Trados (2009 Studio) randomly ignores repetitions and matches?
Thread poster: Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 13:07
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Oct 20, 2016

I need help quickly.

I had one file, created TM, it went more or else OK. Now added the second file whose content has 50-70% matches to the TM I created, but TM is not recognizing them or assisting me in the process at all. It does, randomly, recognize just some matches, but most does not.

I have wasted a lot of time reading troubleshooting tips but nothing helped.

Can somebody provide a solution quickly because I am spending hours on this instead of on tra
... See more
I need help quickly.

I had one file, created TM, it went more or else OK. Now added the second file whose content has 50-70% matches to the TM I created, but TM is not recognizing them or assisting me in the process at all. It does, randomly, recognize just some matches, but most does not.

I have wasted a lot of time reading troubleshooting tips but nothing helped.

Can somebody provide a solution quickly because I am spending hours on this instead of on translation which I need to complete soon?

I may have messed something in the settings, not sure.

Thanks for quick help.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
What I'd do Oct 20, 2016

Hi Lingua 5B,

I'm no techy, but I'd do either of these, the first being the simplest and fastest:

Start from scratch by exporting contents of TM to a newly created TM, and see how it goes.

Or - it's probably some (un)checked box in the maze of stuff under Options. Slightly longer method, but if you read through all the boxes to tick, it's probably one of them. Sometimes I've suddenly noticed up above in the Concordance etc. panes "No TM opened", so it's a m
... See more
Hi Lingua 5B,

I'm no techy, but I'd do either of these, the first being the simplest and fastest:

Start from scratch by exporting contents of TM to a newly created TM, and see how it goes.

Or - it's probably some (un)checked box in the maze of stuff under Options. Slightly longer method, but if you read through all the boxes to tick, it's probably one of them. Sometimes I've suddenly noticed up above in the Concordance etc. panes "No TM opened", so it's a matter of applying it again.

Very best regards,

Mervyn
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update. Oct 20, 2016

I tried creating a new TM, but it does not work, actually. : (

It looked like it worked, but now I can see it does not.

The TM is open, the floating window is there, but it appears like there is no communication whatsoever between my file and the TM. Never experienced anything like this before.

[Edited at 2016-10-20 09:18 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just a guess ... Oct 20, 2016

... but try selecting the entire file, copy it and give it another name (sometimes if the file name is too long, Studio complains). Then apply it to new TM. But really, I'm not qualified - Paul and Co. at SDL are usually pretty quick about workarounds.

Mervyn

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can see some progress now. Oct 20, 2016

Some matches appeared and started popping up.

I am not sure if this is related, but Trados ignored my specific TM (for my set pair) and wouldn't let it be in "All language pair TM" list for some reason, I couldn't get it to be there, but it was always separated. Now (somehow?) it finally ended up there in the "general" list and it seems like the communication is back.

Can somebody explain if this makes sense and how it happened, and whether it was related to the problem
... See more
Some matches appeared and started popping up.

I am not sure if this is related, but Trados ignored my specific TM (for my set pair) and wouldn't let it be in "All language pair TM" list for some reason, I couldn't get it to be there, but it was always separated. Now (somehow?) it finally ended up there in the "general" list and it seems like the communication is back.

Can somebody explain if this makes sense and how it happened, and whether it was related to the problem?

Thanks.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Might be divine intervention Oct 20, 2016

Somebody up there messing around with one of those huge levers like in the Frankenstein films, with two positions: OFF (Foul up Lingua 5B's CAT) and ON (Plain sailing for Lingua 5B).

Anyway, glad it's back, or seems to be.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
: D Oct 20, 2016

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Somebody up there messing around with one of those huge levers like in the Frankenstein films, with two positions: OFF (Foul up Lingua 5B's CAT) and ON (Plain sailing for Lingua 5B).

Anyway, glad it's back, or seems to be.

Translation process takes up much less time than Trados tweaking and fixing. I could have finished the file by now if it weren't for the mazes of Trados (maze is a good word, btw).

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
You can't possibly ... Oct 20, 2016

... be suggesting that CATs slow you down, rather than speed you up? That's the whole point of getting one, surely? Haven't you seen all those photos of smiling translators lounging around at their computers (in suits, some of them (er, why??)) happily clicking buttons and letting the CAT do it all for them, boosting productivity/quality/earnings the more they use it?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados (2009 Studio) randomly ignores repetitions and matches?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »