Yuki Okada
Yuki Okada  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:19
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Nov 25, 2018

I have a large number of MS Word files in the .docx format. Only small portions of them are in red text color, and I need to translate only those red texts. Many of those red texts are identical across different files so it would be very efficient if I can translate only those red texts.

Is there any way that I can filter MS Word text by color and translate only red text?

It seems that you can do so if the original is i
... See more
I have a large number of MS Word files in the .docx format. Only small portions of them are in red text color, and I need to translate only those red texts. Many of those red texts are identical across different files so it would be very efficient if I can translate only those red texts.

Is there any way that I can filter MS Word text by color and translate only red text?

It seems that you can do so if the original is in Excel using Trados: https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/t/12311

I also have Trados so I am posting this to the Trados forum, too.

Thank you!

Yuki
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:19
Danish to English
+ ...
Hide text in Word Nov 25, 2018

You can prepare the Word file to import by changing all the formatting not to translate to Hidden. You can use the normal Find and Replace menu.

Don't enter anything in the 'Find what' and 'Replace with' fields.

Place the cursor in the 'Find what' field, then click on Format (you may need to click on More >> first) and choose the formatting to hide under Font, e.g. Automatic under Font colour.

Then place the cursor in the 'Replace with' field and click on
... See more
You can prepare the Word file to import by changing all the formatting not to translate to Hidden. You can use the normal Find and Replace menu.

Don't enter anything in the 'Find what' and 'Replace with' fields.

Place the cursor in the 'Find what' field, then click on Format (you may need to click on More >> first) and choose the formatting to hide under Font, e.g. Automatic under Font colour.

Then place the cursor in the 'Replace with' field and click on Format again to define the new format, i.e. Hidden under Font.

By default, MemoQ will not import hidden text into the translation grid.

After exporting the translation, you can select all and remove the Hidden attribute.

Edit: oops, this will be tedious if there are many files. Adam's master document suggestion may be a solution. In MemoQ, you can always create a view to edit them all in one tab.

[Edited at 2018-11-25 20:35 GMT]
Collapse

Ayumi Anraku

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:19
Member (2005)
French to English
A Master Document provides a possible solution Nov 25, 2018

MS Word has a facility for bring together several documents in a master document. This enables you to process several documents as one. You need to look at the help material to understand how to do this.

In this assembled format, you can for example search and replace "automatic" - coloured (black) text so as to make it hidden. I believe hidden text will not be processed in Studio.

Obviously, this needs testing, and it woud be wise to make a spare copy of each change to
... See more
MS Word has a facility for bring together several documents in a master document. This enables you to process several documents as one. You need to look at the help material to understand how to do this.

In this assembled format, you can for example search and replace "automatic" - coloured (black) text so as to make it hidden. I believe hidden text will not be processed in Studio.

Obviously, this needs testing, and it woud be wise to make a spare copy of each change to the document, to return to in case of accident. This particularly applies to the assembled master document with its constituent sub-documents.

I hope to have given you a worthwhile line of enquiry to follow.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren.
Collapse

Ayumi Anraku

Yuki Okada
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 26, 2018

Thank you both for your suggestions. Making non-red (i.e. black) texts hidden was also suggested in the Trados forum, and it should certainly work.

Thank you, Ian, for suggesting the master document. I did not know about it and I just checked it out. But I was worried about testing them out so I tried an easier (i.e. more familiar to me) way first.

I am now trying to do it only with Trados (I am more familiar with Trados than memoQ) without making black texts hidden in
... See more
Thank you both for your suggestions. Making non-red (i.e. black) texts hidden was also suggested in the Trados forum, and it should certainly work.

Thank you, Ian, for suggesting the master document. I did not know about it and I just checked it out. But I was worried about testing them out so I tried an easier (i.e. more familiar to me) way first.

I am now trying to do it only with Trados (I am more familiar with Trados than memoQ) without making black texts hidden in Word. I tried several files in Trados without processing them (hiding black texts) in Word. I copied all source to text, and manually went through the files to identify and translate red texts. It was not as bad as I thought, and I got the translated Word files as I wanted without too much time.

But, but, when I tried to process all 77 files together, Trados gave up. I was able to build a project, but Trados stopped working when it was trying to open them together.

This is where I am now. I will keep trying. Maybe I will work on them in smaller batches...

Yuki
Collapse

Mikhail Popov
Mikhail Popov
Montenegro
English to Russian
+ ...
Glue documents in memoQ Nov 26, 2018

You can import all 77 documents in memoQ and combine (glue) them altogether. Then if you confirm 1 segment that is repeated in all other documents - all of them will be confirmed. This saves a lot of time.
I did it with 30 documents at once. Maybe 77 will slow down the system, maybe not. You can try.

Yuki Okada
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Mikhail, Nov 26, 2018

You can do the same with Trados. It lagged behind memoQ but it became possible several years ago. But when I tried with these 77 files, I could not open (glue) them together. I opened 20 or so at once and it finally worked.

Maybe memoQ is better, but I am working with Trados now because Termbases came in Trados format, and I am more familiar with Trados.

Yuki

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On glueing in Trados Nov 26, 2018

Yuki Okada wrote:
Mikhail Popov wrote:
You can import all 77 documents in memoQ and combine (glue) them altogether.

You can do the same with Trados.

I'm not a MemoQ users but as far as I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong) "glueing" in Trados and MemoQ don't work in the same way (but perhaps this is not relevant to this situation).

In Trados, you can create a merged file at the start of project creation, which is saved as a single SDLXLIFF file, but you can't unmerge that file (you can, however, import that file into a TM and then re-pre-translate your SDLXLIFF files from it). In Trados, you can open multiple files at the same time, in a single "view", but you can't export the view as either a single SDLXLIFF file or a single bilingual DOCX file.

In MemoQ, you can open multiple files at the same time, in a single "view", *and* then you can export that view as a single MQXLIFF file, *and* you can import it again (thereby updating the changed segments). You can also create a custom view by filtering the text, and then export that view as a single MQXLIFF file, and import it again.

Is that right?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:19
Danish to English
+ ...
MemoQ view Nov 26, 2018

When you work in a MemoQ view, MemoQ automatically updates the corresponding individual files automatically. There is usually no need to export and import a combined view MQXLIFF file. I.e. when everything is translated and confirmed in a view, then everything is translated and confirmed in the corresponding individual files.

Mikhail Popov
Mikhail Popov
Montenegro
English to Russian
+ ...
For memoQ - yes Nov 27, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:
In MemoQ, you can open multiple files at the same time, in a single "view", *and* then you can export that view as a single MQXLIFF file, *and* you can import it again (thereby updating the changed segments). You can also create a custom view by filtering the text, and then export that view as a single MQXLIFF file, and import it again.

Is that right?

Yep, you are right. Basically memoQ keeps original files and views "in parallel". So you can insert translations in Glued view and individual files will be updated automatically. Or you can make changes in individual files and VIEW will be updated. The only limitation - if your files are glued, you can't join and split segments (usually). You have to unglue them, split/join segments and glue files again.

Yuki Okada
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Job done. Dec 3, 2018

Thank you everyone for your help. I was able to complete my job.

I built a Trados project without making changes to Word files (no hidden text). Then I opened several to ten files at a time to translate them. When I attempted to open all 77 files together, I was never successful. There were a few phrases that I wanted a backward autopropagation (i.e. I wanted to update my translation for files that weren't open at that point), I opened those previously-translated files. There were
... See more
Thank you everyone for your help. I was able to complete my job.

I built a Trados project without making changes to Word files (no hidden text). Then I opened several to ten files at a time to translate them. When I attempted to open all 77 files together, I was never successful. There were a few phrases that I wanted a backward autopropagation (i.e. I wanted to update my translation for files that weren't open at that point), I opened those previously-translated files. There were no graphics but the size of Word files and the number of those files appeared to be a big burden to Trados. I wondered how memoQ might behave, and how it would be with my other computer (newer laptop), but I did not try them out.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translate only colored text in MS Word .docx

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »