Thread poster: Ilza Lima
Ilza Lima
Ilza Lima  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 29, 2018

Hi everyone,

For the past 5 years I have worked as a dedicated translator for a company (and taking some small projects on the side). Since I did not need to use any of the CAT Tools, I am now in need of advice as to what are the most requested/popular CAT Tools.

I have used Wordfast in the past.

Any comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
subjective Jun 29, 2018

1) What file types you are mostly* working with?
2) What about online solution and the NDA?
3) How much is your budget?
4) Other requrements and preferences
... See more
1) What file types you are mostly* working with?
2) What about online solution and the NDA?
3) How much is your budget?
4) Other requrements and preferences?

ILza, if you're working in MS Word and Excel, then a familiar interface goes nicely with WordFast Classic, WordFisher, and other add-ons.

If you need an offline tool and don't mind a specific IDE, then why not check YouTube, starting from free and trial versions?

If you know what you're doing and have a broad internet connection, then online (web-based; cloud) CATs should do.

Cheers
Collapse

Ilza Lima

Armine Abelyan
Armine Abelyan
Armenia
Local time: 22:25
English to Armenian
+ ...
Wordfast/memsource/SDL Jun 30, 2018

1.Wordfast
2. SDL
3. Memsource

Depending what is required by your client.
Mostly, the customers require SDL Trados but you never know when you will use that.

Ilza Lima

Ilza Lima
Ilza Lima  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CAT Tools Jun 30, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I believe I will continue with Wordfast. I have never used online solutions before.

Enjoy your weekend!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT Tools query

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »