Importing file from WinAlign to Studio
Thread poster: Laval
Feb 4, 2011

I aligned my two texts in WinAlign, being careful to tick tmx on the export tab, saved it and exported it. However, when I come to import it to my TM in Studio, the file is not available for selection. What am I doing wrong?

I've done this numerous times in previous versions and it always worked like a charm. What happened?

Maurice Devroye
Maurice Devroye
United States
Local time: 07:22
English to French
Another compatibility question Feb 4, 2011

Afaik WinAlign is not (yet) included in Studio 2009. Therefore, here is how I do my alignment work:

1. perform alignment inTrados 2007 and create a .txt export file (txt is the only format available afaik)
2. import that .txt file into a Workbench TM
3. either upgrade the Workbench TM or create a .tmx export file which can be imported directly into a Studio 2009 (sdltm) TM

If there is another procedure, I w
... See more
Afaik WinAlign is not (yet) included in Studio 2009. Therefore, here is how I do my alignment work:

1. perform alignment inTrados 2007 and create a .txt export file (txt is the only format available afaik)
2. import that .txt file into a Workbench TM
3. either upgrade the Workbench TM or create a .tmx export file which can be imported directly into a Studio 2009 (sdltm) TM

If there is another procedure, I would like to know more about it.

( Here is what two feet of snow look like in NY - Cheers, MD)

[Edited at 2011-02-05 04:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-02-05 04:57 GMT]
Collapse

Laval
Laval
TOPIC STARTER
Files appear to be hidden Feb 5, 2011

Thanks Maurice, but it is now available with Studio since they fixed a bunch of bugs.

The problem appears to be that those files are hidden because when I try to again save the file in WinAlign with "save as," I see all the other attempts I made - so the files are there, it's just that the TM window can't see them. Also, when I try to display all what is in that folder (Start / Documents), I don't seem them either - which was not the case when I WinAligned files a few months ago.... See more
Thanks Maurice, but it is now available with Studio since they fixed a bunch of bugs.

The problem appears to be that those files are hidden because when I try to again save the file in WinAlign with "save as," I see all the other attempts I made - so the files are there, it's just that the TM window can't see them. Also, when I try to display all what is in that folder (Start / Documents), I don't seem them either - which was not the case when I WinAligned files a few months ago.

Anyone know a magic trick to make the files appear?
Collapse

Roy OConnor (X)
Roy OConnor (X)
Local time: 12:22
German to English
Check the path Feb 5, 2011

If you do your alignment in WinAlign and save as tmx, you should be able to directly import it into Studio. If you left click on the relevant TM in the list of TMs in the TM window, then right click and select import, you are presented with the files for selection. If none are listed, press Add files and then you can browse to the path where you saved your tmx. Add your tmx and proceed.

I know this works as I did it only the other day!

Roy

Laval
Laval
TOPIC STARTER
Files not there Feb 5, 2011

Thanks Roy, that is what I have been doing all along, but the files are not displayed. As I said in my second post, they seem to be hidden.

Maurice Devroye
Maurice Devroye
United States
English to French
Found the Export tab (in Settings/Project) Feb 5, 2011

Finally discovered the Export tab in the WinAlign Settings. Choosing .tmx as the default seems to work fine. Thanks for the tip, Laval and Roy.

julienwp (X)
julienwp (X)
France
English to French
Select *.* in the file type drop-down menu Feb 6, 2011

Laval wrote:

Thanks Roy, that is what I have been doing all along, but the files are not displayed. As I said in my second post, they seem to be hidden.

Hi,

For some reason, you have to select *.* in the file type menu to display TMX files (the TMX option doesn't display anything).

Hope this helps.

Julien

Laval
Laval
TOPIC STARTER
Where is that "file type" menu? Feb 6, 2011

Thanks Julian, but where is that "file type" menu you mention?

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Do not export TMX from WinAlign Feb 6, 2011

Let me remind you all that SDL does not recommend exporting directly TMX from WinAlign. Instead, one should export to TXT, import this into a newly created 2007 TM and then upgrade this TM to 2009 format.

See the following post
<
... See more
Let me remind you all that SDL does not recommend exporting directly TMX from WinAlign. Instead, one should export to TXT, import this into a newly created 2007 TM and then upgrade this TM to 2009 format.

See the following post
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/180560-unable_to_import_txt_file_into_tm.html#1584943

Walter
Collapse

Maurice Devroye
Maurice Devroye
United States
English to French
Will importing/exporting/re-importing damage the tags? Feb 8, 2011

Thanks Walter. It seems we cannot escape having to use the Workbench TM (my usual procedure, as I already said above, even though it takes longer).

Then what about tagged files?

Are too many export/import/export operations damaging the tags?

Is the best option to always upgrade from a .tmw TM to a .sdltm TM (as Walter says)?

Any experience(s) in that department?

Thanks, MD

[Edited at 2011-02-0
... See more
Thanks Walter. It seems we cannot escape having to use the Workbench TM (my usual procedure, as I already said above, even though it takes longer).

Then what about tagged files?

Are too many export/import/export operations damaging the tags?

Is the best option to always upgrade from a .tmw TM to a .sdltm TM (as Walter says)?

Any experience(s) in that department?

Thanks, MD

[Edited at 2011-02-09 00:17 GMT]
Collapse

Laval
Laval
TOPIC STARTER
Aligning files for use in Studio Feb 17, 2011

A kind soul at SDL gave me the following simple method for aligning files and creating a TM for use in Studio:

Create a new project in WinAlign and set the languages and the name.

Add the pre-translated files (one or several sets) in the Files tab and align the file names.

Leave all the rest as default settings - default is best in most cases. Then Align the Project.

Next, open the files and check the alignment in each one (if you have
... See more
A kind soul at SDL gave me the following simple method for aligning files and creating a TM for use in Studio:

Create a new project in WinAlign and set the languages and the name.

Add the pre-translated files (one or several sets) in the Files tab and align the file names.

Leave all the rest as default settings - default is best in most cases. Then Align the Project.

Next, open the files and check the alignment in each one (if you have more than one pair). Once you're happy with the alignment in all of the files, select File-Export Project. Again this can be done one pair at a time if wanted.

You will see that actually the only option for this particular case is txt.

There are now quite a lot of files in the folder. The Word documents you started with, the TTX docs created as part of the alignment process (not bilingual though), 1 PJT file which is the WinAlign Project and a single TXT export which is a Translation Memory containing the aligned pairs.

Upgrade the TXT as a Studio TM (Studio, Tools, Upgrade TM, then select the TXT file you created).

A message is displayed saying that this may take a while (depends on the size of the TM).

Click ok and then just click Next on everything.

The next message asks if you want to delete the temporary files created during the upgrade. Having the TXT and the new SDLTM is usually enough, so click “yes”.

TA DA! you have a new TM you can add to others you use for your translations.

The alternative would be to use Workbench, but this method is the easiest of all.
Collapse

Юрий Шитиков
Юрий Шитиков  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:22
English to Russian
+ ...
Resolved Aug 26, 2016

Maurice Devroye wrote:

Finally discovered the Export tab in the WinAlign Settings. Choosing .tmx as the default seems to work fine. Thanks for the tip, Laval and Roy.

Thanks, Maurice! Your solution was exactly what I needed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing file from WinAlign to Studio

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »