Thread poster: Nico Wagner
Nico Wagner
Nico Wagner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:05
English to German
Mar 11, 2021

Hi everyone!

I have always been wondering if there is a faster and/or more ergonomic way of typing thousands of words per day than a classic keyboard. I am currently using a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 with palm rests, which is nice in itself, but I still feel that there is some margin for improvement.

I have tried dictating with "Hey memoQ", but in my area of work there are usually too many technical terms, code fragments, brand names etc. in order for th
... See more
Hi everyone!

I have always been wondering if there is a faster and/or more ergonomic way of typing thousands of words per day than a classic keyboard. I am currently using a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 with palm rests, which is nice in itself, but I still feel that there is some margin for improvement.

I have tried dictating with "Hey memoQ", but in my area of work there are usually too many technical terms, code fragments, brand names etc. in order for that to really be viable.

Recently I stumbled upon the Azeron keypad (https://store.azeron.eu/index.php?route=extension/azeron_store_design_product/getAllKeypads) and was wondering if anybody has tried this device or other alternatives for text input. The device itself looks a bit rough around the edges and I can't really tell if it is built for heavy duty use or just for some gaming every now and then.

Looking forward to your input!
Nico
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Take it a step further Mar 11, 2021

Nico Wagner wrote:
Looking forward to your input!

I suffer(ed) from RSI. My thoughts here. Maybe try the UHK?

Dan

Nico Wagner
Nico Wagner  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Some good ideas Mar 11, 2021

Hi Dan,

There are some interesting ideas in your linked post that may be worth a try.

Regarding the UHK, I use the function keys and the numpad very frequently and would definitely miss those.

My current MS keyboard's palm rest is falling to pieces and I will need a new one soon, maybe I'll try a mechanical one for the first time ever. I like the Ergodox EZ, mainly because of the additional programmable thumb keys in the center and the freely configurable t
... See more
Hi Dan,

There are some interesting ideas in your linked post that may be worth a try.

Regarding the UHK, I use the function keys and the numpad very frequently and would definitely miss those.

My current MS keyboard's palm rest is falling to pieces and I will need a new one soon, maybe I'll try a mechanical one for the first time ever. I like the Ergodox EZ, mainly because of the additional programmable thumb keys in the center and the freely configurable tent/tilt/angle.

My initial question was mostly about me wondering if anyone has given up on traditional keyboards altogether and found a better way, even if it requires some initial training. As I said, voice input is not very helpful for the type of translations that I work on, and I don't know if my wrists will keep up with a million words/year for many more years...

Cheers,
Nico
Collapse

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Cumulative effect Mar 11, 2021

Nico Wagner wrote:
maybe I'll try a mechanical one for the first time ever. I like the Ergodox EZ, mainly because of the additional programmable thumb keys in the center and the freely configurable tent/tilt/angle.

It is, as you say, about the angles. Be aware that you'll need quite large hands to reach all those thumb keys on a standard-size Ergodox (like the EZ). If you're more average, one popular alternative is the Redox ("Reduced Ergodox"). You can get one from Falba Tech. I have one. It's fine, but not as turnkey an experience as the EZ.

My initial question was mostly about me wondering if anyone has given up on traditional keyboards altogether and found a better way, even if it requires some initial training.

How non-traditional do you want? I used a Maltron for six months. That's pretty much as radical as it gets, at least in the semi-mainstream. In the end it was too big a step even for me. There is a bit of research on keyboards. Don't know of any on keypads like the Azeron.

As I said, voice input is not very helpful for the type of translations that I work on

Frankly, I don't think you are in a position to say that until you have given it a proper try, and Hey memoQ is just not comparable to any version of Dragon. Adding new terminology (brand names) is not a problem - I do it all the time. Code would be more difficult, though not impossible. Personally, I don't use Dragon for coding, but then it's not actually all that much when measured in words. Most of the time I'm staring at the screen thinking, then typing in short bursts.

But the overarching point is that you use voice recognition where you can, and not where you can't. Experience suggests that the effects on the body of typing strain are cumulative, so anything you can do to reduce the burden will help.

and I don't know if my wrists will keep up with a million words/year for many more years...

They won't. The question is at what point you start getting serious about changing the behaviour that is wearing them out. Your situation is not at all unusual. Hundreds of thousands of people are affected by RSI and similar conditions, including many members of this forum, and we've already long since tried most of the things you are now considering. I'm ten years older than you. I had felt twinges on and off for years, but I first felt proper pain about five years ago. That's when I went back to all the things I had casually dismissed ("Voice recognition won't work for me, because I have lots of Japanese terms"), and got serious. Worked for me, may not work for you. But equally: no kicks, no goals.

Good luck,
Dan

Narcis Lozano Drago
Narcis Lozano Drago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:05
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard Mar 12, 2021

Like you, I have used the Natural 4000 for years. After over 10 years, the 3 I have were also starting to fall apart, but all the keyboards I tried to replace them didn't work.

-Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic: Functions keys are buttons rather than keys, weird key feeling, PgDn/PgUp and other keys are placed like in a laptop.
-Razer Gaming Keyboard: The noise of the mechanical keys is distracting, and the layout is not ergonomic. Good for macros, though.

Just a couple
... See more
Like you, I have used the Natural 4000 for years. After over 10 years, the 3 I have were also starting to fall apart, but all the keyboards I tried to replace them didn't work.

-Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic: Functions keys are buttons rather than keys, weird key feeling, PgDn/PgUp and other keys are placed like in a laptop.
-Razer Gaming Keyboard: The noise of the mechanical keys is distracting, and the layout is not ergonomic. Good for macros, though.

Just a couple of months ago I tried the Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard (LXM-0001).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-my/accessories/products/keyboards/microsoft-ergonomic-keyboard?activetab=overview:primaryr2

The feeling is EXACTLY like the Natural 4000, only that the key action is even smoother and better.
The only drawback is that in the Natural 4000 I used the Fn keys in the Natural 4000 for macros in
CAT tools (copy source, confirm segment, etc.), but they are no longer programmable in the
Keyboard & Mouse Center. However, an Autohotkey script solves the issue.

If you like the Natural 4000, I really recommend the LXM-0001

Cheers,

Narcis
Collapse

James Plastow
James Plastow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
moonlander Mar 16, 2021

This thing looks pretty cool...

https://www.zsa.io/moonlander/

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Nice isn't it Mar 16, 2021

James Plastow wrote:
This thing looks pretty cool...
https://www.zsa.io/moonlander/

Yes, it does, doesn't it. It's from the Ergodox EZ people, so you can have a bit of confidence in it. Those bendable thumb bits would probably make a big (positive) difference to the ergos compared to those of a normal Ergodox.

Dan

James Plastow

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Perixx Periboard Mar 16, 2021

I finally took the time to research keyboards and mice and take the plunge. I got a Perixx Periboard-512, which is wired with USB cable, but it doesn't work with Mac. The Periboard-612 works with Mac and PC, but it is only wireless, with Bluetooth and RF. I thought I was ordering the -612 with wired option but ended up with the -512. I still need to find something for my Mac that is wired. I don't like the idea of all those radio frequencies, and am not sure about the Bluetooth thing.
... See more
I finally took the time to research keyboards and mice and take the plunge. I got a Perixx Periboard-512, which is wired with USB cable, but it doesn't work with Mac. The Periboard-612 works with Mac and PC, but it is only wireless, with Bluetooth and RF. I thought I was ordering the -612 with wired option but ended up with the -512. I still need to find something for my Mac that is wired. I don't like the idea of all those radio frequencies, and am not sure about the Bluetooth thing.

I am using the Perixx right now with my work-assigned laptop (third day since the keyboard arrived). It is not too much of an adjustment, and actually, I think my typing accuracy is a little better than on a standard, flat keyboard!

I also ordered a J-Tech V638R vertical mouse, wired. I have a friend who does massage therapy, and she said that the handshake angle is good, not straight up-and-down like some vertical mice (causing more strain). I found an ambidextrous mouse, Posturite Penguin, where your hand would be in the shape of a C. She told me to lay my hand on the car hood and see what was most comfortable, and it was more comfortable with fingers extended somewhat, as in a handshake, than curved like holding a glass. That is how we could tell that the ambidextrous one would not be best for me.

I hope this helps someone--or more than one person!
Collapse

Dan Lucas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Azeron Keypad or other alternative text input devices

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »