John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:45
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 3, 2015

I have been asked by an agency to consider using their Wordbee CAT portal. As a rule, I prefer to work on my own computer in memoQ, where I have all my TMs, TBs, Muses, settings, etc. Can anyone with experience using the Wordbee CAT platform relate how you found it? Is it possible to work together with CAT software such as memoQ by downloading/uploading a Xliff file?

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 06:45
English to Chinese
Wordbee has limited capabilities Feb 3, 2015

Hi John,

I have a client who uses the Wordbee system and asked me to complete the translation assignments in Wordbee. I found this CAT tool very primitive, with only a few basic features. Fortunately you can download the file/package and use your own CAT tool to complete the task.
It's been a while since I worked with Wordbee, so I can't remember the steps to do this. Another thing I do remember is Wordbee files are very taggy, which makes a job more difficult.

Chunyi

John Fossey wrote:

I have been asked by an agency to consider using their Wordbee CAT portal. As a rule, I prefer to work on my own computer in memoQ, where I have all my TMs, TBs, Muses, settings, etc. Can anyone with experience using the Wordbee CAT platform relate how you found it? Is it possible to work together with CAT software such as memoQ by downloading/uploading a Xliff file?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:45
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@John Feb 4, 2015

John Fossey wrote:
Is it possible to work together with CAT software such as memoQ by downloading/uploading a Xliff file?

Yes, you can download and upload the translation files as XLIFF (depending on how your client set up your permissions). You may have to spend some time in the online system, however, doing e.g. the QA checks. Also, while you can download all files at once, you can only upload one file at a time. AFAIK you can't download TMs and glossaries.

dennise
dennise
Moldova
Local time: 15:45
English to Russian
+ ...
The worst modern CAT tool Oct 17, 2017

In fact I don't need any assitance. It's the tool that needs it A LOT.

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:45
German to English
+ ...
Meh, it's compatible with other software and gets the job done Oct 17, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

John Fossey wrote:
Is it possible to work together with CAT software such as memoQ by downloading/uploading a Xliff file?

Yes, you can download and upload the translation files as XLIFF (depending on how your client set up your permissions). You may have to spend some time in the online system, however, doing e.g. the QA checks. Also, while you can download all files at once, you can only upload one file at a time. AFAIK you can't download TMs and glossaries.

You CAN download TMs and glossaries but only if the client or whoever it was that created the project sets it up this way. In the past I have asked clients to send me TMs in TMX format and they have been able to do this from Wordbee, so there is compatibility there, too.

I don't personally find Wordbee that much of a chore. You can customise the keyboard shortcuts so that makes it a little more user friendly. I don't like using it for large jobs or urgent jobs but in those cases I simply download the XLIFF and work in my own CAT software. The QA checks do not take a long time and are easy to navigate, so again, I wouldn't consider that to be a huge chore. Although speed and performance, I imagine, will also depend on the client's server and not necessarily Wordbee on its own.

Simply put, it's not the perfect tool but you can work with it or use the compatibility features without too many headaches. At least that has been my experience.

Mike Tung

Sanja_FR
Sanja_FR
France
Member (2023)
English to French
Yet another useless online CAT tool Sep 10, 2020

I could list all the reasons why this tool is useless, but I think it's enough to say that there is no way to quickly and easily look for a term in the TM. I thought it was obvious for everyone that this is one of the main features of CAT tools. This should be a clearly visible window, and the function should be accessible with 1 shortcut or possibly one click, but that's all. Ergonomy, guys, do you know what this means ? I'm sorry but this makes this tool unusable in a professional context.
... See more
I could list all the reasons why this tool is useless, but I think it's enough to say that there is no way to quickly and easily look for a term in the TM. I thought it was obvious for everyone that this is one of the main features of CAT tools. This should be a clearly visible window, and the function should be accessible with 1 shortcut or possibly one click, but that's all. Ergonomy, guys, do you know what this means ? I'm sorry but this makes this tool unusable in a professional context.

In short: this tool is among those that will waste your time. Don't bother if you have a choice.
Collapse

Wojciech Sztukowski
dennise

Wojciech Sztukowski
Wojciech Sztukowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
I'm sick of this nonsense Nov 12, 2020

It's constantly jumping, moving, leaping, inserting random characters. Enough! Wordbee team, if you can't program a browser app, please spare the world some trouble and DO NOT DO IT.

[Edited at 2020-11-12 15:03 GMT]

dennise
KASPARS KIRSFELDS

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opinions on Wordbee CAT function

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »