BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:51
English to French
+ ...
Apr 2, 2020

Hello, Techies,

One client sends me Word files with only some of the text requiring translation. Text to translate is highlighted in blue.

The source is a mix of [placeholders], wordings in the source language not requiring translation and about 40% of actual text to translate.

Sticking the Word source into CafeTran, my TM app (I work on a Mac) is not very practical as it is difficult to identify what is to translate and what needs to be left as is.
... See more
Hello, Techies,

One client sends me Word files with only some of the text requiring translation. Text to translate is highlighted in blue.

The source is a mix of [placeholders], wordings in the source language not requiring translation and about 40% of actual text to translate.

Sticking the Word source into CafeTran, my TM app (I work on a Mac) is not very practical as it is difficult to identify what is to translate and what needs to be left as is.

I am looking for a way to extract the text in blue highlight (or any highlight colour for that matter) in order to create a "translatables only" Word (or possibly Excel but Word would be best) file. I would then process it in CafeTran and reimport the translated wordings into my original Word file layout, leaving all placeholders and non-translatable undisturbed.

I gave it a go using Excel as a go between to try sort out my highlighted/non highlighted wordings. Excel picks up on character colour and can sort cells on that basis easily, but I could not transfer the text highlights from Word to Excel, so no joy.

Does anyone know of a simple workaround to sort, extract and reinstate wording in a Word document?

Thanks for your input.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Have you tried hidden text? Apr 2, 2020

BabelOn-line wrote:
Text to translate is highlighted in blue.

Do you know how to use MS Word's find/replace function to find all non-highlighted text and make them hidden? Press Ctrl+H, then click the "More" button to open up the extra options.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Find what: ? (i.e. a question mark)
Highlight: no (try selecting highlight twice to get it to say "no")

Replace what: [nothing]
Font: hidden

Wildcards: enabled
--------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as I know, CafeTran will ignore hidden text. Don't forget to make the hidden text unhidden before sending to the client.

[Edited at 2020-04-02 12:40 GMT]

Davide Fezzardi
Erwin van Wouw

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
FYI, also posted in the CafeTran forum Apr 2, 2020

Also posted in the CafeTran forum:
https://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/342662.html

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
CAT tool "untranslatable" attribute Apr 2, 2020

Alternatively, perhaps you could simply use Word's own Search-&-Replace facility to apply the 'untranslatable' attribute used by your CAT tool to any text that is highlighted; this has the advantage of leaving the other text visible, which may or may not be helpful to you! My only fear is that, if the highlighting is on/off mid-segment, you might encounter some segmentation issues.

Davide Fezzardi
Davide Fezzardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
Word regex to find numbers and letters Apr 2, 2020

Hello,
I had the same idea as Samuel.
You can also have a try with:

Find what: ([0-9A-z])
Options: "Use wildcards"
Format: "not highlight"

Replace with: \1
Format: "hidden"

This regex finds any letter or number without highlight (avoiding other characters like spaces and new-line marks) and set them as hidden.

Kind regards
Davide

[Edited at 2020-04-02 12:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-04-02 12:52 GMT]

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:51
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Samuel, Tony and Davide Apr 2, 2020

Quick check shows that CafeTran disregards hidden text.

Hans came to a similar solution in the CafeTran part of the forum.

Must do a quick test to check that CafeTran will save a clean version, but this very much looks like a perfect solution as I don't have to do any manual adjustments (except may be for segments that are only part highlighted).

Fab answers, thanks to you all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extracting highlighted text in Word and re-importing the translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »