Léa Meignien (X)
Léa Meignien (X)
France
Local time: 22:52
French
+ ...
Nov 17, 2018

Hello everyone,

I'm a French translation student, residing in France, and I'm occasionally looking for opportunities to work.
I have been contacted by a company to translate two documents, and I feel ready to undertake this job.
But I am wondering how can I create a bill as I'm not registered as self-employed? Can I make this one job without being registered? (which would be great honestly) How should I create my bill?

I am a total newbie here. Thank you in
... See more
Hello everyone,

I'm a French translation student, residing in France, and I'm occasionally looking for opportunities to work.
I have been contacted by a company to translate two documents, and I feel ready to undertake this job.
But I am wondering how can I create a bill as I'm not registered as self-employed? Can I make this one job without being registered? (which would be great honestly) How should I create my bill?

I am a total newbie here. Thank you in advance for any help provided.

(I realise I probably should have posted in the Getting established topic, sorry)

[Edited at 2018-11-17 08:31 GMT]
Collapse

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
French tax legislation Nov 19, 2018

Your best bet would be to contact an accountant or someone who can advise you what to do based on French tax legislation. Here in Italy, someone who earns less than 5000 Euros per year does not need to have a VAT number and can issue what's known as a "ricevuta per prestazione occasionale". But I don't know what the situation is in France.

Best of luck!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Mariane Lambert
Mariane Lambert  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
registration is a must Nov 20, 2018

Hi Léa,
You have to register as a freelance translator (my suggestion would be to register as a micro-entreprise) in order to legally issue invoices. Your invoices must mention your SIRET number as well as your European VAT number if your client is located in a member State of the EU that is not France. You can only obtain those numbers upon registration of your activity.
Taking this job without being registered as self-employed would require an employment contract with that company
... See more
Hi Léa,
You have to register as a freelance translator (my suggestion would be to register as a micro-entreprise) in order to legally issue invoices. Your invoices must mention your SIRET number as well as your European VAT number if your client is located in a member State of the EU that is not France. You can only obtain those numbers upon registration of your activity.
Taking this job without being registered as self-employed would require an employment contract with that company. Otherwise, it would be considered illegal work.
Collapse

Léa Meignien (X)
Léa Meignien (X)
France
French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 20, 2018

Hi all,

Thank you for your advice and replies.

Marianne, I actually had a look at the documentation they sent me for the job and indeed, I have to register. So I am going to start the procedures this week.

Do you have an idea of how long the procedures take?

Mariane Lambert
Mariane Lambert  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
not too long Nov 20, 2018

I registered a few years ago, and I don't remember exactly how much time went by between filling out the registration form online and receiving my SIRET number, but I believe it wasn't very long, maybe a week or two. It took much longer to get my European VAT number from the taxation office, but that's just my experience.

Good luck to you in any case!

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 16:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Check the legitimacy of the client first Nov 20, 2018

if you knew nothing about them before. How did they find you, what steps did they take to choose you. Get familiar with the Scam forum.

I am not saying that it is necessarily a scam but, unfortunately, scammers' hunting season for less experienced translators has been extended to round the year.

Otherwise, congratulations on another job in your portfolio.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm a student and I'm offered a job

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »