Thread poster: Daniel Jeory
María C Turri
María C Turri  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:02
Member (2019)
English to Spanish
Not so much in specialized translation Sep 25, 2020

I have seen this trend in technical translations. Yesterday a client I've had for years just stated most of their clients have switched to MT and posediting tasks and asked if I provided those services. I do, but since I have LOTS of work in my areas of specialization at the moment (medical, pharma and educational content), I said no. My suggestion would be to specialize more if you're having that problem.

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
Local time: 16:02
German to English
Translators are replaceable Sep 29, 2020

I work in an in-house job and it is quite interesting to see how defensive most translators are regarding the use of machine translation. Unfortunately, most translators overestimate how important their work is and seem to think that they are irreplaceable. They're not. Given the obvious advantages of machine translation (speed and low cost), translators will have to accept that they might not be able to do the same job their entire working life. And who would want to do that anyway?

Jorge Payan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Less work in era of Machine Translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »