Should I include a standardized test score relevant to my area of specialization on my resume?
Thread poster: jadawo (X)
jadawo (X)
jadawo (X)
United States
Local time: 21:29
Nov 14, 2018

Is it reasonable to include my score on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) on my resume if I am trying to get established as a natural science and medical translator? I fortunately scored very well (98th percentile).

On one hand, I think it could show that I am adept at reading and understanding complex scientific articles and passages (3 out of the 4 sections involve analyzing scientific passages--the other is non-science articles). On the other hand, I do not want to seem a
... See more
Is it reasonable to include my score on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) on my resume if I am trying to get established as a natural science and medical translator? I fortunately scored very well (98th percentile).

On one hand, I think it could show that I am adept at reading and understanding complex scientific articles and passages (3 out of the 4 sections involve analyzing scientific passages--the other is non-science articles). On the other hand, I do not want to seem arrogant or boastful if agencies would not really care about this. I do have other natural science and medical experience on my resume (it's on my profile).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-John

[Edited at 2018-11-14 05:29 GMT]
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 10:29
Chinese to English
+ ...
Make it inconspicious Nov 14, 2018

The problem isn't in sounding arrogant or boastful, it's the danger that people will think that's the best you've got. Imagine if you saw a resume that said "scored 2300 on the SAT" - what kind of message do you think that sends? Some college kid with zero real world experience.

The MCAT certifies that you're not terribly dumb. I can't imagine it means much more in terms of knowledge than the B.S. that you already have, and probably much less. It's not a crime to include it, but rea
... See more
The problem isn't in sounding arrogant or boastful, it's the danger that people will think that's the best you've got. Imagine if you saw a resume that said "scored 2300 on the SAT" - what kind of message do you think that sends? Some college kid with zero real world experience.

The MCAT certifies that you're not terribly dumb. I can't imagine it means much more in terms of knowledge than the B.S. that you already have, and probably much less. It's not a crime to include it, but really make it no more than a tiny footnote, and make sure that it's practically the last thing that anyone sees on your resume - after they've seen whatever qualifications and experiences you've listed.
Collapse

Kay Denney

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:29
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I think it is very relevant to include it Nov 14, 2018

It means you are smart and being smart is not a bad thing at all when it comes to translation.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
it's ok Nov 14, 2018

John, you may, can, should, and ought to include everything you consider relevant and appropriate for boosting you self-presentation--till you can prove it's true. Anyway, it would be a plus. Why, I saw many CVs and cover letters with hobbies, interests, preferences, and volunteer groups, which also helped prospects to make their choice. Why not?

P.S. I can't see your CV for more details, because it's 404 err now(

[Edited at 2018-11-14 06:57 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:29
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Definitely Nov 14, 2018

You shouldn't worry about being boastful when you're sticking to facts. You scored exceptionally well in a test that's totally relevant, so why not say so? I'm sure any client trying to decide between two similar quotes will see it as very positive.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:29
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
John's résumé URL Nov 14, 2018

DZiW wrote:
I can't see your CV for more details, because it's 404 error.

This appears to be a ProZ.com bug -- I recommend someone reporting it. John's profile page says his résumé is here:
http://www.proz.com/ht/profile_resources/2635547_r5bebae426690b.pdf
...but in reality it is here:
https://sslcdn.proz.com/profile_resources/2635547_r5bebae426690b.pdf
...and sometimes the first URL does forward to the second one, but sometimes it doesn't.

Anyway, you'll see John's résumé is still unfinished, so let the comments start rolling in!

[Edited at 2018-11-14 15:51 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 04:29
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
As long as it is true you need to boast as much as possible on your CV Nov 14, 2018

Sober, objective qualifications are precisely what you need on a CV, especially if you are in the top percentiles. That is how you build up a strong profile and stand out from the crowd.

Look at it from the client's point of view. If you needed a translator to do the kinds of jobs you are good at, what would you look for?

Never mind the waffle about being motivated and delivering on time etc. They should be able to take that for granted! Highlight anything that will spe
... See more
Sober, objective qualifications are precisely what you need on a CV, especially if you are in the top percentiles. That is how you build up a strong profile and stand out from the crowd.

Look at it from the client's point of view. If you needed a translator to do the kinds of jobs you are good at, what would you look for?

Never mind the waffle about being motivated and delivering on time etc. They should be able to take that for granted! Highlight anything that will specifically attract the kinds of clients you want to work for.

You should never lie on a CV, and take care not to write anything misleading, but as long as you have anything positive and relevant, use it to the best advantage.
Collapse

jadawo (X)
jadawo (X)
United States
Local time: 21:29
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone... Nov 14, 2018

...for the kind words and advice. I will definitely include the exam on my resume.

@Samuel I had someone proofread my resume but it sounds like we both missed something. What did you see? Also, I followed the ProZ Resume wiki guide and thought I answered all of the questions that a potential reader might have. Would you recommend adding additional information?

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 10:29
Chinese to English
+ ...
One little thing Nov 14, 2018

If you asked your professor or your career center, they'll probably tell you this too - don't put in the year that you graduated, unless it's more than 5 years ago. Right now, you're broadcasting that you're fresh out of college, and there's no need to do so.

jadawo (X)
Jorge Payan
David Lin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I include a standardized test score relevant to my area of specialization on my resume?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »