Can I send and receive Fax messages through computer?
Thread poster: Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Local time: 15:39
English to Hindi
+ ...
Dec 7, 2005

I use windows xp machine. I want to know whether I can receive and send fax messages through computer itself because in that case I won't have any need to buy expensive fax machine?

And if the computer is off whether I'll be able to receive fax messages?

Thanks

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:09
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Yes, you are Dec 7, 2005

There are a lot of fax programs.
What you will need, is a modem or an ISDN-Card in your PC.
If you use an ISDN-Card I can recommend the Fritz-solutions from AVM. They come with all software you need, a fax software is included in the package.
If you use a modem, so possibly it comes with some fax software too.
If no, you might want to check the Symantec solution named WinFAX. Some informations about it are provided here.

You might also be interested in the search results by Google for "fax software freeware".

Best
Jerzy
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Fax modem Dec 7, 2005

You need the actual fax modem hardware in your computer, of course.
The Windows XP fax driver is quite sufficient for basic fax jobs (send and receive). To send a fax, you simply "print" a document, selecting the fax as your "printer".

To receive a fax, you go to the Printers option in your control panel, select "Fax". A window will come up and you click on the "receive now" icon. (Then the other person calls and you receive the fax.)

If you want your computer to
... See more
You need the actual fax modem hardware in your computer, of course.
The Windows XP fax driver is quite sufficient for basic fax jobs (send and receive). To send a fax, you simply "print" a document, selecting the fax as your "printer".

To receive a fax, you go to the Printers option in your control panel, select "Fax". A window will come up and you click on the "receive now" icon. (Then the other person calls and you receive the fax.)

If you want your computer to receive faxes when you are away (like a desktop fax machine), you must leave it on all the time, presumably in some sort of hibernation mode.
If the computer is turned off completely, the modem will not receive a fax.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

There is a somewhat related topic on faxes posted recently.

Here: http://www.proz.com/topic/39932

[Edited at 2005-12-07 12:45]
Collapse

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 06:09
English
Internet fax solution Dec 7, 2005

Sanjiv Sadana wrote:

I use windows xp machine. I want to know whether I can receive and send fax messages through computer itself because in that case I won't have any need to buy expensive fax machine?

And if the computer is off whether I'll be able to receive fax messages?

Thanks

I use an internet solution from Innoport.com. Faxes you receive are e-mailed to you in a PDF or a TIFF, your choice. You can send in a number of ways:
- e-mail a file (PDF, Word, others, but I recommend PDF) with a specially-drafted e-mail with the recipient's fax number
- log on to their web site, fill out the (optional) cover page, and upload a file

Very handy, and a heckuva lot cheaper than eFax.

Matt Baird
Matt Baird
Germany
German to English
Myfax.com Dec 7, 2005

This is the online service I use. Like the previous post, faxes are sent via email. You receive your own fax number and faxes are received as attachments in emails. To send, you simply send an email with your fax document attached (you may need a scanner if, for example, you are returning signed documents by fax).

There are numerous options online. Google "internet fax" and you'll find many options on the first page alone.

Best regards,

Matt

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:09
Finnish to French
Can you have a non-US fax number with Innoport.com? Dec 7, 2005

tlmurray wrote:
I use an internet solution from Innoport.com.
[snip]
Very handy, and a heckuva lot cheaper than eFax.

Yes, but does Innoport.com let you pick up a fax number outside the USA? I don't think so. I'm based in Finland and more than 95% of my customers are in Finland. No way I'll force them to send me faxes to a US number. eFax/jConnect let me have a local (Finnish( fax number.

David Hop
David Hop
Bangladesh
Setting up in fax in the office. Mar 18, 2020

I"m a newbie here. And also new to fax as well. I'm going to set up fax service in my office. Can you please help me finding out a free fax service.

David Hop
David Hop
Bangladesh
I found cocofax for free! Mar 24, 2020

Guys, I was asking for your help. Anyways, I found cocofax a while ago which I want to share with you all. Cocofax helped me to send and receive faxes online free and get started now https://cocofax.com/. Not bad though. You can try if you want. Thanks!

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Cocofax not free Mar 24, 2020

David Hop wrote:

Guys, I was asking for your help. Anyways, I found cocofax a while ago which I want to share with you all. Cocofax helped me to send and receive faxes online free and get started now https://cocofax.com/. Not bad though. You can try if you want. Thanks!

This is a paid service after 30 days. Not a totally free solution.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Right. Mar 24, 2020

Kevin Fulton wrote:

David Hop wrote:

For many of this kind of services, you may have to remember to cancel it. Otherwise, you will be continuously charged a monthly fee until you realize it long time later [Edited at 2020-03-24 17:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-03-24 17:20 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
VOIP phone Mar 25, 2020

My phone number is a VOIP phone and I can send/receive faxes through my VOIP provider's website, with no extra charge for the faxes.

[Edited at 2020-03-25 20:01 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Cocofax Mar 25, 2020

jyuan_us wrote:
Kevin Fulton wrote:
David Hop wrote:
I found Cocofax a while ago which I want to share with you all. Cocofax helped me to send and receive faxes online free.

For many of this kind of services, you may have to remember to cancel it. Otherwise, you will be continuously charged a monthly fee until you realize it long time later...

I don't use Cocofax myself, but from what I can see on the pricing pages and terms and conditions, it would be possible to get a fax number for just a month and then let it expire without having to "remember to cancel it".

That said, the sign-up procedure appears to be broken.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you for your clarification Mar 26, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

I don't use Cocofax myself, but from what I can see on the pricing pages and terms and conditions, it would be possible to get a fax number for just a month and then let it expire without having to "remember to cancel it".

That said, the sign-up procedure appears to be broken.

In that case, Cocofax seems a good one, which I may consider using in the future.

I was charged by some companies (not necessarily efax companies) for the fees of additional months or an additional year's fee after I had stopped using their services, because I forgot to tick something when I signed up.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I send and receive Fax messages through computer?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »