Passolo: Trados Studio Ad-in and ITD Export problem
Thread poster: Dee1
Dee1
Dee1
Local time: 14:27
Jun 17, 2011

Hello, I seem to have problems getting my Passolo 2011 to communicate with my Trados Studio 2009. I fail to connect to .sdltm translation memories and, most crucially for me, I can export ITD files but _not_ import them. This is unfortunate since I'm receiving a lot of ITD files in my job that I would like to work with in Passolo. The error message I get in the import dialogue is: "Can not open the IDList file C:\Users\andallthesearchpath\filename.pid (the extension .pid seems a bit strange to m... See more
Hello, I seem to have problems getting my Passolo 2011 to communicate with my Trados Studio 2009. I fail to connect to .sdltm translation memories and, most crucially for me, I can export ITD files but _not_ import them. This is unfortunate since I'm receiving a lot of ITD files in my job that I would like to work with in Passolo. The error message I get in the import dialogue is: "Can not open the IDList file C:\Users\andallthesearchpath\filename.pid (the extension .pid seems a bit strange to me since these are .itd files). I'm not sure if this is connected to the Trados Studio error, but I figured it was a suspect for the misbehaviour.

Anyway, the Passolo Ad-in "SDL Trados Studio" seems to be problematic for me. When I try to get in touch with .sdltm translation memories from Passolo I'm getting the error message:

"ERROR - Please install SDL Trados Studio to use this addin.
If it is already installed, provide the installation directory on addin's settings.xml file."

I've found a "settings.xml" file in SDL Passolo 2011 > System > DNTradosStudio and tried to enter the directory there. This is advanced business for me, though, but I tried both with C:\Program Files\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\SDLTradosStudio.exe and C:\Program Files\SDL\SDL Trados Studio without result, written out like this (I'm replacing < and > wth [ and ] to make the post appear correctly here):

[InstallLocation]C:\Program Files\SDL\SDL Trados Studio[/InstallLocation]

Any help with getting my Passolo to communicate with Trados Studio would be extremely appreciated!!
Collapse

Achim Herrmann
Achim Herrmann
Local time: 14:27
English to German
2 different issues Jun 20, 2011

Hello,

I think these are 2 different issue that are not related.

ITD export/import
The idea behind the ITD export/import is to offer the possibility to translate SDL Passolo projects in SDLX. When exporting strings into the ITD format SDL Passolo is storing references to all strings into a PID file. Only using this PID file we are able to correctly import back the translations into the project.

So this function was not designed to simply trans
... See more
Hello,

I think these are 2 different issue that are not related.

ITD export/import
The idea behind the ITD export/import is to offer the possibility to translate SDL Passolo projects in SDLX. When exporting strings into the ITD format SDL Passolo is storing references to all strings into a PID file. Only using this PID file we are able to correctly import back the translations into the project.

So this function was not designed to simply translate ITD files from SDLX within SDL Passolo. This will explain why this error message comes up.

SDL Trados Studio connection
SDL Passolo is using different methods to find out where SDL Trados Studio is installed on your systems. If all these methods fail you have to insert the installation directory of SDL Trados Studio into the file settings.xml. You should insert C:\Program Files\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1.

Achim Herrmann
SDL Passolo Business Consultant
Collapse

Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:27
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
The same Oct 25, 2011

Dear Dee1,

I receive the same error message. Did you manage to find the solution? Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Dee1 wrote:

Hello, I seem to have problems getting my Passolo 2011 to communicate with my Trados Studio 2009. I fail to connect to .sdltm translation memories and, most crucially for me, I can export ITD files but _not_ import them. This is unfortunate since I'm receiving a lot of ITD files in my job that I would like to work with in Passolo. The error message I get in the import dialogue is: "Can not open the IDList file C:\Users\andallthesearchpath\filename.pid (the extension .pid seems a bit strange to me since these are .itd files). I'm not sure if this is connected to the Trados Studio error, but I figured it was a suspect for the misbehaviour.

Anyway, the Passolo Ad-in "SDL Trados Studio" seems to be problematic for me. When I try to get in touch with .sdltm translation memories from Passolo I'm getting the error message:

"ERROR - Please install SDL Trados Studio to use this addin.
If it is already installed, provide the installation directory on addin's settings.xml file."

I've found a "settings.xml" file in SDL Passolo 2011 > System > DNTradosStudio and tried to enter the directory there. This is advanced business for me, though, but I tried both with C:\Program Files\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\SDLTradosStudio.exe and C:\Program Files\SDL\SDL Trados Studio without result, written out like this (I'm replacing < and > wth [ and ] to make the post appear correctly here):

[InstallLocation]C:\Program Files\SDL\SDL Trados Studio[/InstallLocation]

Any help with getting my Passolo to communicate with Trados Studio would be extremely appreciated!!

[Редактировалось 2011-10-25 13:25 GMT]

Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:27
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
To Achim Oct 25, 2011

Dear Achim,

Actually I tried to insert the path to SDL Trados Studio 2011 the way you propose, but unfortunately it does not help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passolo: Trados Studio Ad-in and ITD Export problem

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »