Jan Lindeman
Jan Lindeman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 17:00
English to Slovak
+ ...
Mar 27, 2017

Hello,
I would like to ask you for help regarding how to proceed when one wants to move to Germany and (continue) his/her translation services as a freelance translator in Germany (in particular in Bavaria). I would need to know what steps one must take (possibly all of them) in order to be fully registered. Is the process difficult? Also, I have information and I hope it is not correct that the threshold for VAT payments is 24 000 EUR. Is that correct?
Many thanks for advice/help.<
... See more
Hello,
I would like to ask you for help regarding how to proceed when one wants to move to Germany and (continue) his/her translation services as a freelance translator in Germany (in particular in Bavaria). I would need to know what steps one must take (possibly all of them) in order to be fully registered. Is the process difficult? Also, I have information and I hope it is not correct that the threshold for VAT payments is 24 000 EUR. Is that correct?
Many thanks for advice/help.
jan
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:00
Danish to English
+ ...
Debated not long ago Mar 27, 2017

It was debated not long ago on http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/296737-working_in_germany.html .

You can probably find many answers there.

The VAT threshold is quite low, but it is often an advantage to be VAT-registered, as you get VAT paid on expenses back, while it makes no difference for outsourcers whether or not you are VAT-reg
... See more
It was debated not long ago on http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/296737-working_in_germany.html .

You can probably find many answers there.

The VAT threshold is quite low, but it is often an advantage to be VAT-registered, as you get VAT paid on expenses back, while it makes no difference for outsourcers whether or not you are VAT-registered.
Collapse

Katrin Braams
Katrin Braams  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
No special requirements Apr 8, 2017

You do not need to register yourself anywhere. There are no special requirements for working as a freelance translator in Germany, as translator is not a protected job title. Everybody can call himself/herself a translator. Only if you want to be able to certify your translations, i.e. act as a sworn translator, you will need to fulfill certain (relatively strict) requirements. Of course, this statement only applies to your question about being a translator in Germany, not to respective work/res... See more
You do not need to register yourself anywhere. There are no special requirements for working as a freelance translator in Germany, as translator is not a protected job title. Everybody can call himself/herself a translator. Only if you want to be able to certify your translations, i.e. act as a sworn translator, you will need to fulfill certain (relatively strict) requirements. Of course, this statement only applies to your question about being a translator in Germany, not to respective work/residence permits you might need if you are not a EU citizen.

The VAT treshold is 17500€.
Collapse

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
registering Apr 9, 2017

GermanLaw1 wrote:

You do not need to register yourself anywhere.

Well. You need to register your residence in Germany. You also need to register as a freelancer in order to get the Steuernummer which you need to put on your invoices.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German freelance translators based in Germany

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »