Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Severe bug: The context list is null. Could not get the last child.
Thread poster: EnglishandForm
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:38
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Since this thread has been brought back to life... Apr 29, 2015

... I wanted to add that ever since this first happened to me, whenever I am dealing with an OCR document, the first thing I do before I start translating is attempt to save TARGET AS (blank target segments) to make sure the word document will save correctly.

Mpoma
Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:38
French to English
Dreadful software Dec 19, 2015

God what rubbish. SDL 2014.

Encountered this error for the first time today... followed the advice about the settings for treatment of Hypertext links, etc. Also tried with a converted Word file. Neither worked.

The formatting of my PDF document is pretty complex, and I suspect this is one origin of the problem. The other being the cr\@pware known as Microsoft software products, and the more recent the cr\@apper it is, IMHO.

What is spectactularly am
... See more
God what rubbish. SDL 2014.

Encountered this error for the first time today... followed the advice about the settings for treatment of Hypertext links, etc. Also tried with a converted Word file. Neither worked.

The formatting of my PDF document is pretty complex, and I suspect this is one origin of the problem. The other being the cr\@pware known as Microsoft software products, and the more recent the cr\@apper it is, IMHO.

What is spectactularly amateurish in the SDL product is that the target generation module, when it "flicks up", can't even tell you the number(s) of the problem segment(s). In my case I could see the generation progress bar getting hesitant around 91%... then it managed to reach 95% ... and then errors appeared.

NB Jeff Whittaker's suggestion about doing a test generation is very sound advice, which I shall henceforth follow systematically

ALTERNATIVE WORKAROUND which may be useful

For anyone tearing out what remains of any hair they may have, and not having found a solution in this thread, I suggest the following:

1) Use Word to convert to the earlier ".doc" format of Word.

Optionally use this procedure:*
1a) Select the whole text of this file
1b) Go Format --> Font --> Character spacing (NB these commands are from Word 2000; there is no doubt a way to do this in the abysmal Word 2013 with its ghastly "ribbons")
1c) Make Scale to 100%, Spacing and Position to "Normal"
1d) On the "Text Effects" tab here, set to "None"
1e) Save this file

2) Having updated the TM you're using so that it overwrites all segments with the segments in the problem .sdlxliff, add the .doc file to the project, prepare, then open.

3) Do a test target generation (as per Jeff Whittaker's suggestion)... hopefully this will work OK.

4) Go through this file making any necessary changes.

5) Generate target translation...

In my case, a file of 7,500 words of French with, as I say, some complex formatting, I found that a number of segments had spurious extra tags (formatting marks), most of which I had managed to correct using the procedure under 1a) above.

* (Geek alert: this explanation is a bit technical)
This procedure is to prevent all sorts of spurious additional tags appearing in the body of the text when the .doc file is converted to .sdlxliff. Disclaimer: THIS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOUR PDF/DOCX. I worked out that this was what I needed to do with my particular PDF because I opened the .doc file produced from the .docx produced by SDL from the PDF in LibreOffice and saved this file as an .fodt file.

.fodt files are basically LibreOffice files ("Open Document" format) in which everything (all their blood and guts) is on display: the full structure of .fodt files is easy to examine using a text editor such as TextPad.

From this I was able to deduce that the spurious tags found were largely due to minor and completely spurious variations in text formatting, which needed to be ironed out in order not to generate these spurious tags when converting to .sdlxliff.

[Edited at 2015-12-20 09:38 GMT]
Collapse

Marcia Galdi
Marcia Galdi  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:38
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
Thanks for the help, Mr JRK Jan 11, 2016

JRK wrote:

You should change for "File Types" option from "[Tools]-[Option]-[File Types]-[PDF]-[Common]" before open PDF file or create new project.

Default setting of "Extract hyperlinks:" is "Always process hyperlinks.".
You change to "Extract only hyperlinks text" or "Never process hyperlinks".

After convert to SDLXLIFF file then you should test "Save source as.." before translate.
If you can save "source file(DOC or DOCX file)", it is no problem on SDLXLIFF file before translate.

Best Regards,

alpia
alpia  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2010)
German to Czech
+ ...
Many thanks for Mr. JRK....perfect! You saved me:- )))) Jan 27, 2016

Solution Oct 15, 2012

You should change for "File Types" option from "[Tools]-[Option]-[File Types]-[PDF]-[Common]" before open PDF file or create new project.

After convert to SDLXLIFF file then you should test "Save source as.." before translate.
If you can save "source file(DOC or DOCX file)",
... See more
Solution Oct 15, 2012

If you can save "source file(DOC or DOCX file)", it is no problem on SDLXLIFF file before translate.
--------------------

perfect solution! many thanks! very helpful.
best regards
Martina
Collapse

Jose Fernandez
Jose Fernandez
Local time: 03:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
My two cents Jul 19, 2016

I came across the exact same problem. I tried changing the way Trados handles hyperlinks and that did not work. I then tried working with the DOCX file that was automatically generated when I added the files to the project and I got the same error. What worked for me was to open the DOCX file that was created and save it to DOC (Word 97-2003) in the Save As menu of Word.

Hope that can be of use for someone out there!

Isabel Estevez Higueras
Isabel Estevez Higueras
Spain
Local time: 11:38
Member (2011)
French to Spanish
Urgent help for message: "The context list is null. Could not get the last child" Aug 20, 2016

Hi!

I'm really desperated! I've been all the long night trying all the solution of this forum without success.

I use Trados 2011. The file PDF has 44 pages. My deadline is today and I don't know what more I can do.

Can somebody help me, please?

Kindly,

Isabel

Gerardo Cáceres
Gerardo Cáceres
Local time: 04:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
I Think I finally fixed it! Mar 22, 2017

I know this bug is a couple of years' old and I don't know if anyone other than me still uses Studio 11, but I found a way to fix it! Or well, at least in all the situations where I've used it, it seems to get the job done.
Here's how:

1- Close the error message
2- File>Save As...
3- choose a different location than where the previous SDLXIFF file used to be
4- in that NEW location, also rename the file. Just rename it "1" or "new file" or something short. I
... See more
I know this bug is a couple of years' old and I don't know if anyone other than me still uses Studio 11, but I found a way to fix it! Or well, at least in all the situations where I've used it, it seems to get the job done.
Here's how:

2- File>Save As...
4- in that NEW location, also rename the file. Just rename it "1" or "new file" or something short. I think renaming it something short is essential
5- hit SAVE
6- Now save your translation and the problem should now be solved!

I'll be posting this on all the "content null" posts I can find in case it's helpful to anyone else, so if you see it all over Proz, it's not Spam! it's just joy at finally having cracked this pesky S.O.B.!
Collapse

Isabel Estevez Higueras
Isabel Estevez Higueras
Spain
Member (2011)
French to Spanish
Thanks Gerardo! Now I use Studio 15. Mar 28, 2017

GerardoCáceres wrote:

Here's how:

2- File>Save As...
4- in that NEW location, also rename the file. Just rename it "1" or "new file" or something short. I think renaming it something short is essential
5- hit SAVE

I'll be posting this on all the "content null" posts I can find in case it's helpful to anyone else, so if you see it all over Proz, it's not Spam! it's just joy at finally having cracked this pesky S.O.B.!

Ekaterina Ponchak
Ekaterina Ponchak  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Russian
+ ...
that's not working....... Apr 20, 2017

GerardoCáceres wrote:

Here's how:

2- File>Save As...
5- hit SAVE

ELSAID ABDELHAMID
ELSAID ABDELHAMID
Local time: 12:38
English to Arabic
+ ...
This solution is perfect!! thanks Sep 28, 2017

christenino wrote:

Hi

I experienced the same problem. It has to do with PDF-conversion. I imported two PDF-files into Trados and one worked perfectly (output Word), whilst the other did not. I adopted the advice given, i.e.go to the folder where you created the project, and there you find a file, which has been Trados- converted from PDF to Word. Work with this file and the problem is past.

Best Regards,

Christenino

regis9
regis9
Canada
Local time: 04:38
French to English
+ ...
ppff Feb 27, 2019

"I hope in future Trados developers will fix this bug with PDF files." Wishful thinking!! 7 years later and probably as many new versions of the software at 300 euros special renewal price each, the problem is still there... Years of frustration with SDL not fixing their bugs... ☻☻☻

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Severe bug: The context list is null. Could not get the last child.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »