MemoQ2013: how to extract a Termbase into Excel?
Thread poster: Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:35
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Mar 3, 2014

Hello

a future client (?) asks me to build a glossary, I was thinking of extracting the termbase into an excel file, then work on the content to add comments.

the extraction (edit, cut and paste) didn't work;

could you recommend a method?

generally speaking I am very satisfied with MemoQ.

Have a good day!

Madeleine

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Easy! Mar 3, 2014

This is what I do:

1. Go to the edit mode of the termbase (in the list of termbases of the Resource Manager or in your project, select the termbase and click the "Edit" link).

2. Look for the Export icon and click it, or choose the "Term base > Export" menu options. The "Term base export settings" dialog appears.

3. For "Encoding", choose "Latin-1" (if your language is Latin-1 based; I think French is), since Microsoft Office uses the Latin-1 encoding and n
... See more
This is what I do:

1. Go to the edit mode of the termbase (in the list of termbases of the Resource Manager or in your project, select the termbase and click the "Edit" link).

2. Look for the Export icon and click it, or choose the "Term base > Export" menu options. The "Term base export settings" dialog appears.

3. For "Encoding", choose "Latin-1" (if your language is Latin-1 based; I think French is), since Microsoft Office uses the Latin-1 encoding and not the UTF-8 encoding. In "Delimiter", choose Tab. Choose the location for your file, which will have the CSV extention, and export.

4. In theory Excel should open this CSV file with separate columns, but at least in my case it clumps all columns together. In this case, you can easily open the CSV file with Windows' Notepad and copy/past into Excel. (You might also want to use semicolon or comma as a separator and see whether Excel opens the CSV file correctly, with separate columns.)

Now you have an Excel file with different columns. The ones you want to use for your customer will be immediately apparent since they contain your source and translated terms. You can delete the rest and rename the columns as appropriate.

I hope this helps a bit!
Collapse

Oscar Martin
Oscar Martin
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Export terminology Mar 3, 2014

Hi Madeleine,

You can export terminology to .csv format. In memoQ, go to Tools > Resource Console > Term bases. Select the term base and click on Export terminology.

Select Export as CSV, UTF-8 as Encoding and comma as Delimiter. Once exported, go to Excel, select File > Open to open the .csv file and follow the wizard steps.

Regards,

Oscar

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks a lot Tomas! Mar 3, 2014

Madeleine

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:35
Dutch to English
+ ...
no luck here! Dec 18, 2018

This is driving me mad, I can't believe it's impossible to export an Excel file with terminology, just a useless unreadable CSV.
The steps here haven't helped me unfortunately, as Excel opens these CSV files wrongly, just lumps everything together in one column.

Seriously thinking of moving to SDL, memoQ is looking very Mickey Mouse.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:35
English to Russian
Ok, let's simplify it for you Dec 19, 2018

1. Open your TB in Edit mode (in memoQ)
2. Select Term Base tab => Click 'Export'
3. In the next window, uncheck all checkboxes except 'Term text (with wildcards)'
4. Select 'Tab' for the 'Delimiter' options
5. Select your encoding. I use 'Windows, Cyrillic (1251)' for my target Russian language. Have no idea about yours.
6. Make sure 'Export as CSV' is still there.
7. Locate your saving path.
8. Ready? Click 'Export' now.

Now open the resul
... See more
1. Open your TB in Edit mode (in memoQ)
2. Select Term Base tab => Click 'Export'
3. In the next window, uncheck all checkboxes except 'Term text (with wildcards)'
4. Select 'Tab' for the 'Delimiter' options
5. Select your encoding. I use 'Windows, Cyrillic (1251)' for my target Russian language. Have no idea about yours.
6. Make sure 'Export as CSV' is still there.
7. Locate your saving path.
8. Ready? Click 'Export' now.

Now open the resulting csv.

9. Click on letter A above the leftmost column (which actually means 'select all column A').
10. While column A is still selected, click 'Data' tab and then 'Text to table'.
11. In the newly appeared window, click 'Next' 2 times ('delimiters' and 'tabs' checked), then 'Finish'
12. Drag the column A vertical border to the right.
Behold the magic.

Now (or before step 9) you can re-save it as regular xlsx if you need.
Good luck!

[Edited at 2018-12-19 00:31 GMT]
Collapse

Richard Purdom

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:35
English to Russian
The type of delimiter does not make any change Dec 19, 2018

You can leave comma delimiter as by default in memoQ. But then in Excel you will have to select comma too.
In Excel, the default delimiter is tab. That's why you have to select tab as delimiter in memoQ to ensure 'compatibility'.
Anyway, you still have the plurality of choices: select now 'tab' first for memoQ, then leave 'tab' as is for Excel; or leave 'comma' as is now in memoQ, but then select 'comma' later in Excel. Freedom of choice =)

Richard Purdom

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:35
Dutch to English
+ ...
thanks Stepan!! Dec 20, 2018

Thanks, that worked!
It's actually 'text to columns', but it got me where I wanted to be.

Still miffed as to why memoQ doesn't have an excel output option to save mucking around, i wasted a LOT of time on this yesterday

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ2013: how to extract a Termbase into Excel?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »