass,

It does not matter which container your images use – PowerPoint or PDF, Word or a pure JPG/PNG/TIFF and so on. If it is a picture, it is a picture, and machine does not “know” whether it has a text or a nice landscape on it. For machine, they all are just the same - sets of pixels.

Therefore, there is no miracle or “any magic” methods other than to OCR these images (which in your case are placed in PPTX). And then to do a big deal of typesetting work (prior and upon translation) in order that the final documents look and feel like the “originals”.

Me personally, I decline that kind work in general, because the clients, as a rule, do not even think of that problem. And if they do, and after they learn my price and time for creation of editable “imitations” of their original docs, they either “miraculously” find the editable originals, or simply cancel the order.

Good luck!
Collapse

FreelanceBass
Olaf Schutze (X)

Ankita Arora
Ankita Arora
India
Introducing a new tool to handle images Feb 13, 2019

Hi FreelanceBass,

For any such requirements, you may have in the future, Please check out https://www.imagetransate.com.
This tool is made to help translators to translate uneditable images easily, without having to put the effort of doing OCR and redesign manually.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing PowerPoints with many images into MemoQ so that the images can be translated?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »