How to best view a Trados Studio Analysis report file in XML format ?
Thread poster: raimundo4u
raimundo4u
raimundo4u
English
Sep 20, 2016

Hi everyone,

I received a Trados Studio Analysis file from a customer of mine.
Usually I receive Analysis report files as Excel files, but this time they sent me an XML file.
As you know, XML files are not meant for 'the human eye', rather they are primarily used as input for (other) software.

I googled a bit and found this free website that takes my Trados XML file as input and shows it in a readable format.
... See more
Hi everyone,

I received a Trados Studio Analysis file from a customer of mine.
Usually I receive Analysis report files as Excel files, but this time they sent me an XML file.
As you know, XML files are not meant for 'the human eye', rather they are primarily used as input for (other) software.

I googled a bit and found this free website that takes my Trados XML file as input and shows it in a readable format.
http://www.lsp.net/cat-online-weighting.php

I'm good for now, but I was wondering how you handle such XML analysis files?
Is it possible to import them directly in Studio for viewing or do you perhaps use another stand-alone software to comfortably view them?

Kind regards
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:55
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Excel Sep 21, 2016

I am not familiar with that tool you refer to, and it didn't work for the xml that I tried.

When Studio analyses a project, the analysis xml's is/are stored in the project subfolder named "reports."
Xml files can be opened with Excel (right-click and choose open with...) "as xml table" (this is preselected under "select how you would like to open this file"), just click OK. Let excel create a table based on the xml source data.

This might not be the easiest displ
... See more
I am not familiar with that tool you refer to, and it didn't work for the xml that I tried.

When Studio analyses a project, the analysis xml's is/are stored in the project subfolder named "reports."
Xml files can be opened with Excel (right-click and choose open with...) "as xml table" (this is preselected under "select how you would like to open this file"), just click OK. Let excel create a table based on the xml source data.

This might not be the easiest display, but I think it works.
Collapse

raimundo4u
raimundo4u
English
TOPIC STARTER
XML in Excel Sep 21, 2016

Lianne van de Ven wrote:
..Let excel create a table based on the xml source data.

Hi Lianne,
I already tried that and Excel indeed does its best to format and show the table but it is not really practical/useable.
One would expect that Studio itself can import, format and display its own generated XML file ...

Thanks a lot for your suggestion though!

Kind regards

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:55
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TO3000 Sep 21, 2016

I use Studio xml reports in TO3000.
However, it's not 100% compatible, as I mentioned in blog post I wrote on this topic:
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2015/03/13/to3000-quote/

raimundo4u
raimundo4u
English
TOPIC STARTER
XML Analysis files Sep 21, 2016

Emma, thanks for your reply.
I will have a look at TO3000. Too bad though it is not 100% compatible with the Studio Analysis files.

BTW. It was your blog that led me to the 'CAT weighting tool' yesterday ..
Thank you!

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:55
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Learned something new Sep 21, 2016

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I use Studio xml reports in TO3000.
However, it's not 100% compatible, as I mentioned in blog post I wrote on this topic:
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2015/03/13/to3000-quote/

Since I also use TO3000, I am going to check this out. Thanks for your reply, Emma.

raimundo4u
raimundo4u
English
TOPIC STARTER
Import XML into TO3000 Sep 22, 2016

Lianne van de Ven wrote:
Since I also use TO3000, I am going to check this out. Thanks for your reply, Emma.

Hi Lianne,
Just wondering if your test with TO3000 importing Studio XML analysis file was succesful ...

zgora14
zgora14
Copy xml to Reports folder of some other project and change filename Jul 26, 2017

Hi,

When I'm getting analysis(1) in xml format from SDL Studio, I create some new project (or I take one existing) and make analyse. Next, I go to the Reprots folder of my project. There is the xml file with analyse(2) I made. So I copy file(1) to the folder, remove file(2) and change file(1) name to name of file(2). In this new project Studio shows the analyse I got(1).

I know, it may seem stupid but it works ...
See more
Hi,

When I'm getting analysis(1) in xml format from SDL Studio, I create some new project (or I take one existing) and make analyse. Next, I go to the Reprots folder of my project. There is the xml file with analyse(2) I made. So I copy file(1) to the folder, remove file(2) and change file(1) name to name of file(2). In this new project Studio shows the analyse I got(1).

I know, it may seem stupid but it works

[Zmieniono 2017-07-26 11:43 GMT]
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
As long as it works, it is not stupid in my oppinion Jul 26, 2017

zgora14 wrote:

I know, it may seem stupid but it works

[Zmieniono 2017-07-26 11:43 GMT]

What seems stupid to me is that the PM sent you an xml report in the first place rather than an Excel or html report.

Roy

Petro Dudi
Petro Dudi
Local time: 01:55
English to Greek
+ ...
Free tool for reading Trados Studio XML Analysis Reports Dec 21, 2017

Hello all,

I've created a free tool to view quickly and easily such XML files. Trados Studio is not required for this process. An added bonus is the ability to view these files from within SDLPPX files, too.

You can download
... See more
Hello all,

I've created a free tool to view quickly and easily such XML files. Trados Studio is not required for this process. An added bonus is the ability to view these files from within SDLPPX files, too.

You can download and read more about this tool here: http://www.translators-tech-help.com/post/trados-studio-xml-analysis-report-viewer/

Hopefully, this will help a lot of colleagues out there.

Best,
Petro
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to best view a Trados Studio Analysis report file in XML format ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »