Thread poster: Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:33
German to English
Jan 16, 2019

Hi folks,

it's time to change up my laptop for something a bit faster. I'll be upgrading to SDL 2019 too. What kind of computing power are people needing to keep everything flowing nicely. Alongside SDL I'll be running memoQ, and ABBYY on occasion alongside standard MS productions and online search engines.

I don't want to buy a hammer (DELL XPS?) to crack a nut, but I want a machine with plenty of power to avoid any annoying delays.

All advice and info app
... See more
Hi folks,

it's time to change up my laptop for something a bit faster. I'll be upgrading to SDL 2019 too. What kind of computing power are people needing to keep everything flowing nicely. Alongside SDL I'll be running memoQ, and ABBYY on occasion alongside standard MS productions and online search engines.

I don't want to buy a hammer (DELL XPS?) to crack a nut, but I want a machine with plenty of power to avoid any annoying delays.

All advice and info appreciated.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
i7 > i5 Jan 16, 2019

Conor Murphy wrote:
it's time to change up my laptop for something a bit faster. I'll be upgrading to SDL 2019 too. What kind of computing power are people needing to keep everything flowing nicely.

Have a laptop with an i7 here. Works fine with SDL Studio.

Regards,
Dan

Elif Baykara Narbay

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
not always i7 > i5 Jan 17, 2019

@Dan, it's no axiom:

First, CPU real cores are more efficient than hyper-threading (virtual ones).

Second, it greatly depends on the CPU generation.

Third, also it depends on the very model specialization.

Fourth, hardware + software + OS + settings + configuration + tuning + tweaking + . . .

@Conor, you didn't mention the current notebook specifications or issues, yet considering any CAT tool is mostly
... See more
@Dan, it's no axiom:

Fourth, hardware + software + OS + settings + configuration + tuning + tweaking + . . .

@Conor, you didn't mention the current notebook specifications or issues, yet considering any CAT tool is mostly but a database querying, the bottleneck is often:
- SSD (even a cheap MLC can do faster than SATA-3, let alone while traveling);
- RAM (4GB is now a minimum even for x32, reserving some 400MB);
- energy efficiency (UPS + anti-overheating);
- configuration (removing unnecessary services/apps);
-- only then comes a decent dual-core CPU (or better).

Indeed, apart from changing OS or hardware vendors, one could always consider a different CAT tool.

[Edited at 2019-01-17 02:05 GMT]
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 22:33
Chinese to English
+ ...
Standard recommendationa Jan 17, 2019

A modern quad core CPU, 16GB RAM, an SSD; this should cover most usage cases.

I got a Lenovo E585 a short while back with these specs and I've been quite satisfied with it at work.

Paul Malone
sam@fr-uk
Dan Lucas

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:33
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Is 2019 much different from 2017? Jan 17, 2019

I'm running Studio 2017 on a three years old Fujitsu notebook with 250 Gb SSD without any performance problems. 8 Gb Ram, Win7. I have constantly open Chrome, Thunderbird, Word, Excel, Abbyy Finreader and pdf-reader etc. along with some games. Studio does fine.

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Large files and large TM problems Jan 21, 2019

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I'm running Studio 2017 on a three years old Fujitsu notebook with 250 Gb SSD without any performance problems. 8 Gb Ram, Win7. I have constantly open Chrome, Thunderbird, Word, Excel, Abbyy Finreader and pdf-reader etc. along with some games. Studio does fine.

I guess you never try to open a 60Mb xml file or use a large TM. I have the same configuration as yours, except with 1 TB SSD, and I routinely run into long waiting times and incorrect error messages that make it hard to deliver projects in time.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 15:33
English to German
In memoriam
32 GB RAM Jan 21, 2019

When you buy a new system, I'd never go below 32 GB of RAM nowadays. All modern software is very RAM hungry, even a browser with many tabs open wants lots of RAM, not mentioning CAT and word processing software. Also, you might want to use voice recognition software at some point, which also happily consumes a lot of RAM. When your RAM is insufficient because you have too many apps open, the system will start swapping memory to disk and slow down terribly.

A big SSD as a primary har
... See more
When you buy a new system, I'd never go below 32 GB of RAM nowadays. All modern software is very RAM hungry, even a browser with many tabs open wants lots of RAM, not mentioning CAT and word processing software. Also, you might want to use voice recognition software at some point, which also happily consumes a lot of RAM. When your RAM is insufficient because you have too many apps open, the system will start swapping memory to disk and slow down terribly.

A big SSD as a primary harddisk also speeds up your system.

I've got an Acer Aspire laptop with 32 GB RAM and 500 GB SSD and that's a real workhorse.
Collapse

sam@fr-uk

Conor Murphy
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Changing my HP Pavilion due to slow performance, dodgy key board and battery issues Jan 21, 2019

DZiW wrote:

@Dan, it's no axiom:

@Conor, you didn't mention the current notebook specifications or issues, yet considering any CAT tool is mostly but a database querying, the bottleneck is often:
- SSD (even a cheap MLC can do faster than SATA-3, let alone while traveling);
- RAM (4GB is now a minimum even for x32, reserving some 400MB);
- energy efficiency (UPS + anti-overheating);
- configuration (removing unnecessary services/apps);
-- only then comes a decent dual-core CPU (or better).

Indeed, apart from changing OS or hardware vendors, one could always consider a different CAT tool.

[Edited at 2019-01-17 02:05 GMT]

Thanks for that reply. Biggest issue is slow performance, but I need to replace keyboard, battery and WiFi card too maybe.

Here are my system specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD A10-5745M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 2100 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.19 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.55 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.2 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.00 GB

Conor Murphy
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
And thanks to everyone who has posted so far. Jan 21, 2019

New laptop should last me 4-5 years.

I'll get the old one refurbed and have it as a family computer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PC Power needed to run SDL 2019 efficiently alongside standard applications

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »