Thread poster: Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 17:45
ProZ.com team
Apr 7, 2020

To read the illustrated version, click on https://tinyurl.com/qmtaqlo

The summit kicks off today
In a rapid response to this developing crisis, the training team at ProZ.com, led by Drew MacFadyen, has worked flat out to put together an event in record time, bringing you insight, tips, shared experience, and a special focus on wellbeing during this stressful and unprecedented
... See more
To read the illustrated version, click on https://tinyurl.com/qmtaqlo

The summit kicks off today
In a rapid response to this developing crisis, the training team at ProZ.com, led by Drew MacFadyen, has worked flat out to put together an event in record time, bringing you insight, tips, shared experience, and a special focus on wellbeing during this stressful and unprecedented period. You'll find ideas on how to stay relaxed and on form during this period, and plenty of advice on how to prepare for the post-crisis future. Of course, no one knows how this will pan out, but we need to give ourselves the best chance to rebuild slowly once this is over, as it will be.
It all starts at 2pm GMT today, on www.proz.com/tv/Summit2020
Come along, share with your friends, and take advantage of a unique event.

Prize giveaways
We'll come clean: amid the celebration of ProZ-.com's 20th anniversary last year, the prize giveaways we announced seem to have been filed away in a drawer and forgotten about. That was too bad. But now they're back, and this time they won't get forgotten. We'll be in touch with the winners directly as soon as the draw is over.
Granted, you may not be able to use the "exotic trips for two" immediately, but they will still be valid when the pause button is released and the world starts turning again.
For details, visit https://go.proz.com/prizes

Boosting your tech skills
Translators with more time on their hands may take this opportunity to strengthen their technical skill set or add a new software application to their professional tool belt. In this session, you will learn about free and low-cost resources you can use to take your tech skills to the next level, including training resources and free and low-cost technologies you can learn quickly.
Adam Wooten is an associate professor at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey, teaching translation technology courses in the Translation & Localization Management program.

Speeding up your translation
"Are you a translator/interpreter? If so, you are like me. In fact, although I translate documents, I have a very outgoing personality and prefer to be out amongst people interpreting instead of looking at a computer screen all day. But, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and translate. So, I look for different ways in which I can increase my translation speed. Why? So I can finish the document faster!"
In this session, Korean-English interpreter/translator Robert Holloway shows you how to super-boost your translation and transcription speed.All you need is a Gmail account, access to Google Docs and a microphone

Managing the new normal
As COVID-19 gets underway it brings in its wake more and more job cancellations and fee reductions.
Panic is setting in amongst freelance language professionals.
Sue Leschen will consider the C word - can it mean challenges? How can we protect ourselves against loss of income and respond to this unprecedented crisis? Is agreeing to reduce rates a good idea? How can we survive if we don't or even if we do? Is this a good time to diversify our services? What is your take on this crisis and is the new normal remote working?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com Daily 07/04/20: Freelancer Success Summit kicks off

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »