Freelance foreigners in Spain
Thread poster: Laurie Price
Laurie Price
Laurie Price  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 12, 2011

I wonder if anyone else here has received the most godawful letter from the government denying the renewal of their work permits?

Please feel free to contact me privately if you have.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Open borders Sep 12, 2011

If you're an EU citizen you don't need a work permit.

"Spain announced that it will be opening its borders for workers from all EU countries in spring 2006. Therefore, as of that date, if you are an EU national you will not need a work permit to work in Spain"

Ref. http://www.workpermit.com/spain/spain.htm

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:35
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not everyone's an EU citizen though Sep 12, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

I'm pretty sure the person posting the question is American.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ahimé Sep 12, 2011

Steven Capsuto wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

I'm pretty sure the person posting the question is American.

ah - she didn't specify.

Laurie Price
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I'm American ... Sep 12, 2011

have lived in Spain more than 8 years -- managed to eventually get a residence & work permit based on "arraigo" -- proving that I'd been in the country for 5 years without leaving & having a work contract --
that company closed down & I had no choice but to become autonoma, since finding contracts here is not exactly easy ...

There are mitigating circumstances, etc., but what I really wanted to know was if anyone else has had their work permit denied -- which thereby denies re
... See more
have lived in Spain more than 8 years -- managed to eventually get a residence & work permit based on "arraigo" -- proving that I'd been in the country for 5 years without leaving & having a work contract --
that company closed down & I had no choice but to become autonoma, since finding contracts here is not exactly easy ...

There are mitigating circumstances, etc., but what I really wanted to know was if anyone else has had their work permit denied -- which thereby denies residency & strips me of my rights (so I was told at the Colegio de Abogados ...) --

I would really like to hear from anyone who is in a similar spot -- it was announced in the newspaper IDEAL that 68% in Spain, total, have been denied the renewal, and here in Granada 63% -- that's a pretty big number.

To read more, for those of you who read Spanish, go here:

http://www.ideal.es/granada/v/20110910/granada/permisos-trabajo-extranjeros-granada-20110910.htm
Collapse

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
What grounds? Sep 12, 2011

I though they had to give you the reason why it was denied.

Rachel Freeman
Rachel Freeman  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tough times in Spain Sep 13, 2011

You're not the only one. I'm American too, my husband's Spanish though so they can't get rid of me so easily (insert evil laughter here).

In the past year or so, however, two of my American friends have had their work permits denied. One girl has been here for five years and never had a problem before, she was working for a school that sponsered her but this year her application was rejected with no reason given. Another woman, who has been here since 1987, had problems with her pa
... See more
You're not the only one. I'm American too, my husband's Spanish though so they can't get rid of me so easily (insert evil laughter here).

In the past year or so, however, two of my American friends have had their work permits denied. One girl has been here for five years and never had a problem before, she was working for a school that sponsered her but this year her application was rejected with no reason given. Another woman, who has been here since 1987, had problems with her paperwork this year and finally got it straightened out, but now she can't leave Spain for the next year.

The fact is Spain has very high levels of unemployment and they don't want anyone here who could possibly take a job away from a Spaniard. Of course when it comes to translation I can't imagine what jobs we would be taking away from Spaniards.

The point is with the economy the way it is, they know they can't discriminate against EU citizens without dire consequences so while in the past they might have been more accomodating to us, I suspect now that the unofficial policy is to try to get rid of us, even those who are working legally and contributing to society. It's unfortunate, but in bad economic times this is they way it goes.

My suggestion would be to try to get another school to hire you part time and sponser you. It may not work, but it's worth a shot.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
same here Sep 13, 2011

I hear the US government isn't any kinder to non-US citizens working there.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Question Sep 13, 2011

Can they boot out someone religiously paying SS? I'm aware there's something of a "cotizaciones" requirement (días cotizados), but if you've been seamless in SS, I don't get it.

I plumped and got dual nationality after they tried to put me through another gruelling year of queues (should've gotten five years and they gave one), and the "trámite" pushed through before the next queue (another round of evil laughter). Anyway, grandpa was Catalonian...
See more
Can they boot out someone religiously paying SS? I'm aware there's something of a "cotizaciones" requirement (días cotizados), but if you've been seamless in SS, I don't get it.

I plumped and got dual nationality after they tried to put me through another gruelling year of queues (should've gotten five years and they gave one), and the "trámite" pushed through before the next queue (another round of evil laughter). Anyway, grandpa was Catalonian
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
dual nationality Sep 13, 2011

Parrot wrote:

I plumped and got dual nationality

Lucky you. In an effort to avoid all the trámites as a resident and having to carry out around the famous green paper instead of an ID card, I also tried, but was told I couldn't get dual nationality because I'm British and I'd have to forfeit my British nationality. When I pointed out that my children had dual nationality (also Sp/Br) they said "that's different, they were born here"

Back to topic: I know that a Latin American friend of mine has to be up to date with SS payments as an autónomo in order to renew his residence card every 5 years.

Laurie Price
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone for replying ... Sep 13, 2011

@Tom: Yes, the US is not kind to certain foreigners, legal or otherwise.

That's one of many reasons why I've chosen to live outside the US for most of the past 18 years.
That also isn't what I was asking about.
I want to know what recourse others have come up with in this specific situation.

To Emma, Parrot & Alex -- there are mitigating circumstances in my case -- & they have to do with "non-continuity" as a result of a family emergency & th
... See more
@Tom: Yes, the US is not kind to certain foreigners, legal or otherwise.

That's one of many reasons why I've chosen to live outside the US for most of the past 18 years.
That also isn't what I was asking about.
I want to know what recourse others have come up with in this specific situation.

To Emma, Parrot & Alex -- there are mitigating circumstances in my case -- & they have to do with "non-continuity" as a result of a family emergency & then death & therefore being out of the country 6 months within the past year.

Again, thanks everyone who responded -- I was hoping to hear from others in similar situations. From what I saw in the newspaper, which doesn't strictly apply to my situation, as an American some of the first 3 words that came to my head were "class action suit."

It's clear that we are living in very bad economic times according to our governments ... & that "austerity measures" aren't in favor of the various possibilities for human evolution ... but that wasn't my point either. Nonetheless I'm glad to have this community at my fingertips. Thanks all again.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
What about registering as an "autonomo"? Sep 13, 2011

Is this non-renewal solely aimed at employed positions?
EDIT: Sorry Laurie, you had answered my question earlier.
Philippe

[Edited at 2011-09-13 11:41 GMT]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Por las buenas o las malas Sep 13, 2011

I don't like pulling stops. I was then working for an academy that gave you "baja" every summer, but also starting to freelance in translation. I'm aware the bajas affected my priority rating as a resident, (although I fulfilled the 180 days required), but it would seem I needed another two years of seamless record as a self-employed freelancer to get the five years I was already entitled to by the letter of the law, even though I was working on my doctorate and couldn't really full-time. At any... See more
I don't like pulling stops. I was then working for an academy that gave you "baja" every summer, but also starting to freelance in translation. I'm aware the bajas affected my priority rating as a resident, (although I fulfilled the 180 days required), but it would seem I needed another two years of seamless record as a self-employed freelancer to get the five years I was already entitled to by the letter of the law, even though I was working on my doctorate and couldn't really full-time. At any rate, there was a pointed legal question there and I would have had to go to court. So I got fed up and just pushed the paper back "vía administrativa", for what it was worth. Anyway, I could've had dual nationality on either of two counts (by ascendencia and as a national of the former colony/vínculación histórica group). My only objection at the time was the fact that I was going to have to wait until dual nationality status was legally acknowledged on the other end.

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

"that's different, they were born here"

So mum has to queue? Jeez. As though they'd boot you out and leave the children unprotected.

But maybe your legwork also creates jobs
Collapse

Laurie Price
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
P.S. Sorry if my last post was a bit abrupt ... Sep 13, 2011

or rude -- I'm up to my neck in legal paperwork, going in circles around various gov't websites & trying to answer lots of questions from friends & acquaintances (& family) & I'm getting a bit overwhelmed. I'm not ready at this point to spend money I don't have for a lawyer, and the reason I posted to begin with was to find out if anyone's in a similar position & what they understand & what they're doing.

Again, thanks to everyone here -- I appreciate that I can contact so many so q
... See more
or rude -- I'm up to my neck in legal paperwork, going in circles around various gov't websites & trying to answer lots of questions from friends & acquaintances (& family) & I'm getting a bit overwhelmed. I'm not ready at this point to spend money I don't have for a lawyer, and the reason I posted to begin with was to find out if anyone's in a similar position & what they understand & what they're doing.

Again, thanks to everyone here -- I appreciate that I can contact so many so quickly --
Collapse

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
The m word Sep 13, 2011

May sound drastic but as a last measure resort you could always engage in a legal union between two people if you know what I mean

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelance foreigners in Spain

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »