Thread poster: TvNellen (X)
TvNellen (X)
TvNellen (X)
United States
Local time: 06:34
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 3, 2012

Sdltm is one of SDL's ways to make it difficult for users of other CAT tools than Trados Studio to work for clients who use Studio. For those of you who do not believe interoperability is a dirty word, I wrote a script that converts sdltm to tmx. It can be downloaded here.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:34
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
SDL offers 2 solutions Oct 3, 2012

I am not so sure that SDL is trying to make things difficult for us. They do at least offer 2 free solutions for this problem.

SDLTMExport
See more
I am not so sure that SDL is trying to make things difficult for us. They do at least offer 2 free solutions for this problem.

SDLTMExport
http://www.translationzone.com/de/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=244

SDLTmExport
http://www.translationzone.com/de/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=90
Collapse

TvNellen (X)
TvNellen (X)
United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What if you don't have Trados Studio? Oct 3, 2012

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

SDLTMExport
http://www.translationzone.com/de/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=244

SDLTmExport
http://www.translationzone.com/de/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=90

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need to have Trados Studio installed for those solutions to work?

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TMX Oct 3, 2012

And of course Studio will export TMs to TMX, i.e. the person who is sending you sdltms might as well export them and send a TMX instead.
That said, if you don't have Studio and you're sent an sdltm by someone who can't be prevailed upon to send a TMX instead, then a tool like this could come in handy.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
The path of least effort Oct 3, 2012

and passing on as much work to the translator is taken by some clients, and that is why translators will sometimes be sent files that they cannot handle.

Regards,

Piotr

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:34
Finnish to French
More info about script Oct 13, 2012

TvNellen wrote:
Sdltm is one of SDL's ways to make it difficult for users of other CAT tools than Trados Studio to work for clients who use Studio. For those of you who do not believe interoperability is a dirty word, I wrote a script that converts sdltm to tmx. It can be downloaded here.

Thanks for your script! I'm currently testing it with a Studio 2009 SDLTM that contains 70,000 units. The script has been running for about 35 minutes, gobbling up about 300 MB of my RAM (not a problem, since I have 8 GB installed) and 45-50% of my CPU cycles, as can been seen from the following snapshot taken from Task Manager:

I think you should include a note about the fact that: 1) the converted TMX will be copied to the same folder as the SDLTM (I expected it would be created in the same folder as the script), 2) the process is going to take a significant amount of time (compared to exporting a similar TM as TMX from a CAT tool). When I first dropped the SDLTM on the script and nothing happened, I just dropped it a second time. Only then did I notice I had two instances of vscript.exe running in Task Manager . You may also want to add a note about that.

I'll report about my findings once the exported TMX is ready. I've also exported the SDLTM as TMX in Studio, so I'll import both TMX in memoQ and report about that too.

TvNellen (X)
TvNellen (X)
United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your input Oct 13, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

TvNellen wrote:

Thanks for your script! I'm currently testing it with a Studio 2009 SDLTM that contains 70,000 units. The script has been running for about 35 minutes, gobbling up about 300 MB of my RAM (not a problem, since I have 8 GB installed) and 45-50% of my CPU cycles, as can been seen from the following snapshot taken from Task Manager:

I think you should include a note about the fact that: 1) the converted TMX will be copied to the same folder as the SDLTM (I expected it would be created in the same folder as the script), 2) the process is going to take a significant amount of time (compared to exporting a similar TM as TMX from a CAT tool). When I first dropped the SDLTM on the script and nothing happened, I just dropped it a second time. Only then did I notice I had two instances of vscript.exe running in Task Manager . You may also want to add a note about that.

I'll report about my findings once the exported TMX is ready. I've also exported the SDLTM as TMX in Studio, so I'll import both TMX in memoQ and report about that too.

Hi Dominique,

Those are valid points, I'll add some more info to the web page. I think the low speed has to do with the fact that this is a script, not a compiled program. The biggest file that I tested was 21 MB and that took around 5 minutes. Ideally there should be a progress bar, maybe I'll implement that in the future. As for the target folder, I think the same folder as the source file makes the most sense, but feel free to adapt the script to your preferences. I look forward to hearing about your results!

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Follow-up on conversion script Oct 14, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

OK, the script did eventually complete the job ... after 3 hours 50 minutes. However, I was only able to import 262 units in memoQ. Same with Olifant. OTOH, the TMX exported from Studio 2011 imported fine in memoQ: 68961 units out of 69168. Those 262 units from the TMX exported with Thomas' script that imported successfully in memoQ looked fine, just like those imported from the TMX created with Studio 2011.

In case Thomas wants to have a look at the SDLTM, it's available here

http://goo.gl/tgG2N (33 MB download).

This fi-en TM has nothing confidential: it was created from two TMX publicly available on the web site of the Finnish Prime Minister's office at http://vnk.fi/toiminta/kielipalvelut/sanastot/fi.jsp (links to the downloadable TM's are at the very bottom of that page).

TvNellen (X)
TvNellen (X)
United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem fixed Oct 14, 2012

I put an updated version on my website that should work better.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Thanks for fixing the script! Oct 15, 2012

TvNellen wrote:
I put an updated version on my website that should work better.

Thanks for the updated script! I'll test it as soon as I get a chance and report about my findings.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Video available Oct 16, 2012

I made a video showing how Thomas' scripts works in practice:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/10/16/convert-sdltm-from-sdl-trados-studio-to-tmx-without-studio/
or
http://youtu.be/WXZ5IwM8O2I?hd=1

T
... See more
I made a video showing how Thomas' scripts works in practice:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/10/16/convert-sdltm-from-sdl-trados-studio-to-tmx-without-studio/
or
http://youtu.be/WXZ5IwM8O2I?hd=1

This is the first in a series of three videos about translating Studio packages in memoQ:

2nd video: convert SDLTM to Excel, import in memoQ term base
3rd video: import SDLXLIFF in memoQ, translate in memoQ with TM & TB imported from Studio
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:34
English to Turkish
+ ...
I killed the process Oct 18, 2012

Hi Thomas,

I tested the script on my XP machine with only 2 GB RAM, tried to convert a 70 MB SDLTM and then some small SDLXLIFF files created by Studio 2009. I gave up converting the SDLTM after 30 minutes but I now see that I should wait more for the conversion.

But I was surprised as the script failed to convert SDLXLIFF files, does it support both 2009 and 2011 versions? I tried to convert the file in the Target language folder.

Selcuk

TvNellen (X)
TvNellen (X)
United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Script doesn't convert SDLXLIFF Oct 18, 2012

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Hi Thomas,

I tested the script on my XP machine with only 2 GB RAM, tried to convert a 70 MB SDLTM and then some small SDLXLIFF files created by Studio 2009. I gave up converting the SDLTM after 30 minutes but I now see that I should wait more for the conversion.

But I was surprised as the script failed to convert SDLXLIFF files, does it support both 2009 and 2011 versions? I tried to convert the file in the Target language folder.

Selcuk

Hi Selcuk,

Thanks for testing the script. 70 MB is very large so that will take several hours. Unfortunately coding a progress bar in VBS is a non-trivial thing so it will have to wait.

What exactly did you expect to happen to the SDLXLIFF files? The script doesn't exactly convert SDLXLIFF, it merely signs off segments, which is unnecessary if the files were translated (and all segments confirmed) in memoQ 6.0.55 or later.

Regards,
Thomas

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:34
English to Turkish
+ ...
misunderstanding Oct 18, 2012

Hello Thomas,

I thought the script was used to create a TMX file from both SDLTM and SDLXLIFF files. Thanks for the clarification.

Selcuk

MichaelDD
MichaelDD
Belgium
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hi TS Aug 14, 2013

Do you think you could re-post a link to your script? It doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Script for converting Trados Studio TMs available for testing

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »