Thread poster: Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno
Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno
Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 17, 2018

Hello!
My client has requested I add line break tags to my translation at every number of characters (each file has a specific character restriction per line and a line restriction per segment) even though source does not have line break tags. I'm trying to come up with a practical way to do that but haven't had any success so far. Do you have any suggestions? I'm using Studio for this job but I can also use MemoQ.
Maybe regular expressions would help?
Thank you...
See more
Hello!
My client has requested I add line break tags to my translation at every number of characters (each file has a specific character restriction per line and a line restriction per segment) even though source does not have line break tags. I'm trying to come up with a practical way to do that but haven't had any success so far. Do you have any suggestions? I'm using Studio for this job but I can also use MemoQ.
Maybe regular expressions would help?
Thank you

[Editada em 2018-09-17 02:05 GMT]
Collapse

Olaf Schutze (X)
Olaf Schutze (X)  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to German
+ ...
ms word? Feb 13, 2019

have a look here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22464053/microsoft-word-vba-insert-carriage-return-after-set-character-amount

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Maria Feb 14, 2019

Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno wrote:
My client has requested I add line break tags to my translation at every number of characters (each file has a specific character restriction per line and a line restriction per segment) even though source does not have line break tags.

I assume the line break should not be in the middle of a word.

If you are able to change the font in your target field to a monospace font, then what you can do is resize the window so that target field is only as wide as the character limit. Then, make sure you add line breaks at the end of each line.

According to this page, you can possibly get monospace font in Trados in the target field using "Formatting Display Style".

The same question was asked in 2015, and I just found out that my answer was the same. (-:

Olaf Schutze wrote:
Have a look here, "Microsoft Word VBA: Insert Carriage Return after set character amount".

As far as I know, Visual Basic scripting does not work in either Trados or MemoQ.

Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno wrote:
My client has requested I add line break tags to my translation...

Sorry, what does your client mean by line break TAGS? Why does your client insist on tags? Will your client be satisfied with just pure, ordinary soft line breaks?

[Edited at 2019-02-14 08:25 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
specifics Feb 14, 2019

What tags? As line breaks? Every x chars for the original or the translation?
Ask for a prepared project or charge extra!

It's still weird, considering there's a possibility to limit the segment length, be it for subtitling or text windows.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Manually adding line breaks at every N number of characters

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »