Elis@bel
Elis@bel
Spain
Local time: 13:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 28, 2017

Hi all,

I have an updated sdlxliff (imported from a bilingual reviewed table) and now I cannot accept the changes on the locked segments in the sdlxliff, nor unlock those segments that contain tracked changes (even after disabling the tracked changes option, etc.)

None of the tips I've seen in the forums work for me. What's the problem here? How can I solve this without using the sdlxliff toolkit that would unlock all segments (which is not what I want)?

Th
... See more
Hi all,

I have an updated sdlxliff (imported from a bilingual reviewed table) and now I cannot accept the changes on the locked segments in the sdlxliff, nor unlock those segments that contain tracked changes (even after disabling the tracked changes option, etc.)

None of the tips I've seen in the forums work for me. What's the problem here? How can I solve this without using the sdlxliff toolkit that would unlock all segments (which is not what I want)?

Thanks!
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, thats' exact. Feb 28, 2017

Hello,
there are 3 ways to open a sdlxliff in the Editor: For translation, for review and for Sign-off. Only opening for translation will allow you to change the locked status to unlocked and then assign to another status, in the other 2 modes you cannot do that. To display or not display Track Changes, you can do that in the Editor menu by ticking / un-ticking a menu tab, and you can also delete track changes there. All this applies only for normal files, not for package files.

... See more
Hello,
there are 3 ways to open a sdlxliff in the Editor: For translation, for review and for Sign-off. Only opening for translation will allow you to change the locked status to unlocked and then assign to another status, in the other 2 modes you cannot do that. To display or not display Track Changes, you can do that in the Editor menu by ticking / un-ticking a menu tab, and you can also delete track changes there. All this applies only for normal files, not for package files.

For package files:
I may be wrong here because I don't work with packages, but AFAIK:
I think you cannot change the locked segment status from package files unless you have the Professional version of Studio.
Also you may not have any choice to revert or delete your tracked changes unless you have the Pro version. That's to say: Your PM wants to see what you have done...!

Greetings,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-28 14:06 GMT]
Collapse

Elis@bel
Elis@bel
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mike! Feb 28, 2017

MikeTrans wrote:

Hello,

For package files:
I may be wrong here because I don't work with packages, but AFAIK:
I think you cannot change the locked segment status from package files unless you have the Professional version of Studio.
Also you may not have any choice to revert or delete your tracked changes unless you have the Pro version. That's to say: Your PM wants to see what you have done...!

Greetings,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-28 14:06 GMT]

However I opened the file in all 3 ways (for Translation, for Review and for Sign-off) but none of them work, I still cannot unlock the segments with tracked changes, only those without tracked changes. And I still cannot accept the changes because Studio warns about the segment being locked, so I'm really stuck here...

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

[Editado a las 2017-03-01 09:04 GMT]

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
I may not put all points on my i, but... Feb 28, 2017

...but I think I have been clear, and you should be able to guess the procedure by yourself. Here the points on the i:
- open your file for 'Translation' - and as said: only for translation;
- Filter all locked segments
- chose them all manually by clicking the first and last segment numbers and holding SHIIFT (the screen will turn yellow);
- With a right-mouse click chose 'Unlock'.

Done.

Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-28 21:06 GMT]

Elis@bel
Elis@bel
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I know how to unlock segments... Mar 1, 2017

MikeTrans wrote:

...but I think I have been clear, and you should be able to guess the procedure by yourself. Here the points on the i:
- open your file for 'Translation' - and as said: only for translation;
- Filter all locked segments
- chose them all manually by clicking the first and last segment numbers and holding SHIIFT (the screen will turn yellow);
- With a right-mouse click chose 'Unlock'.

Done.

Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-28 21:06 GMT]

But as I mentioned in my post, it still doesn't work, no matter the way I open the file (and yes, I also opened it only "For Translation"), the unlock option is grayed out and not available for those segments containing track changes (it is available for the rest of locked segments without track changes thou).

I also think I made the problem clear ("I cannot accept the changes on the locked segments in the sdlxliff, nor unlock those segments that contain tracked changes"), but thanks anyway...

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Ok WENCESLA, I did a test... Mar 1, 2017

...with Studio 2017 and opened a test document of mine. I go in a translated segment that I could lock, then I activate Tracked Changes. When I modify the segment the changes will be displayed (I think as long as it's a MS Office document). From there on I cannot lock the segment any longer. Reason unknown to me. I see no sense in this system, maybe a bug or maybe it's by design, you must ask SDL.

[EDIT]
For doing what you want, save your doc and re-open in Review mode, go in
... See more
...with Studio 2017 and opened a test document of mine. I go in a translated segment that I could lock, then I activate Tracked Changes. When I modify the segment the changes will be displayed (I think as long as it's a MS Office document). From there on I cannot lock the segment any longer. Reason unknown to me. I see no sense in this system, maybe a bug or maybe it's by design, you must ask SDL.

[EDIT]
For doing what you want, save your doc and re-open in Review mode, go in Track Changes and click on 'Accept all changes'. Save. If you re-open in Translation mode you should now be able to lock/unlock these segments.
Another possible workaround is to re-import your document once your TM is updated, and then you should be able to change the segment status to your liking. If it doesn't work with your current TM you will have to update into a newly created TM. No guarantee that this will work however.

Mike

[Edited at 2017-03-01 15:55 GMT]
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:00
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Segment locking and tracked changes Mar 1, 2017

MikeTrans wrote:

...with Studio 2017 and opened a test document of mine. I go in a translated segment that I could lock, then I activate Tracked Changes. When I modify the segment the changes will be displayed (I think as long as it's a MS Office document). From there on I cannot lock the segment any longer. Reason unknown to me.

This is by design, I believe since Studio 2014 SP2 the standard behavior was changed and Studio no longer allows locking/unlocking when tracked changes is on. An idea has been submitted to change this. You can vote for the idea here: https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/translation-productivity-ideas/i/trados-studio-ideas/allow-unlockinglocking-segments-when-track-changes-is-on

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
More details Mar 1, 2017

WENCESLA wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks!

Were the segments locked prior to the update from bilingual review task? If so, were the changes applied to the locked segments? Just trying to understand the workflow, as locked segments are left untouched during this task in my experience, i.e., changes are not applied to locked segments.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
I now see that this makes sense... Mar 1, 2017

Nora Diaz wrote:

This is by design, I believe since Studio 2014 SP2 the standard behavior was changed and Studio no longer allows locking/unlocking when tracked changes is on. (...)

Hello Nora,
thanks for the confirmation. I think that SDL wants 'locked segments' to generally be of very high translation quality, especially if people are exchanging SDLXLIFF files (for example sent by a project manager). So I think SDL wants to make sure that these locked segments are at least revised when there are tracked changes. Once these changes are accepted (in Review/Sign-off mode) then the status of non-package files can again be changed. All this now makes sense to me.

Greetings,
Mike

Elis@bel
Elis@bel
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nora Mar 1, 2017

Nora Diaz wrote:

MikeTrans wrote:

...with Studio 2017 and opened a test document of mine. I go in a translated segment that I could lock, then I activate Tracked Changes. When I modify the segment the changes will be displayed (I think as long as it's a MS Office document). From there on I cannot lock the segment any longer. Reason unknown to me.

This is by design, I believe since Studio 2014 SP2 the standard behavior was changed and Studio no longer allows locking/unlocking when tracked changes is on. An idea has been submitted to change this. You can vote for the idea here: https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/translation-productivity-ideas/i/trados-studio-ideas/allow-unlockinglocking-segments-when-track-changes-is-on

I had already seen that too but it doesn't work with my file either. That works with locked segments when the track changes options is enable. You have to disable track changes in order to be able to unlock the segment, but that doesn't work with locked segments actually containing tracked changes (not only the track changes option on).

As I mentioned, I have already checked all the information I could fine in the Web but none of them apply to my case, unfortunately. The only way in my case would be using the sdlxliff toolkit to unlock all segments (with or without track changes) but I was hoping to be able to unlock only the ones that I want...

Now I'm trying to understand how, if the file was pretranslated and locked first, and then sent to the linguist, how could the linguist change it using track changes (if he unlocked it first, changed it and locked it again, which supposedly could not be done...)

I'll keep on investigating. Thanks very much anyway!

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Update from bilingual review vs Retrofit Mar 1, 2017

From your initial post I assumed the Update from Bilingual Review batch task had been used, but if you didn't do the update yourself and only got the updated SDLXLIFF from the translator, could the translator have used the Update from Retrofit task instead? This is known to cause this issue and unfo... See more
From your initial post I assumed the Update from Bilingual Review batch task had been used, but if you didn't do the update yourself and only got the updated SDLXLIFF from the translator, could the translator have used the Update from Retrofit task instead? This is known to cause this issue and unfortunately there's no workaround. See here: https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/8158#pi6614filter=all&pi6614scroll=falseCollapse

Elis@bel
Elis@bel
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I had also seen that post :-) Mar 1, 2017

But no, retrofit was not used, only the sdlxliff converter for Microsoft or in any case the update from external review task in Studio, as this was done internally and those are the ways we use...

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
@WENCESLA, Mar 2, 2017

just to be sure that you didn't oversee it: Did you try my workaround in my post above after "[EDIT]" ? This may work in your case.

Mike

Elis@bel
Elis@bel
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I'm afraid I tried everything... Mar 2, 2017

MikeTrans wrote:

just to be sure that you didn't oversee it: Did you try my workaround in my post above after "[EDIT]" ? This may work in your case.

Mike

I believe that, apart from the "feature" of non-allowing to unlock segments with track changes option enabled, there is also a bug that allows to edit and insert tracked changes in a locked segment (during bilingual table review at least) but does not allow to accept those changes nor unlock afterwards...

I have also posted it here: https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/p/10586/40570#40570

Thank you both for your help!

Elis@bel
Elis@bel
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just an update... Mar 6, 2017

I have noticed this happens only with the external App "SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office" but not when using the Batch Task. The Batch Task will highlight the locked segments as gray in the bilingual table and won't import any changes made in those locked segments into the sdlxliff.

Good to know at least...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I cannot accept the changes on the locked segments in Studio

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »