Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35] >
难翻的词 (The English words that are very difficult to translate into Chinese)
Thread poster: Zhoudan
wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:37
Chinese to English
+ ...
观望者 Nov 3, 2009

Yueyin,

哪里! 这里文字好的和翻译水平高的很多, 包括你本人. 而且好多人都在潜水, 或许不愿发言, 或许太忙.

peiling
peiling  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:37
Chinese to English
+ ...
过奖了. Nov 3, 2009

我还觉得您改得好,把翻译稿提高了不少呢.不过得到前辈称赞还是挺让人兴奋的.
ysun wrote:

Zhoudan wrote:

老孙:

看电视剧想着翻译,大概是职业病了。幸好,这里有Steve和PeiLing。Deprive a boy, spoil a girl.

是的。Steve 和 Pei Ling 的语言和翻译水平确实高。前两天某翻译社让我校对一份 Pei Ling 从中文译成英文的《药品临床试验合约》。该合约既涉及医学、药学,又涉及法律。Pei Ling 确实译得棒!我相信客户一定会十分满意。中译英项目的一个好处就在于,看不懂中文的客户自己一眼就能大致看出翻译水平的高低。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
实事求是 Nov 3, 2009

wherestip wrote:

Yueyin,

Steve,

别谦虚。文字好的和翻译水平高的确实很多,周丹也是其中之一。但像你和 Pei Ling 这样既懂专业又是 Native English speaker 的人并不是很多。你们这样的是专业文章中译英的最理想人选。我一个人说你们水平高没用。我相信大部分旁观者也都清楚。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
我是说实在话 Nov 3, 2009

Pei Ling Haußecker wrote:

我也许能挑出你译文中的某些不足,也许能加以改进,但要我直接从中文译成英文,一定不如你译得好。再说,如果原译文不好,再修改也好不到那里去。我没有本事把石头琢成玉。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
谢谢 Nov 3, 2009

ysun wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Yueyin,

Steve,

别谦虚。文字好的和翻译水平高的确实很多,周丹也是其中之一。但像你和 Pei Ling 这样既懂专业又是 Native English speaker 的人并不是很多。你们这样的是专业文章中译英的最理想人选。我一个人说你们水平高没用。我相信大部分旁观者也都清楚。

Thanks a lot, Yueyin. I really appreciate it.

peiling
peiling  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:37
Chinese to English
+ ...
也感谢您 Nov 4, 2009

帮忙回答该翻译社的疑问.我之前看到有人说因为时差的关系她一年之内把所有客户都弄丢了,看来并不是不无道理的.在美国的时候,我都能第一时间回答他们的问题,可是现在要让他们等到第二天了. 难怪翻译社都偏好同时区的翻译.而且近来我的工作时间都改到傍晚了.
ysun wrote:

我也许能挑出你译文中的某些不足,也许能加以改进,但要我直接从中文译成英文,一定不如你译得好。再说,如果原译文不好,再修改也好不到那里去。我没有本事把石头琢成玉。

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 10:37
观望者 Nov 4, 2009

wherestip wrote:
观望者

Steve,

你为什么总说自己是outsider?

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
An outsider Nov 4, 2009

Bin Tiede wrote:

wherestip wrote:

观望者

Steve,

你为什么总说自己是outsider?

Bin,

Good question. I wonder why myself.

Well, it's mainly because I haven't been actively doing translation work as a profession. Since my retirement, Yueyin has been kind enough to provide me with some job leads. On some occasions he even went out of his way to give some words of recommendation to the hiring PMs on my behalf. But still, most of the time I found it a real hassle to have to toot my own horn and go bid for these jobs. I think I'm rather content just concentrating on enjoying my retirement.

I also must say attribute it to the remaining influence from my formative years living in China. In the Mao years, people were made to feel like outsiders if they didn't come from the "right" family background - this meant either the Communist Party leadership, the proletariat ruling class, or the peasant poor. This artifically created class differentiation - which I believe in essence was a caste system - was a real killer to true equality. Through the constant barrage of political campaigns over the years, people like me were repeatedly brainwashed into thinking they were only second-class citizens. I guess this mindset became second nature to me, and stuck with me even to this day.

http://www.proz.com/post/645614#645614

BTW, some of this old baggage is perhaps only understandable by someone from the older generation.

Besides all the above, I have no plans of ever leaving the United States. You know the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", or "leave well enough alone" - or you can even say "别穷折腾了" So in that sense, I'm always going to remain an outsider from the perspective of those who live in China looking out.

[Edited at 2009-11-05 14:33 GMT]

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 10:37
打个不恰当的比方 Nov 4, 2009

就像武林中真正的高手一样,总是处于出世和入世之间……

But honestly, I do wonder if anybody can stand the stress of a translator's job, if he doesn't have to live on it. In this sense,

Enjoy being an outsider!

wherestip wrote:

Bin,

Good question. I wonder why myself?

Well, it's mostly because I haven't been actively doing translation work as a profession. Since retirement, Yueyin has been kind enough to provide me with some job leads. On some occasions he even went out of his way to make some recommendations to the PMs. But still, most of the time I found it a real hassle to toot my own horn and go bid for these jobs. I think I'm rather content just concentrating on enjoying my retirement.

I also must say another factor is the remnant of my formative years living in China. In the Mao years, people were made to feel like outsiders if they didn't come from the "right" family background - this meant either the Communist Party leadership, the proletariat ruling class, or the peasant poor. Through the constant barrage of political campaigns over the years, people like me were repeatedly brainwashed into thinking we were second-class citizens. I guess this mindset became second nature to me, and stuck with me till this day.

http://www.proz.com/post/645614#645614

Besides all of that old baggage, I don't have any plans to ever leave the United States. So in that sense, I'm always going to remain an outsider from the perspective of those who live in China.

[Edited at 2009-11-04 16:24 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
时差关系 Nov 4, 2009

也感谢您帮忙回答该翻译社的疑问.我之前看到有人说因为时差的关系她一年之内把所有客户都弄丢了,看来并不是不无道理的.在美国的时候,我都能第一时间回答他们的问题,可是现在要让他们等到第二天了. 难怪翻译社都偏好同时区的翻译.而且近来我的工作时间都改到傍晚了.

没什么,当时我知道你那里时间已经很晚了,而且客户的问题只是关于文件最后的日期“民国九十八年六月二日”,我就顺手答复了。通常,translator 和 editor 都有责任尽快答复客户的问题,但应同时抄送给另一方。这样的话,万一某一方答错时,另一方可及时纠正。

使用同时区的翻译确实比较方便,但翻译社不一定都偏好同时区的翻译。例如,美国的翻译社也可能用中国的翻译,欧洲的翻译社也可能用美国的翻译,甚至中国也有到欧美找翻译的。主要还是取决于价格、翻译质量、交稿时间紧迫性等各种因素。不过,总的说来,翻译社都喜欢能在第一时间回答他们问题的翻译。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
海归 Nov 4, 2009

Steve,

如果 PRC 建国初期政府能像对待钱学森一样对待每一个海归,恐怕中国现在已经是世界第一强国! 有趣的是,1948年钱学森曾邀请钱伟长来美国喷射推进研究所参加火箭研究,结果美国政府拒绝给钱伟长发签证。可是钱伟长在中国也与火箭研究无缘,也被“拒签”。真是里外难做人。;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chien_Wei-zang
(包括中文版)

BTW, 我还记得你提起过,钱学森的夫人蒋英是你母亲在中央音乐学院的同事。你父亲也是搞航空航天的。所以你们两家背景颇为相似。

[Edited at 2009-11-04 20:02 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
往事 Nov 4, 2009

ysun wrote:

BTW, 我还记得你提起过,钱学森的夫人蒋英是你母亲在中央音乐学院的同事。你父亲也是搞航空航天的。所以你们两家背景颇为相似。

是的. 钱学森先生带着一家回国确实启发推动了很多知识分子回国参加祖国建设, 我父母可能属于最后的一批 (57 年底). 我父亲也同样是上海交大毕业的, 不过他是学电机系无线电专业的. BTW, 几十年后我也因此选择了同样的专业.

我大概跟你提过, 听说文化革命前国内只有三台 Steinway, 其中 蒋英有一台, 我母亲有一台, 还有一台也是一家海归带回国的.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
记得 Nov 4, 2009

wherestip wrote:

是的. 钱学森先生带着一家回国确实启发推动了很多知识分子回国参加祖国建设, 我父母可能属于最后的一批 (57 年底). 我父亲也同样是上海交大毕业的, 不过他是学电机系无线电专业的. BTW, 几十年后我也因此选择了同样的专业.

我大概跟你提过, 听说文化革命前国内只有三台 Steinway, 其中 蒋英有一台, 我母亲有一台, 还有一台也是一家海归带回国的.

你是子承父业。现在看来,你父母回国稍微晚一点也许还是件好事。

我记得你说过,那台 Steinway 后来在文革期间被一个很红的钢琴家‘拿’走了。我猜也许就是拿去用于《钢琴伴唱红灯记》了。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
政治运动 Nov 4, 2009

ysun wrote:

你是子承父业。现在看来,你父母回国稍微晚一点也许还是件好事。

我记得你说过,那台 Steinway 后来在文革期间被一个很红的钢琴家‘拿’走了。我猜也许就是拿去用于《钢琴伴唱红灯记》了。

是 "借" 走用于练习 《红灯记》 和 《黄河钢琴协奏曲》 等. 演出倒没用, 因为我母亲的钢琴只是个 baby grand. 后来索性由中央音乐学院(也可能是中央乐团, 我是记不清了) 出面申报了一笔款买了去, 据说是按当时某某级领导可行使批准权限来决定款额的 -- 再多就又要更高一级批准 不过那已经是七十年代后期的事了.

回去得晚好处就是没遇上 "反右". 父亲有一次感叹道, 幸亏母亲没有活到文化革命.

[Edited at 2009-11-04 22:26 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
就是这个意思 Nov 4, 2009

wherestip wrote:

ysun wrote:

现在看来,你父母回国稍微晚一点也许还是件好事。

回去得晚好处就是没遇上 "反右".

我上面说你父母回国稍微晚一点也许还是件好事,就是这个意思。

无论如何,你母亲和她的钢琴为培养新艺术家和创作新作品作出了不可磨灭的贡献。你父亲以及其他许许多多的归国学者也是一样。 我的一个亲戚是1963年从北航毕业的。应该说,他也是你父亲的学生。 当时他用的很多教科书都是外文的,因为中国的教科书还没编出来。 后来他成了三线一个军工厂的厂长。 我刚到北京上大学时,他带我在北航校园里转了一大圈。 我家与北航有缘。我大儿子是北航附中毕业的。:)

[Edited at 2009-11-04 22:40 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

难翻的词 (The English words that are very difficult to translate into Chinese)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »