How to avoid being sleepy after lunch?
Thread poster: Erudites
Erudites
Erudites  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:11
Danish to English
+ ...
Jan 14, 2013

Do you experience those drowsy afternoons soon after lunch, when usually, you need to be at peak of your efficiency at work. I suggest you some easy tips to keep your eyes open lest you miss something important – in the blink of an eye!

http://letstip.com/blog/how-to-avoid-being-sleepy-after-lunch

Marvin Sun
Marvin Sun  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 01:41
English to Chinese
Drowsy? Take a nap Jan 14, 2013

Good article, thanks for sharing. Since working as a freelancer, I usually take a nap when I feel drowsy. I think it’s an inner calling for rest from human body when feeling drowsy. It signals that we need to take care of our health.

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 19:41
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Marvin Jan 14, 2013

A short nap always gets me going again, and it's become a regular habit (actually, if the job is boring I can have two or three naps in the course of the day!)

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Yes but Jan 14, 2013

Always make it a short nap so you don't go into deep sleep and then wake up feeling really dull.

Wordrow (X)

Neil Cross
Neil Cross
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:41
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Pro nap Jan 14, 2013

One of the great joys of being a freelancer is being able to take a "power nap" - or siesta, as I prefer to call it

And there are health benefits too...

"The siesta habit has recently been associated with a 37% reduction in coronary mortality, possibly due to reduced cardiovascular stress mediated by daytim
... See more
One of the great joys of being a freelancer is being able to take a "power nap" - or siesta, as I prefer to call it

"The siesta habit has recently been associated with a 37% reduction in coronary mortality, possibly due to reduced cardiovascular stress mediated by daytime sleep (Naska et al., 2007)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siesta
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Siesta or Jan 14, 2013

... try eating less?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:41
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Avoid carbohydrates at lunch Jan 14, 2013

Eat vegetables, protein, but not much pasta, potato, rice etc. Save the pasta for the (late) evening.

Wordrow (X)

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Agree.. Jan 14, 2013

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Eat vegetables, protein, but not much pasta, potato, rice etc. Save the pasta for the (late) evening.

And above all no alchol:)

Erudites
Erudites  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:11
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree with you..here is another piece on advantages of power nap Jan 14, 2013

Neil Cross wrote:

"The siesta habit has recently been associated with a 37% reduction in coronary mortality, possibly due to reduced cardiovascular stress mediated by daytime sleep (Naska et al., 2007)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siesta

Sure..here are the advantages and issues related to power nap..
http://letstip.com/blog/health-benefits-of-a-power-nap

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:41
English to Spanish
Sleepy time! Jan 14, 2013

I favor invigorating naps (and I consider them one of the perks of being a freelancer!), but, being a heavy sleeper myself, on occasion I got up drowsy and more asleep than before the nap, or even worse ran the risk of sleeping 6 hours straight after turning off the alarm clock in my sleep...

I researched the subject a bit and, as someone said here, it was indeed because I would artificially wake up during the deep slumber part of the sleep cycle. Now when I need to take a nap I use
... See more
I favor invigorating naps (and I consider them one of the perks of being a freelancer!), but, being a heavy sleeper myself, on occasion I got up drowsy and more asleep than before the nap, or even worse ran the risk of sleeping 6 hours straight after turning off the alarm clock in my sleep...

I researched the subject a bit and, as someone said here, it was indeed because I would artificially wake up during the deep slumber part of the sleep cycle. Now when I need to take a nap I use http://sleepyti.me/ (the zzz button to take a quick nap and only do one cycle, or the set time to wake up daily - if I'm already past my "bedtime" it's better to wait longer before heading to bed an do one less cycle than wake up feeling like a zombie).

This honestly does wonders when you need to rest and still wake up fully lucid and ready to keep on working!
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
Never drowsy Jan 14, 2013

I never feel drowsy and I never need a nap unless I'm sick. If I force myself to have one, I just stay awake worrying about all the time I'm wasting. What I do need is a mid-afternoon cup of coffee plus a snack.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:41
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Take a walk Jan 14, 2013

A 20 minute walk after lunch will not only help fight drowsiness but is healthy as well.

Edit: I only read the article after posting this, and sure enough that's what they're recommending as well. A bit of exercise works wonders.

[Edited at 2013-01-14 19:14 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sleepy? Jan 14, 2013

Only in the morning after waking up and before my very first espresso! Like Tina, I only need a nap during the day if I am ill with a fever...

[Edited at 2013-01-14 21:48 GMT]

why we get sleepy after lunch or meal Mar 24, 2017

When we eat, the energy is diverted to our digestive system for digestion. This relaxes and slows down the rest of our body. This a big reason behind the feeling sleepy soon after a meal.
How to avoid it: https://thewellnesscorner.com/article/others/sleepy-after-lunch

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Agree Mar 24, 2017

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

And above all no alchol:)

I agree - one small glass of wine at lunch, and I'm fast asleep for the whole afternoon. Funnily enough, that doesn't happen if I have a glass of wine in the evening.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to avoid being sleepy after lunch?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »