Creeating a website, cooperating with an overseas colleague, international tax
Thread poster: Gabriela Dal
Gabriela Dal
Gabriela Dal
United Kingdom
Aug 18, 2019

Hello everyone.

I hold a BA in Translation and I am creating a website in order to start my career as a freelance translator. I am working with a colleague who is going to be in charge of editing and proofreading my work.The problem is that she doesn't live in Europe; she lives in Latin America and I am wondering whether it is legal for her to collaborate on this project considering that she doesn't live in the UK /EU. Also, do I have to pay taxes on the work that she carries out?
... See more
Hello everyone.

I hold a BA in Translation and I am creating a website in order to start my career as a freelance translator. I am working with a colleague who is going to be in charge of editing and proofreading my work.The problem is that she doesn't live in Europe; she lives in Latin America and I am wondering whether it is legal for her to collaborate on this project considering that she doesn't live in the UK /EU. Also, do I have to pay taxes on the work that she carries out? As I said before, I have just started my career and I am a bit confused with taxes and all the implications of working as a freelacer. If any of you could help me to understand this complex process, I would totally appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance.
Gabi
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:48
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Gabriela Aug 19, 2019

Gabriela Dal wrote:
I would like to work with a colleague who is going to be in charge of editing and proofreading my work, but I am wondering whether it is legal for her to collaborate on this project considering that she doesn't live in the UK/EU. Also, do I have to pay taxes on the work that she carries out?

I don't think it is illegal. I often work with colleagues who live in other countries, although I usually prefer that the client/agency liaise with them directly, because it makes my own bookkeeping simpler. In other words, in such a project, both I and the other translator work directly for the client (and is paid directly by the client), but we work together as if we are full colleagues.

If your client doesn't want to contract the proofreader separately, but rather pay you everything (so that you pay the proofreader out of your own pocket), then I think it should be reasonably simple too: the money that you pay the proofreader is a fully deductible business expense (i.e. you deduct it from your profit when you submit your tax returns, so that you don't pay tax on it). I'm not sure if in the UK it makes a difference whether the seller (i.e. the proofreader, whom you buy a service from) is a "business" or a natural person (in my country of residence, it matters only for buyers of services). The proofreader is not your employee or even your business partner, but simply someone that you buy a service from.

Gabriela Dal

Gabriela Dal
Gabriela Dal
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 19, 2019

Thank you for all your help. Your contribution has been really useful. Thanks.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:48
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
There is a forum for doing business in the UK Aug 22, 2019

You may want to check out this forum, and perhaps post UK-specific questions there:
https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_the_uk-794.html

Gabriela Dal

Gabriela Dal
Gabriela Dal
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 26, 2019

Thank you very much! I will have a look at it.
All the best.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creeating a website, cooperating with an overseas colleague, international tax

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »