Source and target have to be the first 2 columns in glossaries?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Jun 17, 2018

In the past, there was a setting in Preferences to indicate that glossaries were read from LTR, RTL or in both directions. After the introduction of the multi-lingual glossaries, this setting seems to have disappeared.

I've done some testing and to my astonishment, the source has to be the first column of the glossary and the target has to be the second. It's obviously not enough to specify the language code in the first row.

So this glossary:

a

Cannot be used for it-ja, whereas this, rearranged, glossary can:

b

Like in this project:

c

Is it really impossible to specify the first or the second column as the source and the third as the target (etc.), while at the same time be able to use auto-assembling?

[Edited at 2018-06-17 12:15 GMT]

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:40
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Isn't it automatic? Jun 17, 2018

Hi Hans,

I did some testing yesterday with exactly the same three languages in the glossary, and CT displays (from left to right) the source terms, the target terms and then the third language terms depending on the current project's language pair direction. Thst is, CT sets the language order automatically.

I will do some more tests today or tomorrow to confirm this.

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:40
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Automatic Jun 18, 2018

It chooses the correct language automatically. However, if you edit your glossaries in another editor, please make sure that language codes in the first row are preceded via the hash symbol (e.g. #en-US #it-IT etc.)

Hans Lenting

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source and target have to be the first 2 columns in glossaries?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »